It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Made Girl Remove Jesus Magnet - PTO Then Bans Photos

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

School Made Girl Remove Jesus Magnet - PTO Then Bans Photos

www.ydr.com

A mother alleges Wrightsville Elementary School officials discriminated against her daughter when she was told to remove a magnet from her desk because it said, "Smile, Jesus Loves You."

Tawny Lehman said her daughter, fifth-grader Laurie Lehman, was asked to remove the magnet March 30, after a teacher noticed it.

"What possible harm could this magnet do?" her mother asked the Eastern York School Board during its April 5 meeting. "I mean, what if a white supremacist demanded that a magnet featuring a black boy be removed because they found it offensive, would students have to comply?"
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/10/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I can understand the Magnet, desk issue here because the desk technically is owned by the state/government so that is a none issue for me.

What is an issue though is this portion of the story. (Same link)

Issue extends to yearbook photos

In addition to the magnet issue, Lehman said she was also disturbed that a photo of Laurie meant for the yearbook would not be included because she was wearing a shirt that promoted Jesus.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have been under the impression that SCOTUS has already ruled as long as a photo is not obscene you cannot prohibit it. If this assumption is correct, can this student sue the PTO for violating her first amendment rights?

Next question are you worried about current trend of schools and PTO's etc getting carried away in their rulings?

www.ydr.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I have to say this is overkill. Keep religion out of shools, sure, but this is just a bit too far. There is usually a line that has to be crossed, and I don't see how it was crossed here.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
I have to say this is overkill. Keep religion out of shools, sure, but this is just a bit too far. There is usually a line that has to be crossed, and I don't see how it was crossed here.

Yes it is over kil and needs to be stopped.

Not exactly banning religion or expression there of but here is a mother that wants Peanut Butter banned from her sons school

Just how far can they continue at banning things? First recess, then tag, religious items :shk:

I only inluded the PB because that also relates to a school being requested to ban something rediiculous.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I only inluded the PB because that also relates to a school being requested to ban something rediiculous.

Not really, this is a health issue. Some people are VERY allergic to peanuts, they can die from contact with it.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
its like when the teacher closes the window because one person is cold, but then all the 20 other people in the room are now hot. but who cares what they think right? someone is always going to moan about whatever situation arises. welcome to the land of political correctness.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Just how far can they continue at banning things? First recess, then tag, religious items :shk:

Would the photo be excluded if she were sporting a burkha? promoting Islam.

Would the photo be excluded if her shirt displayed the NEA symbol?

Would the photo be excluded if it was a pic of Pres. Bush?

How abut a shirt with a pic of Sen. Clinton?

Issue uniforms, then there would be no time wasted on political correctness using our youth as examples.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Issue uniforms, then there would be no time wasted on political correctness using our youth as examples.

someone would just complain about how polyester makes them itchy, or how they dont like to wear skirts or how argyle is against their religion...

everyone wants to be equal until they are treated that way. then they want to know whats being done for them. it reminds me of affirmative action.

[edit on 4/10/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Political correctness run amok. We are approaching the "grand" society we all "thought" we wanted.
What's it going to be next? You can't wear blue because it might "offend" those who like the color red. This is crazy.

Why do I care that someone has a magnet that says "Jesus loves you"? How is that offensive? Yet, I guarantee you there is someone out there who'd find something offensive about it. The institutions in this country are catering to the whims of the minority...

[edit on 10-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Not really, this is a health issue. Some people are VERY allergic to peanuts, they can die from contact with it.

Yes I agree it is different but that was not my intent in using it as an example of a ridiculous ban because there are an estimate 12 million who have food allergies in the US. Of that two million are school age and no other mother made a similar request, well not that we know of that is and hence my motive for using it as an example 999,9999 can cope with it but only one gets carried away. Again read my disclaimer one that I know of.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Would the photo be excluded if she were sporting a burkha? promoting Islam.

Good question I would like to know the answer to that one myself

SCOTUS ruled on that issue back in the early forties private schools can mandate uniforms public schools cannot. It has to do with the classes of people schools wanted kids to wear white shirts and dress pants, however SCOTUS ruled not all parents could afford dress pant and white shirts, hence the reason you now see blue jeans allowed because they were for the most part part of normal dress for most children back then.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The whole public education system just gets me peeved. I feel sorry for parents who have children in the system now. The last of my three is graduating early this year so I am relieved.

Think about, when I went to school, 70's, it was a place to learn, some liked it some didn't, schools reinforced parents in those days so disruptions and any misbehavior was handled swiftly by school admin and parental admonishment.

In the late 80s early 90s (I am not sure the exact year), schools started surveys concerning parent-child relationships, ie discipline, and went further to inform the children that they are protected by the school and if the child thought they were being unfairly treated at home ther was a counselor at school to help them. One of my sons one day told me that if I punished him, he could have me turned in by the school and I would be punished. Needless to say, I was upset and from that day on I had to fight even harder to guide my sons in a direction to try and give them enough of a grasp on life, an ability to know what is right and what is wrong.

Fast forward to today, you see the wide-spread violence, disruption, you name it is happening, and surprise surprise how does the NEA and teachers and schools react to this anarchy in the public school system?

You guessed it... It is the parent who is to blame.....

I am not buying it for one minute, and my heart goes out to the parents who are having to deal with situation now and in the future.

Forgive my rant, I hope it isn't too off topic..

[edit on 2007/4/10 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This is going too far, I agree. We should keep religion out of schools but students should be able to express any religion they wish.

There needs to be a middle-ground to all this.

Not to mention things like this give extremist Christians more support.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
You guessed it... It is the parent who is to blame.....

I am not buying it for one minute, and my heart goes out to the parents who are having to deal with situation now and in the future.

We'll I see where you are coming but but indirectly you can blame the parents> If the parents would stand up for their rights then the school officials could not get away with pushing what they want on others.

We are supposed to be a democratic nation and the majority should rule with some exceptions because we do need certain laws even when we do not agree with them. However when it comes to what happens in schools (that relates to our freesoms) or around them it should be the parents who dictate to the schools that is why we elect a school board. If they are not doing their jobs recall them it has happened here at least twice in the past few years so why not every where?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The NWO only respects one religion:

School distributes satanic sex calendar
Texas parents infuriated by explicit material
www.worldnetdaily.com/new...E_ID=41903

Satanic image found in Pearland, Texas, school (courtesy KHOU-TV)

Local school officials in a suburb of Houston, Texas, are investigating how it was possible that a school police officer handed out calendars to students that featured explicit details on satanic and sexual rituals for every day of the month.

"September 20th is a 'midnight host' whatever that is," said one unidentified parent reading from the calendar. "You should have a blood-type ritual. September 23rd is the fall equinox – you should have an orgy. Activity group sex, any age, any sex."

"They shouldn't be teaching the kids, at 12 years of age, a calendar of satanism. It's just not right," he said.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Note that this isn't a case of another student being offended. I'm willing to bet it's a case of a teacher that doesn't believe in God forcing his/her opinion on these young people and getting off by being in control.

I wouldn't be surprised if the teacher made a big deal out of it in front of the class to further mock the child's belief.

JMO

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Note that this isn't a case of another student being offended. I'm willing to bet it's a case of a teacher that doesn't believe in God forcing his/her opinion on these young people and getting off by being in control.

Whoa,Whoa,Whoa....It is implemented to keep someone from being "offended." By the way, you contradicted your idea that this is not about someone being offended by stating:

I'm willing to bet it's a case of a teacher that doesn'tbelieve in God

It's all about the consideration of someone elses FEELINGS. It's getting to the point we can't even say God anymore because it may "offend" someone, or disrupt their FEELINGS. Again, it's all a bunch of politically correct hubalub.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Schools have had this superior attitude towards parents forever. Now we have a tool to take back authority of our kids, email. Don't phone the school in incidents like this. Email the teacher, no satifaction from his/her reply, no prob. Save ALL communications. Now on to the principle, still not happy? School board, keep remembering to save ALL communication. On to the Ministry of Education. This is going to end up on someones desk. Still unhappy, now it's on to your elected State/Provincial rep. These are the guys that are really in charge of the system. Show them everything you've compiled. They don't want to act on it? Force them, the media because in the end it's the people who are in charge.

I haven't had to go beyond the principle but a friend of mine went the whole gamut and got satisfaction prior to having to go to the media. The key is keeping all emails.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Definately over the top. I'm a little iffy over the magnet, since like someone else said, its school property, but the picture was out of line

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Whoa,Whoa,Whoa....It is implemented to keep someone from being "offended." By the way, you contradicted your idea that this is not about someone being offended by stating:

I'm willing to bet it's a case of a teacher that doesn'tbelieve in God

I didn't say anything about the teacher being offended. I said that he was probably getting off on doing this. Which I'm not sure of, just speculation out of anger I guess.

Also, I thnk it's more about the kids in a situation like this. However I don't disagree with your conclusions of PC gone wild.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join