It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartest animals?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Primates, dolphin, whales, ...

Im no expert but I think dolphins are the smartest species after us and octopus are the smartest invertibrates on this planet.

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by jrod]

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I know pigs are the 10th and chimps are #2. Humans are #1, I know that for a fact.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobody
I know pigs are the 10th and chimps are #2. Humans are #1, I know that for a fact.

uh...evidence? Explanation of how you arrived at this fact?

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Most animals don't kill each other over stupid reasons.
Most fighting it over food and mating.
Humans on the other hand.......

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Love the YODA Jrod
Yoda is the man!

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Dolphins are excellent mimics. They can understand the concept of 'imitate' and copy an action perfectly after seeing it just once. They can also be creative - a trait rarely witnessed in animals.

This is what they say in a documentary I saw in tv a while ago. It was about intelligent animals.
They seemed to think dolphins are smarter than chimps.
It all seems logical after seeing the documentary.

www.bbc.co.uk...

*edit* I added the link.

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by Outtis]

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Dolphins are way cool. They have sex and ride waves for fun, cant say that about chimps. THe military uses them for special ops, though many think the dolphins are treated very inhumane. We need not to piss these creatures off, we all have seen what happened on the Simpsons when the dolphins took over.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Dolphins have bigger brains than us....

But, ours has more folds. If you were to smooth ours out, and smooth out a dolphins, ours would be bigger (more surface area...)

Primates are smarter than dolphins, but they are defintely both the top two....

That Simpson's episode was a classic, hehe.....

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Elephants are known to be pretty smart too.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Crow's are very intelligent as well as squirels and raccons.

But I would have to say the most intelligent would be a Chimpanzie.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here is a link to top 10 smartest animals from one dudes perspective.
www.wonderquest.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I believe dolphins can count and understand basic number concpets like zero too. Chimps are like us so teaching them to do human things is easy. The biggest challenge in teaching dolphins is getting over the species barrier, they have their own language and give themselves a name.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I believe dolphins can count and understand basic number concpets like zero too. Chimps are like us so teaching them to do human things is easy. The biggest challenge in teaching dolphins is getting over the species barrier, they have their own language and give themselves a name.

They name themselves?
wow
Don't suprise me tho.
I knew a guy that worked on a shrimp boat in Savannah, Georgia.
He made some dolphin friends.
The same two always follow him in and they got the fish mixed with with the shrimp catch.
He said they showed him where the shrimp were and he paid them with the fish in the catch.
Trade between the spicies?

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I don�t know, my dog is pretty smart. He has me trained to take him for a walk on command (whimper by the door), play with him and then go pick up the Frisbee when he gets bored. My cat, on the other hand can count. She knows exactly when I open the last can of cat food.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I thought author Douglas Addams solved this by saying mice were? (come on, people... Hitchhikers Guide?)

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
How about mutating viruses...

They adapt them-selve...Isn't this some kind of 'intelligence' form? Or just some law of causes to effect...

If they go throught some kind of 'thinking' process to adapt them selve, considering the microscopic size of their organism, I guess we could consider them very intelligent... Just some random thoughts...

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Primates, dolphin, whales, ...

Im no expert but I think dolphins are the smartest species after us and octopus are the smartest invertibrates on this planet.

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by jrod]

What's your defnition of smart?

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Mutating virus are just evolution at its finest.

There are many kinds of smart like social smarts, adaption smarts, critical thinking.....

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
How about rats?

I've heard that they're one of the most adaptable animal on earth. If somethign really big happenned, and involved radioactivity or anything really hazardous, they would probably have more chances of outliving it than us, humans.

Personnaly, I don't think they're so brilliant. I have rats in my house (well..they're actually mices, but I call them rats, because there presence is unsollicited...and I hate them...and rats sounds more "threathening" than mices...cuz they are threathening...they eat all the #ing wires that there's in my room, so I always have stuff to randomly stop working...damn rats...) and, we went from mouse trap to rats poison. (bromone I think).

And I just keep feeding 'em, and the more I put the more they eat. Are they dumb or what? Don't they know I'm trying to kill 'em all? Why do they keep eating it? (are they tired of eating wires? lol..) And last but not least, when will they #ing die and run out of babies??? Can the poison become uneffective on 'em?
Do I have mutant rats in my house? Will someday the huge rat from TMNT appear and kick my ass? (j/k)

( I don't really expect awnsers to all thoses questions...)

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
You don't by chance live in the house used for the films Ben and Wilbur, do you? Have "Pit and the Pendalum" on VHS? The old movie "Unknown Origin" or Stephan King's "Graveyard Shift", do you?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join