It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Animals...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I remember reading about Dolphins used by the Navy to 'disable' enemy vessels, Dolphins rigged with explosives to 'HONE' in on the enemy ships.
I know it's cruelty to animals, but does anyone here know of present day Military Animals being used in actual wartime?

I would like to know what type of dogs are used in the world's militaries, and other animals, birds, mammals, fish, ect. I know it seems strange but, animals have figured prominently in the world's Militaries for centuries. In IRAQ the enemy I hear is using Pidgeons for communications.

What type of dogs does the Chinese use? How about the Russians?

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
One thing you have to remember is that in a wartime situation the likelihood of human loss of life is expected. It's not pleasant, but it just goes with nature of the beast. The military uses animals in certain instances to help minimize the loss of life(i.e. finding enemy divers, finding bombs, etc..). It is unfortunate when an animal is injured or killed, but if the alternative is human loss of life, I have to pick the lesser evil.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Beautiful piccy of a Rotty, but why oh why, do so many people think that Rotties are used as war dogs?

I am assuming that that was your intention, because of their reputation perhaps? Forgive me if I am wrong.

I owned two Rotties and both were so gentle and comical dogs which does of course, belie the fact that they could be fearsome protectors of both property and their owners. The Romans used them for their strength and ability to pull small carts, as did the Germans during WWII.

Many forces use differing breeds according to their needs. We Brits have always used dogs both for hunting, guarding and for herding cattle and sheep.

I have never heard of British wardogs, although there were plenty of breeds at Melton Mowbray where all military dogs in the UK are trained.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The Soviets planted bombs on thousands of dogs during the second world war, the Germans quickly learned to shoot any and every dog in sight.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
Beautiful piccy of a Rotty, but why oh why, do so many people think that Rotties are used as war dogs?

I am assuming that that was your intention, because of their reputation perhaps? Forgive me if I am wrong.

I owned two Rotties and both were so gentle and comical dogs which does of course, belie the fact that they could be fearsome protectors of both property and their owners. The Romans used them for their strength and ability to pull small carts, as did the Germans during WWII.

Many forces use differing breeds according to their needs. We Brits have always used dogs both for hunting, guarding and for herding cattle and sheep.

I have never heard of British wardogs, although there were plenty of breeds at Melton Mowbray where all military dogs in the UK are trained.

I'd rather have a German Shepherd Fritz, Rotties are prone to 'crack' at tremendous pressure or illnesss. Although many police agencies do utilize them. I have no problem with using whatever type dog that fits the situation. All dogs even muts, are magnificent beings to behold.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
One thing you have to remember is that in a wartime situation the likelihood of human loss of life is expected. It's not pleasant, but it just goes with nature of the beast. The military uses animals in certain instances to help minimize the loss of life(i.e. finding enemy divers, finding bombs, etc..). It is unfortunate when an animal is injured or killed, but if the alternative is human loss of life, I have to pick the lesser evil.

dogs are essential to human survival Blue Raga, using them in war is common sense, I agree about the lesser of human evil.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Id like to see a return to the great war elephants and armor clad rhinos.

I think we've lost the shock and awe value of our modern tanks and assault vehicles. Theyre old news. But to look up and see 50 elephants with armor plating and machine guns mounted on them, yeah, that would inspire some awe.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
thisguyrighthere, I presume you have a cunning plan?

War Elephants? Armoured Rhinos?

Have you been watching Black Adder Goes Forth?

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Back to WWII, bat bombs.

Other animals: military dolphins

Makes sense to use dolphins sonar to locate enemy mines,and help with rescue operations. Besides,seems like there is some kind of strange connection between humans and whales/dolphins.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

Have you been watching Black Adder Goes Forth?

Edmund: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war in Europe, two superblocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way there could never be a war.

Baldrick: But this is a sort of a war, isn't it, sir?

Edmund: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.

George: What was that, sir?

Edmund: It was bollocks.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
armor clad rhinos?
when did that happen?!!

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
armor clad rhinos?
when did that happen?!!

If it never happened it definitely should have. We could armor up some hippos and wilderbeast while we're at it.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Armor clad rhinos did exist, but were not right for fighting due to their bad eyesight, and actually their skin is quite sensitive, going agaisnt what many would think, me inclusive.

It is unsubstantiated that rhinoceros were used for war functions. Analyzing Albrecht Dürer's famous 1515 woodcut, it is possible that the liberties taken with the rhino's design were in fact designs for a suit of armor created for the rhinoceros's fight against an elephant in Portugal.[3] However, rhinos' apparent "thick" or "plated" skin is actually very sensitive and the animals have poor eyesight, limiting their ability to run in any particular direction. Their tendency to charge anything within 10 feet would make them impractical for domestication.

And this is just from Wiki.

en.wikipedia.org...

Interesting subject.

Or maybe something like this should be used.....

[edit on 16-3-2007 by Denied]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well my point was they weern't used in battle fro obvious reasons..
They couldn't be tamed.
I saw one in that movie '300' though..
weird movie..
Had nazi overtones IMHO!

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
LOL!!!!! I'll draw a picture a bit later to show the "future battlefield" but for now, I'll say Russia uses alot of German Shepherds (also my favorite dog, I'm gonna get one soon
) and they use wolves, wolves, according to this documentary I was watching, have more endurance, etc then dogs, the documentary also showed how they put food for the dogs behind a tank, and the dogs would run under the tank with a bomb sticking out which would touch the bottom of the tank armor and destroy the tank...smart, poor dogs, but hey, they are proud soldiers, I bet they are as proud to serve their country as the soldiers

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I guess we remember our dead wether human or dog or horse.

Dog
www.eagleid.com...
www.vdhaonline.org...

Horse

www.uscavalry.org...

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   

the future battlefield, will it look something like what you see above?
Who knows, but in a future war that is supposed to use less "humans", who knows what the world will come up with, who knows, maybe some of the above technology is already being used, lol

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about 3 Para Mortar Platoon.

The sort of stuff they do to each other certainly makes you re-think the way you use the word 'beast'.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
animals are only really truelly afective against smelling for bombs drugs ect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join