It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New ATSNN format. Your opinion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm not liking it as much as the old way. The old way was a lot more interesting. This seems so brief with the little short clip and no commentary inserted by the poster of the message. I also don't like the idea of no more bonus points!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I don't understand why people get so hung up on points.

Seriously, who the hell cares about points?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I like it the way it is now.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
I don't understand why people get so hung up on points.

Seriously, who the hell cares about points?

Its not just the idea of points. Its a decent way to show appreciation too. When you get applause from the mods or atsnn points it is just nice to see appreciation. Some people have gone through a lot of work and research to post some articles. Its just a nice way to say thanks.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I prefer the original way, with editor and reporter positions.

Unfortunately due to legal problems, it seems this is no longer possible.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Unfortunately due to legal problems, it seems this is no longer possible.

Is that what the change was about? legalities? Do you know what it was about? I thought it was just part of the new look & feel.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Its just a nice way to say thanks.

Fair enough.

To answer your question. I think it's pretty cool. I like the new front page.

Too many duplicate threads though.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I like it.
I put it at the top of my ATS favorites section so I can check it frequently. And really, I never read anything in ATSNN before, and found the whole thing a bit confusing.

As far as the points go, I think you get 50 points for posting a story, and 10 points for each reply you get for your post.
Maybe someone can verify that.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Is that what the change was about? legalities? Do you know what it was about? I thought it was just part of the new look & feel.

Yes... the reasons have been outlined in previous threads on the subject.

Short story: the previous ATSNN method created a "derivative work" from the original news story, and would likely be a target for legal action if it continued and/or be became even more popular.

The current method, while admittedly less enticing, is more in-line with accepted practices.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

I prefer the old way also, but for obvious legal reasons it had to change.

One thing I thought might just help is having different Breaking News categories. Such as US Breaking News, International Breaking News, Science Breaking News, Health Breaking News, or some such categories.

I just feel that soooo many articles are being thrown into this one forum now, it's hard to get good discussions going. Before you know it, a good article that may entice some good discussions is half way down the page and then just slips off into oblivion.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I personally hate it now. It's turned into a propaganda mill with the way things are setup now.

I think the whole idea should be scrapped cuz if we cannot legally create derivative works, then what's the point of even having ATSNN or a "Breaking News" forum?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
On the positive side, there is little for anyone to get wrong in submitting news, there is no pending status, or wait time.

You still get much higher points for replies to your submission.. And the best way to get those replies is to find a compelling story and GET INVOLVED in the followup discussions... The commentary you'd place in a news submission in the former ATSNN can still be added in the followup thread.. This means you get the news up quickly, and have time to add more information, links, opinion, commentary etc. in the followup post. The more you put into it, the better the responses will be. And again... Get involved in the followup discussions after you post a news item.

Make the best of it.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

One thing I thought might just help is having different Breaking News categories. Such as US Breaking News, International Breaking News, Science Breaking News, Health Breaking News, or some such categories.

Yes that was another thing I forgot to mention was the sub-headings. Also another thing I miss.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm no fan of the new format. That said, it could be made to work -- IF...
..some standards to the quality and relevance of the submissions were applied. Like it's going now, it is going tabloid.

News flooding instead of relevant news for the community and its audience, to me it seems to be.

I did a quick statistic over the last couple of days of the old format and one or two days of the new format, not reliable, completely unscientific I know, but nontheless giving a hint.

The submissions BEFORE were about 10-12 a day. AFTER they have been in the range of 30++ a day (for yesterday I counted 39). Important submissions suffer the risk of slipping into oblivion before ever noticed, and non-essential ones get caught in senseless bickering. To me that's the definition of a tabloid.

Too much nonsenses comes up now IMO. Some taken out of the context of the original news source, the mods will intervene I can't help but think ...but nothing happens.

Same goes for the myriads of duplicate threads, depending on the mods on. Only one mod have I seen trying to regulate the spamming. But it must be a lot more work for the mods now if they want to keep the forum "clean".

What I think is, there need to be some clearance of the submissions or else it will all be floded. Real important breaking news risk to drown without anyone ever noticing.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
What I think is, there need to be some clearance of the submissions or else it will all be floded. Real important breaking news risk to drown without anyone ever noticing.

If you use this to read the news forum:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
or: www.atsnn.com...
You'll notice that your flagging, viewing, and replying are pretty much doing all the filtering that's needed.

In the past few days, I haven't seen anything featured on that page that shouldn't be there... and it's all automatic and relies 100% on what members do.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Appreciate your answer S.O., thank you very much!

I do check that page regulary, it's a very good reference to what's up and presented to visitors. Quit genius as a filter, you're right.

Think I just have to get used to the phase 'Breaking News' topic moves on Myats.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Its not just the idea of points. Its a decent way to show appreciation too. When you get applause from the mods or atsnn points it is just nice to see appreciation. Some people have gone through a lot of work and research to post some articles. Its just a nice way to say thanks.

I agree. With the old ATSNN I finally achieved the status of "Expert" instead of just "Contributor". That was my only claim to fame here; otherwise I was, and still am, just a nobody.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
One of the best things--or maybe THE best thing--about the new ATSNN is the speed in which a story gets posted.
For example, my posting the story about the stock market decline the other day. With the old format, it would have wallowed waiting for 5 votes. By the time it got voted, the market would ahve been closed for the day.

In a 24/7 news world, every minute counts.
This better serves our members and visitors

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The most important factor (other than the legal issues) is that the members of ATS will decide what they are interested in and what they want to debate. You guys are chosing the content that stays up top, not the other way around. As DTOM points out the stories are up much faster than before as well.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
One of the best things--or maybe THE best thing--about the new ATSNN is the speed in which a story gets posted.
For example, my posting the story about the stock market decline the other day. With the old format, it would have wallowed waiting for 5 votes. By the time it got voted, the market would ahve been closed for the day.

In a 24/7 news world, every minute counts.
This better serves our members and visitors

Well I can't say it was always slow. The mods here usually were on the ball in qualifying stories that counted pretty quickly or else if you sent a U2U and asked they have qualified the story if it was legit.

On the other hand yes it is a little faster but also too a bunch of crap has gotten by under that heading and if it were the old way the Mods would have moved it immediately to where it belonged or as you said would have just sat there without reply (thankfully in some cases)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join