It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam More Popular Among Blacks in Post 9/11 America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Islam More Popular Among Blacks in Post 9/11 America

Source Link: abcnews.go.com

Feb 25, 2007 — ATLANTA (Reuters) - Islam is growing fast among African Americans, who are undeterred by increased scrutiny of Muslims in the United States since the September 11 attacks, according to imams and experts.

Converts within the black community say they are attracted to the disciplines of prayer, the emphasis within Islam on submission to God and the religion's affinity with people who are oppressed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Gazz does this report include the conversion in the jails, that supposedly is becoming a problem? . . .

Well after reading the link I see that this is a different view of Islam, perhaps it will help bring the softer and more benign side of Islam and steer away the bad sentiments that has been feed to the American population about the real meaning of Islam religion.

I wonder if the references to oppression are also because the Black community see the middle east as becoming oppress under the war on terror and the spread of democracy and trying to change the make over of the middle east brings memories of how Africans were subjugated and force to be slaves and become what their master wanted them to be. . .

Actually I never looked before at this side. . .I actually see a connection with the Islam and African roots.

Still I see that Black muslins . . . see themselves separated from Arab muslin but with some affinity coming from sharing the religion. . .

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I believe when it comes to Islam in America, and especially among African Americans, who identify with oppression and many feel oppressed, Islam can be quite attractive. While there is no clear and compelling evidence of radical Islam among Black American Muslims, I believe there are those within the U.S. government who fear the possibility of it, the worst case scenario "Homegrown Radical Islamic Terrorism"

I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. intelligence community is using a high level of surveillance, and covert activity within the American Islamic flock.

Is Islam the enemy?

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well interesting to point out that the particular Mosque in Atlanta his founder a former Black Phanter became Muslin in Jail, I guess some black muslin find their call on religion while serving time . . .he was back in Jail in 2000 for killing a police man, so much for religious dedication . . .

At least is no division of tribal in here and the preaching is about staying free from crime . . .

After 9/11 the place was indeed bugged so as far as keeping surveillance on this type of groups they are doing it anyway.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Is it any wonder? Islam is a religion of anger, murder and violence. The below story outlines the kind of crimes these people commit and then have a revilation while behind bars. I'll bet any money if they don't kill these sub humans they will convert to Islam within a year.

Their victims suffered horrendous trials & torture on their way to death. These people come from the dark side and so does Islam. It is amazing you didn't hear about this on ABC, NBC or CBS. No mainstream coverage. If it was say... someone black being dragged behind a pickup you would hear about it.

mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm wondering if many African Americans are coming to the conclusion that Christianity just hasn't worked for them.

We can argue about the reasons for it but there remains a far larger percentage of people of color in prisons than whites and, armed with those facts, I too would be more likely to embrace religions and philosophies that were not mainstream American were I a black man doing hard time.

Whether its justified or not, many feel like they are victims of oppression from the dominant culture in this country. It would seem only natural that they would look elsewhere for inspiration.

I don't fear diversity in religion. I fear a monopoly. Then again, I live in the state of Utah.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed
Is it any wonder? Islam is a religion of anger, murder and violence.

No offence, but I have a hard time accepting this. There are over 1 billion Muslims in this world, and millions within the United States. I see no conclusive evidence that Islam as a whole is a "religion of anger, murder and violence"

There are radicals within all faiths, some more extreme than others.

As a society I believe the best course is to accept the fact that there is good and bad within all forms of religion.

If we continue to divide the peoples of this world along the lines of religion, we are only setting the stage for more bitter conflicts and possible wars in the future, then again perhaps that is a part of the plan?

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Plenty of people in prison give themselves to Christ also. Many stay the course, others end right back in there.

I am without doubt that this can only lead to good things.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Black men have been converting to Islam for a very long time, especially in the prisons around the country. Malcolm X was converted while doing his stint in the late 1940's. More and more men are being taught the ways of the Sunni in recent years. In more populace areas such as New York, you have a greater number of areas that are mixed with African-American and Muslim families. I think that this is only being reported now to make is seem as Islam is trying to infiltrate our country as if it is something recent. The truth is that Islam has been here for decades and has never been a problem before. The age old war between the two religions , it seems, has never ceased.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well im black and i dont subscribe to Islam. In fact, the majority of blacks in America don't subscribe to Islam. The blacks that do subscribe to Islam are mostly poor, inner city blacks. They probally feel like Christianity isn't benifiting them, so they convert to islam. Actually, you guys are right to say that most blacks who are muslims, are converted while in jail. Personally, I dont subscribe to any religion. Its all rubbish if you ask me.
Its ashame that black people cant see that.

top topics

join