It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never before seen colors

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
All we know is life on earth and what we see on earth. Well what if somewhere in our solar system, in our galaxy, or in our universe there exists colors we've never seen before? I'm not talking different shades of blue or green or anything like that, I'm talking about completly new colors that would boggle our minds just because we've never seen them before.

Wouldn't it be weird to see a color you've never seen before or even thought existed. What effect do you think this would have on our brains? Would they be temporarily frozen trying to process what it is seeing or would we just recognize it as merely a new color and that would just be that?

Hmm bit of a strange topic i know but i'm interested in some of your responces

edited some spelling mistakes, bare with me if i forgot some

[edit on 21-2-2007 by biotic]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Man pass that to the left hand side, miss that s.

Colours you ain't seen before, wow, light is part of the electro magnetic spectrum, radio waves are there too, its all wavelengths, red is a longer wavelength than blue, that is the way we perceive what we can.

Try to tell a blind man what your true love looks like, in reality, the light your eyes process as 'sight' is just a higher wave length of energy than the sound of her voice. (also a deferent energy cos her voice is not her reflection - but y'know)

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
i'd more then happy to pass 'it' to the left

thanks for responding.. i know its a bit of a far out idea i guess. i know about the color spectrum and the wave lengths and things of that nature but on a different planet, in a different galaxy with a different sun do these earthly rules apply? maybe somewhere else there are wavelengths and color spectrums we are not accustomed to or maybe i have no idea what im talkin about

probably just thinkin to much on this one....

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Im absolutely wrecking my head trying to think of colour that doesnt exsist.

I have thought similar to this in the past when thinking of how i would try to explain colour to a blind person

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The eyes can only see colors on the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum. So no.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
well, I would think physics apply equally in all points of the universe (except maybe black holes
)

Human eyes can only perceive certain spots in the electromagnetic spectrum. We here other points, and feel other points. It's all energy. I guess if you were deformed (or higher evolved, depedns on how you look at it,
), maybe you could see infrared (like snakes). That would count as a color I suppose, since it's relatively close to the 'colors' we see. So would Ultraviolet light. So basically, you can only see (taste, feel, hear, smell), what your human senses allow. But who knows, maybe there are beings out there who 'taste' colors, and view things in the 'radio' frequencies, and 'feel' x-rays and gamma rays. It's all just what your senses pick up.

So in a short answer, no, I don't think you'd 'see' a new color.

But there are cases where some humans see sound as colors, or taste colors. Just their senses picking up frequencies they aren't normally evolved to pick up. That's pretty interesting in itself!

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
well i've tasted colors if you know what i mean

thanks for the responces guys i guess we can put this one to rest.. thought it might make for an interesting topic..

ok, new idea based on thesaints post

explain a color to a blind person

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne
Human eyes can only perceive certain spots in the electromagnetic spectrum. We here other points, and feel other points. It's all energy.

But there are cases where some humans see sound as colors, or taste colors. Just their senses picking up frequencies they aren't normally evolved to pick up.

Uh, wrong. Sound is not light. Light is photons. Sound is vibrations in a medium (air in most cases, but it can travel through liquids and solids as well).

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
you can taste, feel and smell color under the right circumstances

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I've heard of people tasting music. Understandably, hey couldn't really describe it to me, though. I don't doubt it, but it's got nothing to do with wavelengths.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Synesthesia is the term you guys are looking for.

Note: My favourite colour is "soqub" which is sort of a cross between cordrouy and E#.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Koka]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I like this thread.

synesthesia
source

I read this book years ago, when I picked it up at a used book store because of the title.
The Man Who Tasted Shapes by R. Cytowic

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
Synesthesia is the term you guys are looking for.

Note: My fvourite colour is "soqub" which is sort of a cross between cordrouy and E#.

thanks for the wikipedia article, syneshesia is interesting indeed.

and what is "soqub" "cordrouy" and "E#"

can you show me these colors??

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by biotic
All we know is life on earth and what we see on earth. Well what if somewhere in our solar system, in our galaxy, or in our universe there exists colors we've never seen before? I'm not talking different shades of blue or green or anything like that, I'm talking about completly new colors that would boggle our minds just because we've never seen them before.

actually, there are certain women in the world that have been born with an extra variety of color cone in their eyes
oddly, it's a phonemenon exclusively found in those with 2 X chromosomes

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
actually, there are certain women in the world that have been born with an extra variety of color cone in their eyes
oddly, it's a phonemenon exclusively found in those with 2 X chromosomes

Sounds interesting madnesinmysoul, any links?

biotic, sorry my friend I was just kidding regarding "soqub" I was playing on the syneshesia topic.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
madnessinmysoul, that sounds interesting, can you provide any links to back this?

and even if some women had an extra variety of color cone in their eyes what type of colors would they see that we could not? are there some invisible colors that we simply cannot see but they can? sounds... mind boggling

and koka, you kidder.. you fooled me

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Two of us see red which we can agree is red. But do we see the same hue of red?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I had a copy of the brief history of time - Stephen Hawkins - which i left somewhere.

But I remember bits on String theroy, or M theroy. I sorta said everything was energy, matter as well. This is going in to the quantum level so do not quote me!

But thinking bout harmonics of the universe and the beauty of small gets me to sleep, bills etc do not.

Apparently I exist in 10 or 11 dimensions! how bout you?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
Two of us see red which we can agree is red. But do we see the same hue of red?

perhaps not but can this ever be proven?

edit: rather, how can it be proven?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Although not directly related you may find this of interest.

Colorimetry

And yes I believe that people do see red and other colours differently, but it would generally only be slight differences. Colour bindness, now thats a bit different.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join