It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking news: UK troops to come home

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Congrats to the Brits!

Now I am only waiting for my own man, the monster of the dark, the cave man of Denmark, Anders Fogh Rasmussen to follow Tony-boy of Britany which he has declared his idol.

Com'on Fogh, now there's no more excuses...
...oh, I see you promised Dubaya. (btw, try to pronounce his name in English.. yeah, that's why they call him Rasmussen.)

This "gang of the willing", who's left by now anyway? Spain has gone, Italy and Poland as well, and I think Bulgaria too don't wanna play anymore.

Oh, I see you still got Palau, Eritrea. And yes Estonia will never quit, nor will Macedonia and El Salvador... Oh, you're talking real countries.

Well, I don't know if the Netherlands and the Czechs still are in.

CX

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Do people here honestly believe that they would alter the course of a war just because Prince Harry is due to go out there?

I'm afraid that this thing is way bigger than Harry, we did'nt suddenly give up the Falklands because Andrew was to fly chopper missions did we?

CX.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well is your fault that your country is so complicated.

I think the easiest way for Americans to look at it is to think that England is the rough equivalent of a US State. Therefore, referring to the United Kingdom as 'England' is like referring to the entire United States as 'California', 'Alaska', 'Washington', 'Alabama' or any other single state. It's clearly not, since that excludes the 49 other states that are part of the United States. Saying 'England' excludes the three other nations (Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) which make up the United Kingdom.

Oddly, a lot of Americans seem to make this mistake... I haven't figured out why yet

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Edit: I know not all brits have bad teeth. I know some hotties that have perfect teeth as a matter of fact.

I think it's fair to say that most British people don't have bad teeth. It's just one of those stereotypes that makes the rounds... there are others, such as that we all drink tea constantly.

I guess the equivalent is the stereotype that all Americans are ignorant or fat. It's not true at all, and I know because I've visited the US a few times, but it's just one of those false stereotypes that makes the rounds. Something we just have to grin (no pun intended
) and bear.

Anyway, with regards to the withdrawal, I think it's great news. I read in one of the reports that Blair spoke to Bush via videolink yesterday (Tuesday) and Bush was happy for it to go ahead - his national security spokesman said it showed how successful the operations in the south of Iraq have been. Whether or not he really thinks that, I dunno, but it can certainly be presented as a victory so I guess the Bush administration and Blair's government are eager to use it as such.

I think another possible reason for the withdrawal is that Blair will have left office by September of 2007 at the very latest - he wants people to remember him in a good light, and this is one way to do it.

[edit on 21/2/07 by Ste2652]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Denmarks is pulling their 500 soldiers from southern iraq august 07

and increases its presence in Afghanistan

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the info WW, I didn't know that.

I don't stay in Denmark, and where I stay the local junta has blocked politiken.dk. Had a news black-out a few weeks untill I found out.

But Afghanistan!! So much more easy to get killed there.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
3000 home by Christmas is what they are saying... that will leave 4,000 still in Basra and they have given no indication these will be withdrawn at all even by 2008.

Between the lines I think this is more to do with things hotting up in Afghanistan and the deployment there will most likely increase.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Prince Harry might not be sent to Iraq now. Which is interesting news.

I do follow the line of this is being done to prevent him going to Iraq

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Its great news, we should all really pull out, I'm just wondering if all the American armchair military experts on ATS will be racing to sign up to replace them.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Its great news, we should all really pull out, I'm just wondering if all the American armchair military experts on ATS will be racing to sign up to replace them.

Dont worry, Im sure there will be Americans that will replace the surrendering brits.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
rumor has it, after hearing about the British announcement of troop withdrawl, France surrendered to the Iraqis.

Originally posted by Awake and All Seeing
I wonder if a war with Iran will throw wrench in these plans.

I actually think that a war with Iran is one of the motivating factors. It wouldn't surprise me if Blair simply did not want to get dragged into Iran. With british troops on the ground in Iraq, the Brits could be considered a party to any attacks on Iran and Blair might want to avoid a second war and, more important, might want to avoid any backlash on the homefront. Backlash such as election losses or, worse, attacks from within.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Prince Harry might not be sent to Iraq now. Which is interesting news.

I do follow the line of this is being done to prevent him going to Iraq

I think this might be a bit too large a measure just to stop Prince Harry from going to Iraq. It's possible, of course, but I think there were far more important factors which led to the government taking this decision.

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Dont worry, Im sure there will be Americans that will replace the surrendering brits.

I'm not quite sure where you got the idea that Britain is surrendering, but I would take exception to your analysis.

The reason UK forces are being downsized is because Iraqi security forces are in adequate shape to take over the day-to-day running of the province. This has been the mission of Coalition forces from the time the actual war concluded, and there's no point in spending huge amounts of money keeping troops in Iraq when they aren't needed. It's not surrendering, it's simply happening because those troops are no longer needed because the Iraqis are up to standard. I imagine you will see US forces being scaled back eventually because Iraqi forces in US-administered areas are to the necessary standard. Does that mean the US is surrendering too, or does it just mean that the US has accomplished its mission?

I also remind you that 4,000 will still remain in Iraq for the foreseeable future. That's more than enough to supplement the Iraqi forces already there.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Why am I glad that XphilesPhan is on my ignore list?

Brits have finished their role in Iraq and thats why we are leaving. Bad news for Americans now, who's troops are you going to kill in friendly fire now? could go back to Iraqi's. You know that Bush would of failed badly in Iraq if it was not for British support and the Europeans would of boycotted America if it wasn't for the British repairing ties.

I like that fact you mock the British Army even though the American army in the war of independence needed French help and you have never really won on a war on your own. And your track recond on your own is not very good either. So please, yet again, please do not attempt to make wild digs to gain attention in future.

But its nice to see that XphilesPhan is tying to find other ways to gain attention on ATS. Since you've joined ATS you have gone from the conspiracy crowd to the Pro-Bush, Pro-war, Pro-Israel, anti-Islam and now anti-British crew...

Good lord! been around the block abit...

Please do not try and ruin one of my threads in future

back to the subject at hand,

Prince Harry is heading for Iraq. It was on the news.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by infinite]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Xphiles, Your Goverment said they did not need us there anyway, and many here on ATS expend a lot of energy telling the rest of us how powerful the US is why do they not go it alone. One wonders how the US would cope if friendly and Nato allies did not provide you with the means to prosecute your wars of pillage and murder. But as you have lost in a number of conflicts in the past I'm sure you now all about surrendering.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well Johnny Bumsuck ain't backin' down.

We are now being told that Australia will send more troops (about 70) to train Iraqis and that we will be sending about 1000 extra miltiary personnel into Afghanistan.

See more about Oz's committment to the bogus US WOT

www.news.com.au...

www.news.com.au...

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Prince Harry is heading for Iraq. It was on the news.

Yeah, I saw that too. It's on the BBC website, too.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Nothing has been confirmed yet, though.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Southern Iraq is calm compared to other places in Iraq. Its more mafia like crimes instead of terrorism. We've worked well there and done our job. The Iraqi army are still getting British training and are stronger enough to take over. We will be gone by 2008

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
And.....

Dick Cheney will arrive in beautiful down town Sydney this afternoon and there is an anti-war protest in Sydney at 5.30PM to coincide with this visit.

Special arrangements have been made for his henchmen to bring weapons into this country...talk about crawling up the USA's arse.

I am leaving work early to be there...front row centre.

Husband is worried that I might get arrested because of my big mouth.

I will have a sign that says " 9/11: Inside Job" or "US Government Terrorists"

I have never been arrested or involved ina protest of any kind... looking forward to it.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Britain's Prince Harry will be sent to Iraq to command a tank unit, the Defense Ministry confirmed Thursday.

Harry -- third in line to the throne -- is expected to be deployed with his Royals and Blues regiment near the southern city of Basra.

Could their pullout have ANYTHING to do with harry being deployed?

did the queen tug on ol Balir's sleeve

'' Please Blair, protect my son, make sure he doesnt stay around enough to get killed, bring them home ''

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
And.....

Dick Cheney will arrive in beautiful down town Sydney this afternoon and there is an anti-war protest in Sydney at 5.30PM to coincide with this visit.

Special arrangements have been made for his henchmen to bring weapons into this country...talk about crawling up the USA's arse.

I am leaving work early to be there...front row centre.

Husband is worried that I might get arrested because of my big mouth.

I will have a sign that says " 9/11: Inside Job" or "US Government Terrorists"

I have never been arrested or involved ina protest of any kind... looking forward to it.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by resistancia]

This is me jealous face

Why cant they ever come to Perth..
Id carry a HUGE banner '' WAR CRIMINALS : YOU ALLOWED 911 to happen
" and run across the street NAKED, trying to get as CLOSE to chenney as possible.

he'll remember me that way...

plus, the 27x emails I sent to the whitehouse listed address accusing them of treason and being war crminals had the same title!

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Could their pullout have ANYTHING to do with harry being deployed?

did the queen tug on ol Balir's sleeve

'' Please Blair, protect my son, make sure he doesnt stay around enough to get killed, bring them home ''

www.cnn.com...

son? grandson you mean? Prince Charles is the son of the Queen...not Prince Harry, you knew that right?

Queen has no power, she has to agree with the government.

Prince Andrew thought in the Falklands and he was he son, the Queen had no problem with that

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join