It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution in our schools.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Should evolution be the only theory taught in schools?

I went to a catholic school here in Australia, and during science class they taught us evolution as a basic fact. I have a friend (who went to a different school) who opposed evolution in class and she was told to leave the room by the teacher.

It wasn't 'til I finished school that I was aware that in all actuality evolution is simply a theory and a very controversial one at that.

Whether evolution is right or wrong isn�t the issue here.
My problem is the dogmatic approach that the schooling system has in regards to the theory of evolution.

I feel at least give the students a choice.
There is more than one valid theory out there.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 04:17 AM
link   
schools should give the oppurtunity to nit believe in what they teach but its a good thing to teach 'facts' to the kids..they also teach them the world is round right, and that its not hollow

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 08:47 AM
link   

There is more than one valid theory out there.

Such as?

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well, gravity's a theory, the set theory (which forms the basis of our mathematics) is a theory, the speed of light is a theory, the rate of an object's acceleration in a gravity field is a theory, orbital mechanics is a theory, Hilbert space is a theory, black holes are a theory, the equations for nuclear fission are theories.

And there's all sorts of web pages out on the Internet proving each one of those wrong.

Ya think we should toss them from the textbooks, too, and go back to throwing rocks at each other?

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The problem is, most folks confuse the English word "theory" (as in, "I have a theory that OJ did the murder") with the scientific use of the word (as in "String theory forms a basis for new cosmological research.")

This is what a scientist or mathemetician means by the word, "theory": Theory: systematic and organized principles derived by scientific means (dictionary definition #1.). In mathematics, 'theory' is a collection of theorems.

It is possible for a theory to be tweaked as better data becomes available. We have no way of testing the behavior of a solid body in every single gravitational field in the universe. If we could, then we'd have a Proof Of Gravity. Instead, we have a model based on our research here on Earth which has been tweaked (as we learned more about air resistance and fluid dynamics) that we feel holds up if we dropped an object on Jupiter or Pluto or the Moon or some alien planet.

But until we examine all of it, it's a theory.

So to with the Theory of evolution or Newton's theory or the E=MCsquared theory.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by Byrd]

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Just thought you might find this other thread interesting. It was floating around here in the not to distant past and is related to this post.

Subject: And Evolution is OUT of the Picture!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well, I remember in 8th grade when we were taught about evolution and I told my science teacher I didn�t believe in it. He said neither did he. He told me to just answer the questions �right� so I could pass and then not care anymore. So it seems that even teachers don�t really give a damn abo0ut what�s going on.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I feel at least give the students a choice.
There is more than one valid theory out there

They do, you have the option to put your child in a religious school, if you want them to learn fantasy versus science.....

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   
In my years at my public high school and secondary schools, they ALWAYS taught evolution as if it were a FACT.

It's quite annoying and i personally look at it as the brainwashing of children.

They present it as if there is no flaws, and rarely mention any flaws with the THEORY

Hell, your lucky if they even say the word "THEORY" before "evolution".

I feel they should focus at other theories as well, not just evolution.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I feel they should focus at other theories as well, not just evolution.

What others?

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   

What others?

Damned good question, as the only one I can then think of is Creationism...which then goes against separation of Church and State...

Never underestimate the importance and impact that you, as a parent can have though, on your child's education. You of course, can always explain it is a theory, to your children, etc.

When I was in school, they were careful to be sure they mentioned it was a theory, not a fact....

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's Darwin's THEORY we learn about?

That's like saying we are taught the Freud PROVED there's an Ego, SuperEgo and ID as FACT.

Lighten up.

There's nothing worng with adding Creationists disagree. For those theories, see your pastor. That's what I was told in a Religious Private School even.

The problem with presenting "Creationism" as a theory, is which one? Judao/Christian? Sihk? Buddhist?

That's like saying we must offer the alternative that Zeus created the world, it's flat and sits on four pillars. It's a theory, right?

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The only problem I have with the teaching of evolution in our public schools is with the way in which it is often done. The curriculum is taught in a manner that gives the students no other options to consider but that evolution is without error. There is good scientific evidence out that refutes evolution as a valid theory but it is not allowed to enter the debate for fear that it will bring in �other� topics. The ignorance concerning the theory of evolution is huge what we need is more education on this subject and not less.

When the hard science is examined the theory of evolution becomes a joke. In short, the answer is not to hide evolution from our children but to present it in a scientific manner that shows its pros and cons. Forget what you think you know about science, the truth is, for believing Christians science is a great friend to our faith.

If any of you have ever wondered how Christianity and science can both be made to coexist then take the time to read the information on the web site link I�ll leave you. I have met and spoken with Dr. Hugh Ross and let me tell you something about this man, he is brilliant with a capitol B!

www.reasons.org...

Machine

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
ARRRRGH!
Why is it that just about every country on earth except the United States has learned how to teach science? Anything that invokes God cannot be a proper scientific theory, therefore, it has NO place in a science class.

At any rate, creationist arguments against evolution are all bunk. See
www.darwin.ws...

and www.geocities.com...

for starters.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The U.S. is the rare country who has the problem with creationism vs evolution. IMO the other countries don't or rarely have that problem.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Evolution should be taught as a theory, because it is a theory, and all theories should be put forth as such. I am not christian, but I do not believe the theory of evolution. But in schools, it is taught as a fact. Man came from apes, end of story. Ignore the fact that the entire theory in truth violates scientific theory. It gives those who want science to be their ultimate power an answer that sounds good, so it must be right. It disgusts me to think of the harm such a simple matter of how something is taught can cause.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Sharky,

You�re wrong, there are highly scientific minds who have sound scientific arguments that strongly refute evolution as a basis for the start of life. I could argue my position against evolution without ever mentioning anything about God. If you want to risk changing your mind check out the link I posted above and dare to see the fallacies of evolution.

Machine

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Machine
Sharky,

You�re wrong, there are highly scientific minds who have sound scientific arguments that strongly refute evolution as a basis for the start of life. I could argue my position against evolution without ever mentioning anything about God. If you want to risk changing your mind check out the link I posted above and dare to see the fallacies of evolution.

Machine

Evolution is not about how life began.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
evolution seams to be the anser to alot of the creatures it just fits

there is a need for a orgnizsim to change, to it changes like a virus

theres alot of proof that in wales that they walked on land (hens there super small leg)

but i see holes in it my self, like the dino's first theres a lizard then outpops a bird?

on and on...

noone can prove there right, so theres realy no point in flamming eachother insted of "flamming" lets try to make a list of the cons and positives

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The theory of evolution can break down into two major points and one theme. Micro-evolution, which is valid and Macro-evolution which is not valid. The theme is based on finding the origins of life.

Of course this is taking us off topic so I'll end my responses to this subject on this forum.

Machine

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by Machine]

<<   2  3  4 >>

join