It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

flashlights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
this is a subject near and dear to my heart, i am some kind of nut on the subject of flashkights. there can be no one best light as the use to which flashlights can be employed is much to broad.
headlamps:
i have everything from a small one like a gerber 2 led single aaa that lasts 40 hrs on a single batt. to a foxfury that was designed by a guy who wanted to surf at night.
flood lights:
spotlights:
leds:
high pressure zenonlights:
camping:
ect
so what we need is a discussion no what you use and why and where.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I too, have a flashlight fetish.
I'm sure, if I could find them all, the total would be somewhere around 50.

Battery powered, windup, the kind you shake..Some are LED, some xenon, and regular.

I highly recommend getting a couple of the LED windup, or shake up lights.
I use them to find the other flashlights, and lanterns. Or for a trip to natures restroom when camping. They can take a beating, but aren't very bright..A lot like Mike Tyson actually.

We use Propane lanterns, and flourescent lanterns for lighting a room.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
what's your experance with shak/ wind up lights i had a small one that i sacrificed and it had coin cell battries in it. so will this last? i've always heard they had capictors or something inside. hat's the real deal with "self" charging lights in the long tre?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
With regards to the wind up etc torches. I had a rather good 3 LED one that would last for 30 mins on a few turns of the handle, the light wasnt brilliant, it got the job done though.

I branched out into a LED and xenon bulb combanation, it was a quality torch however it has now decided to just blow the xenon bulb every time i put a new one in so im stuck with it just as an led torch.

As far as head torches go i also had a LED one of those with 21 LED's the batteries seem to last forever infact i think i used the same batteries till i lost it and i used it for a great many hours. The packet said up to 80 hours but i recon i went way past that.

Last but not least i have a 3.5 million candle power spotlight, good only for about 20-30 mins use but it is reallly bright.

If you looking for a torch for a survival situation then whatever you decide you need, make sure you buy good batteries! Dont skimp on the batteries buy a brand name and buy plent of them so you get a decent price.

My recommendation would be both a headtorch and a handheld torch and one of them being LED and one being a conventional birght bulb.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
My freinds and I have both the wind up flashlights as well as hurricane lanterners with reflectors as backups.
We look at it this way, in the worst case scenario were to come to pass, then sooner or later most technology will eventually breakdown. Even though our numbers (in my group) are over 50 strong, we have many fields of experience which will keep us going for a very long time. We realize though, that we don have enough of a knowledgebase to keep everything in perfect working order so we have decided to suplement our equipment with low tech alternatives.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcssar
what's your experance with shak/ wind up lights i had a small one that i sacrificed and it had coin cell battries in it. so will this last? i've always heard they had capictors or something inside. hat's the real deal with "self" charging lights in the long tre?

I haven't had any of the wind up lights for very long..Probably under a year.
But my experience is that they should be used for lighting in a pinch..or for short periods. There is one type..made by BayGen, where the energy is not stored in a capacitor/coil circuit, but it's stored mechanically, in a spring.
Those last much longer when fully cranked.

I use the shake up flashlight, all the time..in the garage, or for checking things quickly in the dark. It also come in handy during power failures, I use it to help me find the way to the candles!

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I am not a collector or a flashlight groupie..so to speak..but I recognize a good tool when I see one.

Most of the time I carry with me a mag light with the LED bulb modification kit installed to let the batterys last much longer than the standard issue bulbs. I have since purchased some 4 spare mag lights and the modification kits for them. I also keep around one of the large three D cell mag lights for power outages. Flashlights are kept around the house in certain areas.

Lately I have been curious about this flashlight gadget using the Faraday principle or what I call shake and bake flashlights.

I purchased a four pack at the local wholesaler club and have been experimenting with them. Like the wind up type they seem to have some kind of capacitor battery combination charged by the magnet going across a wound up coil. THe light bulbs are LED type to keep electricity demand low. They dont really burn all that long on a charge is the first thing I noticed but they can be recharged. I have not had one of the wind up type though I have seen them in Wally World. I will check out these type next.

I will be keeping a eye on the usage and practicality of this type of light..ruggedness and dependability for future use. I am disappointed in them to find that they dont actually burn all that long before you have to shake them again. So far their one redeeming asset is that they can be recharged unlike my mag lights.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have a few around the house, not so much for survival cases, but in the event of a power outage.

I have the "shake lights" -- two small ones - one in my car and one in my wife's for emergency use, they aren't too bright and don't hold a charge for too long. The large one I have in the home. Its a bit brighter and holds the charge much longer.

I also have one made by Energizer. Its a nightlight/emergency light. I have it in the utility room, and will get another for the garage. When you plug it in to charge it acts as a nightlight. When you unplug it and flip the "plug" down, it can be used as a flashlight for 12 hours (?). Its pretty bright; I like this one.

I also have a cheap battery-powered light that operates on only 2-AA batteries. Its pretty bright. Its made by Rayovac and is labeled "Industrial" -- it is the smallest of those brands of flashlights. If the batteries go out, I don't have to spend an arm and a leg for new batteries.

I received a flourescent rechargeable lantern as a gift some time ago. Its handy, but not too bright. You can get much more light from a propane or kerosene lantern.

Lastly, I have a 6-D cell Maglight. I've had the 4-D cell ones before, but wanted to get the real big-boy. I received it as a gift about 6 years ago, and they seem harder to find, if you can find one at all.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Undervater Kinetics makes darn good flashlights, often used by firefighter and rescue personel. I carry their 2AAA Led 24/7, those lights can really take a pounding and the battery life on LEDs is amazing.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I have one of those big metal police mag lights in my truck. That sucker is heavy with all those d batteries in there. I also have a 21 led tactical light for my BOB. It is small enough to conceal in your fist and in a short burst you can temporarily disable an attacker's eyes. I had a sticking switch on it, and when I was examining it, BLAME! I got the burst of light in my eyes. For 10 minutes after, I could close my eyes and literally count the dots before my eyes. It was in the same pattern a the led configuration. If someone wasn't expecting it, that light could make a big difference in situations. We also have a crank light for home. I toyed with it but haven't tested it power or endurance.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
D cell MagLights.

In 2, 3 and 4 battery configuration.

The 2 cell is used in the garage to light up the dark areas of some projects.
Nice part is, it's always ready to go and sheds a better light than cheaper 2 cells.

The 4 cells are carried in the cars.
Both with Krypton bulbs.

The 3 cells are parked in several locations around the house.

They are good to carry when answering the door at night - I live out in the country a little ways.
Along with sticking a beam of light into a strangers eyes they make a very good club.

Worked well a few weeks back when I confronted a prowler who was trying the back door.
He was so stoned I'm not sure he could have put up a good offense, but shining the light in his eyes and asking questions worked well.
Last time I go to the door at night without my short barrel 44 Special in the back pocket.

Anyway, the LED conversion sounds good.
Where can I get them?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here ya go my friend. I too am looking into the conversion.
I DO like the feel and weight of my mag light.

home made
www.otherpower.com...
store made
www.x-tremegeek.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
those mag lights are great light and club all in one that's multitasking how ever i would suggest you at least try a mag light led bulb to replace the standard bulb. www.brightguy.com...
i use these on sar missions and they are blindingly bright and bleach white .

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I guess I have owned a Mag my entire life.... Well my adult life...

Actually saved my life a couple of times...

None Better

Semper

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I always carry a Surefire with me. The standard model 6P but equipped with 9V bulb and rechargeable 3.7V batteries.
Those rechargeable batteries only last for 45 minutes, but thats enought to get me home where my real stuff is

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

I haven't had any of the wind up lights for very long..Probably under a year.
But my experience is that they should be used for lighting in a pinch..or for short periods. There is one type..made by BayGen, where the energy is not stored in a capacitor/coil circuit, but it's stored mechanically, in a spring.
Those last much longer when fully cranked.

I use the shake up flashlight, all the time..in the garage, or for checking things quickly in the dark. It also come in handy during power failures, I use it to help me find the way to the candles!

See I disagree with that I find that the wind up LED lights are far supiorier to the shake lights. Every shake light Ive had has crapped out on me.
For christmas I got 3 wind up lights my wife paid very little for them. For every one minute of winding I get 30 minutes of light. However that is not true. I wound them each up on christmas day and I use them daily and I havent needed to wind them again. Keep in mind these are the cheapest of the cheap. bought at one of those home centers. Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

See I disagree with that I find that the wind up LED lights are far supiorier to the shake lights. Every shake light Ive had has crapped out on me.
For christmas I got 3 wind up lights my wife paid very little for them. For every one minute of winding I get 30 minutes of light. However that is not true. I wound them each up on christmas day and I use them daily and I havent needed to wind them again. Keep in mind these are the cheapest of the cheap. bought at one of those home centers. Just my opinion.

Angry American,
Though I just this week got this four pack of shake and bake lights..now that I have worked with them a little what you post is what I am sensing about them. I plan to check out the wind up lights next. I wil keep the shake and bake lights to contrast the performance of them against the wind up type.
I still keep my mag light with me all the time. I do appreciate that the LED conversion has made the battery life substantially longer. Used my mag light in changing out a water pump on a Chevy Cavalier early in the morning this last weekend. It burned well for seveal hours without failure. I dont believe the shake and bake type would have done near as well.

My initial opinion of the shake and bakes is that they will fill the gap till I can get to a better flashlight or light source.

THanks,
Orangetom

top topics

join