It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gas like smell in NewYork?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Are they saying the smell is mercaptan (i.e., natural gas) or is it something else? With the current weather (moderate tempertaures and very high humidity) any smell is going to travel further faster.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
what is the probability of this story and the Austin TX story breaking at the same time? and them being so eerily similar?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I won't even guess as to whether it's a test or not, but...

If it is a test, it doesn't necessarily have to be directly on the spread of airborne particles per se. To really get out in the deep end, imagine DoD (or even perhaps some as-of-yet unknown terrorist group with a bit bigger tech budget than we're used to) has got some really fancy programmers and meteorologists working on an advanced weather pattern simulator. The did their computer run, now their comparing the results of the test with the real world to see how accurate it is.

Even if that is an unlikely scenario, it may still be a test, just testing something that isn't directly obvious.

Could work for a good political thriller novel perhaps, get someone like Crichton in on it

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Anyone else sick to death of the press conference lies?

They do this every time - "We have no idea what's happening, but we know for sure that it's not terrorism."

They don't have a freakin' clue, and it's as obvious as night and day.

These idiots must think we're really, REALLY stupid, because they elect to tell us that they have ruled out a cause before the investigation is even underway!

The circumstances would lead me, personallly, to believe this probably isn't an act of terrorism, but I sure as Hell wouldn't get in front of the camera and tell my constituents that investigators have ruled terrorism out. That's nonsense...

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
lol the old rule book for crowd control and panic hasn't been rewritten since the 50s 'paint your window white and put tape over it' and '...in the event you are caught in the open during a nuclear blast... lie down'

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
just spoke to my mom who is on Wall street close to South Street Seaport, she's been in meetings all day, didn't hear about it, didn't smell it, had no idea what was going on. So obviously this odor must have travelled in pockets, or being close to the water the odor dissappated faster??

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
they would be able to rule out an act of terrorism

because they asked everyone in the gov't if they had anything to do withit and no one raised there hands.

surely if it had been an act of terrorism someone of the political "stooges" would have been involved and would have let them know

the real domestic terrorists

[edit on 8-1-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
you know what? I havent "smelled" New york recently, but a few weeks ago, i went outside and it smelled like bad breath. And I thought something was wrong with my car, but when i got home i still smelled it, and my parents said they thought it was there car bcuz every where they went they smelled it. It only lasted about 3 days tho, and i live a couple miles from work, but it was still weird..anywho idk about NY

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
"We have no idea what's happening, but we know for sure that it's not terrorism."

These idiots must think we're really, REALLY stupid, because they elect to tell us that they have ruled out a cause before the investigation is even underway!

I'm right there with ya on this WyrdeOne. It's freak'n stupid.

I was just watching The Stand, that I taped from last night. The government was in full 'denial' mode on TV and radio .. all the while troops were busy rounding up citizens and shooting some of them.

Shades of things to come!

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
lol the old rule book for crowd control and panic hasn't been rewritten since the 50s 'paint your window white and put tape over it' and '...in the event you are caught in the open during a nuclear blast... lie down'

Lol, one time a 747 flew too close to the ground. It buzzed right over my house. I automatically leapt off the couch dived under the oak table with my arms over my head and my azz in the air.

My company was thoroughly entertained.

Just goes to show that conditioning is not wasted and even though I agree it's a paltry attempt at crowd control to reassure that it's not terrorism when they have no idea what it is, (or have an idea and don't want to say), in the end it still works. Even my cynicism breathes a sigh of relief to hear it's not terrorism. Knowing better than to believe reassurances on things not known, the conditioned response still kicks in.

So what the heck was it? Pulp and paper mill near by? Runaway cows? Overblown gas leak?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
But does anyone find it odd that everyone's initial assumption is terrorism? there are thousands of other, more likely scenerios, but everyone jumps right to terrorism.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
But does anyone find it odd that everyone's initial assumption is terrorism? there are thousands of other, more likely scenerios, but everyone jumps right to terrorism.

I don't. That's still the political buzzword of the moment. We've also been kinda trained since 9/11 that everything is terrorism based, either to prevent it, a potential cause of it, or a result of it.

So, odds are that's what the general public is going to jump at (IMO), and the gov't's first action is going to be to try and keep the people from running around saying the sky is falling.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

This is what happens as a result of the training (brianwashing) we have all undergone since 9-11.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
double edged sword apparently. One side is used to control the masses into thinking that they are in constant danger from the boogie-man. The other side ends up freaking the general public out any time something strange happens. We've got an entire population of Chicken Littles.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
What I would like to know is which buildings were evacuated today, and what was supposed to be going on in them ... if you catch my drift ...

Ex

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Would they even acknowledge it , if it was a terror attempt
I can't imagine they would test something that could have such
unknown effects on a large population like NYC!

GAS......HMMMMMMMMM...............

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz
which buildings were evacuated today, and what was supposed to be going on in them ... if you catch my drift ...

I hear ya! I think Ex is doing some interesting speculation and it ties right into what you are getting at Fiverz ...

Originally posted by Ex
imagine they would test something ... NYC ...

Accident? Most likely. But it also COULD be a test run ... what if ....

Also - someone could have been wanting to get people out of certain buildings for a reason. I'm with Fiverz .. what was evacuated??

[edit on 1/8/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I hear ya! I think Ex is doing some interesting speculation and it ties right into what you are getting at Fiverz ...

Accident? Most likely. But it also COULD be a test run ... what if ....

Also - someone could have been wanting to get people out of certain buildings for a reason. I'm with Fiverz .. what was evacuated??

Yea it's strange to get so much information (not terrorism, not a gas leak, not harmful) and yet I haven't been able to find exactly WHICH buildings were evacuated. If anyone else finds that info, please post it in this thread.

As a total aside I was cleaning my kitchen today and then sat down on the computer with cnn on TV in the background. I was listening to them talk about NYC and all of a sudden I got a nasty whiff of the gas additive. I freaked out for a minute until I realized that I had turned one of my stove's knobs and it was leaking gas for about an hour and a half

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Now there's that chemical gas cloud floating over Texas. WHat's going on here people ?!?!?!

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think it's a game ... we're supposed to pick out which event is really linked to terrorism!

A) gas in NYC
B) C-4 in Miami
C) gas tanker leak in Texas
D) mass bird deaths in Austin, TX

Either that or there is something going on behind the scenes today that the powers that be don't want to get out in to the media ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join