It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Breaking) Large Number Of Dead Birds Closes Downtown Austin, TX

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Large Number Of Dead Birds Close Congress Avenue Near Capitol

Several blocks of Congress Avenue have been closed off to traffic because a large number of dead birds -- reportedly as many as several dozen -- have been found in the area. And if you work in the area, you're being asked to stay home from work until at least noon.

Congress Avenue and one block on either side of the street is shut down from Cesar Chavez to 11th Street until approximately noon. That's because an unusually large number of dead birds were found Monday morning, with most of them concentrated on 9th Street.

The fire department was called out to the area around 3 a.m. on Monday to test if there had been a gas or chlorine leak, but nothing of that nature was found. However, further precautionary testing is ongoing, and fire officials are requesting that individuals that work in this area not to come in until further notice.

More...

(See video coverage in the link above.)

This is an early morning eye-opener.

It will be interesting to see what they learn.

[edit on 8-1-2007 by loam]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Like canaries in a coal mine. Or like birds with the flu. Either way, I'd take the full day off of work. I mean look what happened to the poor saps who listened to the "all safe" command on 9/11.

At the very least, all of the birds should be burned, save for the ones being autopsied.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm sure this is completely unrelated....

Gas Smelled Over Large Area Of Manhattan

People all over a large part of New York City are smelling a gas, and it's not clear where it's coming from.

Numerous people have called 911 concerned about the odor. Con Edison, the Fire Department and the U.S. Coast Guard are investigating.

See Live Video Coverage.

But I have to admit....makes my heart skip a beat.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Truer words have never been spoken Rasobasi420. It might be a good day to drive around and check on the progress of the 'NAFTA highway' project, or whatever they're calling it. At the very least, I'd make a trip to the carwash to clean the bird droppings from my car.

[edit on 1/8/2007 by HaveSeen4Myself]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I thought that birds where found also in NY. But the one about the birds death in TX is new to me.

Occurs it will be a very reasonable Explanation for the birds death just like is an explanation for everything.

Well it seems that is not gas leak in NY after all, just heard in the news, I guess the birds are only death in TX.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Apparently, "dozens" of dead birds were found in Austin TX. Reports indicate "The dead birds included grackles, pigeons and sparrows. "

Nothing new beyond that. Still waiting for more.

Any confirmation that dead birds are being found in NY or NJ?

EDIT: I'm seeing the numbers "40-60 birds" in several reports now. That's a lot of birds on ONE street!

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Interesting how Reuters is reporting the TX and NY incidents in the same article:

Here.

EDIT: This article does the same.

It also says:

No injuries or damage to wildlife was immediately reported.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
What does Reuters know that we don't? Aside from just about everything, that is. Are there any reports of foul odors in TX, or is it masked by the everyday odors?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
double post

[edit on 8-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The birds are only in TX nothing on the gas leak or poisoning gases in any of the places, I imagine a team from the CDC will be in site.

But about the odor, I will say that I have been in both cities NY and TX and one thing that strikes me most is the smell that hits you as soon as you are on city limits.

I guess as an outsider I get to smell it better
than somebody that is used to it.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'm seeing on a few video reports that other locations within Austin are now claiming dead or dying birds!

Links to follow when I find them.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Theres a news conference in 45 mins,

This is odd indeed,

www.cnn.com...

As many as 60 dead pigeons, sparrows and grackles were found overnight along Congress Avenue, a main route through downtown. No human injuries or illnesses were reported.

There saying Air tests show no dangerours chemicals

[edit on 8-1-2007 by asala]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
loam.....I believe Austin city officials will hold another press conference around 12:15 p.m. CST.

....but you probably already know that since your keeping such a keen eye on this.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what the authorities have to say.

One thing that will kill birds FAST is burning Teflon.

I wonder if there is any Teflon production done in Austin?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The only conference was in NY and already did on the air, no gas leaks or chemicals found.

But I am still waiting on the one from TX.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Is there any link to that conference?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I wonder if there is any Teflon production done in Austin?

I can't find a yea or nay on Teflon production in Austin, but a quick google did show a handful of Teflon distributors. There also seems to be a fair industrial complex in the region; sure there's lots of other chemicals that could do the job as well.

The only thing that strikes me though, is there's no reports of human illness yet--surely, someone in the area would maybe already have a cold or something, and any airborne chemicals would aggravate it. Or a weakened immune system or something. I mean, whatever's happening is killing birds--not the heartiest of beasts, true, but still...

(Not that I'm wanting anyone to be sick, just seems really strange.)

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I know there going to go to it on Foxnews,

Im not sure if theres a live link, but maybe someone else will know,

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I don't know what the "live link" will be but this site here should post the briefing video after the conclusion.

Perhaps the major news networks will carry it live....only about 10 minutes now.

EDIT:: I'm sorry, you CAN watch it live at that link above!!

[edit on 1/8/07 by sdp333]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
The only thing that strikes me though, is there's no reports of human illness yet--surely, someone in the area would maybe already have a cold or something, and any airborne chemicals would aggravate it. Or a weakened immune system or something. I mean, whatever's happening is killing birds--not the heartiest of beasts, true, but still...

(Not that I'm wanting anyone to be sick, just seems really strange.)

Burning Teflon can kill birds INSTANTLY. Apparently, burning Teflon has little to no immediate impact on mammals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join