It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandit795
For some reason I'm thinking that an upset like with Greece in Euro 2006 might happen again. But everyone else around me is thinking that Brazil is going to win it naturally.

Look for an African team like Ivory Coast to be strong.

Yeah, there usually is a suprise package like the last world cup remember Senegal beating the former World Cup Champions, that was a case of wooaah!!

But i have to go with Brazil. They have soo many good players i think the biggest worry they have is, how do they get all the best players in the team and make them click?

Ronaldo looks to be getting fatter every team you see him play, but his goal ratio at International Level is fantastic. Ronaladhino will want to prove he is the worlds best player, and there is so many other good players, Kaka, Emerson, Adriano.

I think they are good enough to score goals against anyone

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Ivory Coast was unlucky not to get a draw in the end. I thought they came on strong towards the end and Argentina didnt get it all their own way. I must say the referee was a bit biased and the Argies conned him a few times with some dives. But it was a great game and Holland could be in trouble up against the Ivory Coast.

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Ok heres my first rundown on some of the teams for the World Cup..

Germany..

Germany is hoping World Cup history repeats itself when it comes to the host countries. In 1974, West Germany defeated Netherlands 2-1 for its second title 20 years after beating Hungary 2-1 in Switzerland. Since the World Cup began host nations have triumphed six times in the 17 tournaments that have taken place, the last in 1998 when France upset defending champ Brazil, 3-0. The side is pretty young and they got off to a good start with a 4-2 victory against Costa Rica. After a rough run up to the World Cup they looked a much better team, but they did look a bit supect at the back.

Michael Ballack, the team captain that has played in 50 games for Germany was missing from the side. Chelseas new 30million signing will be eager to get on the pitch in the next game and he could make a big difference. But i still think that when they come up against a much stronger side they will struggle at the back.

They should win their group easily unless Equador can put in a performance like they did against Poland. If that does happen and they finish runners-up they will be facing England in the first knockout stage and thats where their World Cup will end.

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
England....

Its the 40th anniversay since England lifted the World Cup for the only time beating Germany in one of the most remebered World Cup finals in history. England go into the 2006 World Cup with expectations high and rightly so. Could it be our year to finally take the World Cup back home? They have the players to do it but they must believe in themselfs.

We have always been slow starters in the World Cup so the way we played against Paraguay came as no surprise. The win was the most important thing and we have to build on that. I would say that the team hasn't peaked yet and thats a good thing as we can pick up the momentum as we go along. One important factor will be Sven's tactics as they nearly backfired on him again, he is going to need to get a grip. His substitutions in the 2002 World Cup were poor, at Euro 2004 they were appalling and against Paraguay he got it completely wrong again. We invited them onto us and the negative substitutions was the cause of it.

Our defense is one of the best in the tournament and will be the key factor in the group stages. As long as they stay firm we will win the group easily. With Rooney out, he could be the key factor in us progressing furthur if he takes part. But we need some big performances from our star players if we are going to win. Lampard who didnt partically have a great game agasint Paraguay is going to have to step up his game and Gerrard is going to have to show the kind of form he has all season for Liverpool. But the big question will be can they play together in the same side as they dont always look at their best when they play together. I think its our big chance in a long time to make it through to the semi's and even the final.

On a side note, i'm hoping for Peter Crouch to get a goal so he can treat the whole world to his goal celebration, its definatly worth seeing. He has been in good goalscoring form for England and he will give alot of teams a tough time due to his size.

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Heres a funny little story on the BBC news site..

England fans are looking for divine intervention to help Sven-Goran Eriksson and his team claim victory in Germany, report the Times.

According to the Church of England, visits to their website have increased by 28% after a prayer for the World Cup was posted.

BBC SPORT

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
My Brother-in-Law will be flying over to Germany on Thursday to watch 2 weeks worth of games. He'll probably be staying with his business partner for a good chunk of time over there. Hopefully he joins in here, and gives us live updates on the games...

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
As for me, I'm going to try to catch as much of this as I can to learn more about the game. Of course, since I dont' have cable at home, it will be quite difficult to watch a lot of games, but I'd catch what I can.

For the rest of you Americans, it looks like ESPN2 has the bulk of the coverage for us.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
OK, new question. What is a Golden Goal?

the Azzurri have had their hopes ended three times on penalties and once by a Golden Goal.

Yahoo! Sports Story Link

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The golden goal is a goal scored in overtime which immediately ends the game.

Fortunately they have stopped it.
Now when a team scores a goal in overtime they just have to keep playing untill the time ends. And the opposing team can still equalize it.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I don't like the chances of America in this one. I just think the skill level in football over seas is just far greater than it is here in the States.

I think they will fare well against the Czech Republic, who are weaker than Euro 2004 IMO. Although they still have the beast... I mean Pavel Nedved. That dude is almost unstoppable when he's steps up his game. I remember when he almost singlehandedly destroyed the world class Dutch defence two years ago at Euro 2004.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Talking about the Dutch, they're leading Serbia (ex Yugoslavia) 1-0 right now. But I'm not feeling it. Even though I have the Dutch Nationality. But the main reason I'm not enthousiastic is because of the players the coach left out. (Davids, Seedorf, Makaay, Huntelaar). They're all world class players and are not injured at this moment. In fact, Huntelaar just led Holland under-21 to the Euro championship U-21 a few weeks ago.

And I'm not biased because I'm related to Seedorf...

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bandit795
The golden goal is a goal scored in overtime which immediately ends the game.

Fortunately they have stopped it.
Now when a team scores a goal in overtime they just have to keep playing untill the time ends. And the opposing team can still equalize it.

Thanks for the info, Bandit!

BTW, where are you from again? And who are you favoring in the Cup?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'm from Aruba, which is part of the Dutch kingdom. Usually I support the Netherlands, because of my nationality, but this time I feel kinda cold to them. Right now I'm supporting Ivory Coast, France and Trinidad & Tobago.

TRD

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I thought Serbia had some good chances to pull a goal back. Once they brought their first sub on he seemed to add a bit of fire to the team.

Holland did look good comming forward though..

Anyone see the Mexico game? Last i looked it was 1-1..

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Looks like 'ole Mexico won 3-1.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I thought Serbia had some good chances to pull a goal back. Once they brought their first sub on he seemed to add a bit of fire to the team.

Holland did look good comming forward though..

Anyone see the Mexico game? Last i looked it was 1-1..

I thought the Holland vs Serbia game was pretty good. In the first 40 minutes Holland were pretty slick, good passing and everytime Robben got the ball you thought something was going to happen.

When Serbia brought on the sub the game changed, and this was a guy who cant get a game for Pompey! i thought he looked pretty good and he defintly improved the team.

2nd half was much more closer, and i thought Serbia might nick a point.

In Kezman they have a guy who can score goals, and i think Stankovic is a great player. Djordevic who was playing out on the left had a goog game too.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Looks like 'ole Mexico won 3-1.

Yip, good win for them. I didnt see the game but saw the goals on the highlights.

Pity Mexico didnt bring who i thought was rather good though... Blanco. He played at the last World Cup and was pretty exciting to watch

TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Big result for Australia, i didnt watch the game as i was at work. I'll catch the highlights later.

I'm just watching the USA V Czech game, although they are losing 2-0 at half-time the czechs just lost their main striker and played real hard the 1st half, so team USA might get back in the game if they can get an early goal. Reyna hit a great shot in the first half only to hit the post.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well it's 3-0 now for Czech republic now, and the game is almost over. I didn't see the game either but I expected more from the USA. Although they had more ball posession. According to the stats, the Czech republic were countering most of the time.

Btw.. I wonder why Bruce Arena didn't select Freddy Adu. Argentina has Lionel Messi in their selection and he's very young too.

[Edited on 12/6/06 by Bandit795]

TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Still 4 or 5 mins to go...

But i would say the Czechs have definatly been the better side. USA have had a few chances but lacked in the final third..

The Czechs have taken their foot off the gas in the last 10 mins but they have done enough and if you check out their players, they have a pretty old side.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join