It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The did win the World Cup recently Gibbs, but the following World Cup they went out of it early.

Patrick Veira who has been a rock in midfield for Arsenal and France in previous years seems a shadow of his former self now that he has moved clubs.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
I thought Kaka's goal was cracking, and Ronaldhino was showing some great touches and control. I thought it was a shame though that Ronaldo didnt try, the fastest he ran was going off the pitch when he was subbed. He didnt go looking for the ball, and that was him supposed to be fit. I thought Adriano was pretty poor too

Hey ryno, is this the guy you took your name after?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yeah Gibbs..... along those lines. With Brazil, there has been strikers called Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, before that there was Romario so Rynaldo fits in quite nice dont you think haha. (plus the first 4 letters are an anagram of my name)

With Brazil, as a kid since Scotland are never at the big competitions thats the team most people like to support or at least admire.

Ronaldo has been on the go for about 12 years now, as he was in the World Cup Squad of USA 94 i believe.

There was a time he was the best striker in the world, but these days he cant be bothered by the looks of it. The other little bit about Brazile, Nike pick the team basically and the manager's job is figure out were to put the players.

[Edited on 6/14/06 by rynaldo82]

Ben

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Great game between Gremany and Poland today. I was routing for poland to take this game, it was very tight through out the whole match. The announcers were saying that in the whole world cup history poland has NEVER beaten Germany. Great goal though by nuville in stoppage time.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
Great game between Gremany and Poland today. I was routing for poland to take this game, it was very tight through out the whole match. The announcers were saying that in the whole world cup history poland has NEVER beaten Germany. Great goal though by nuville in stoppage time.

I fell asleep during that. I was rooting for the fascists I mean Germans

I couldn't fight the sleep.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
ECUADOR! WOO HOO. Brilliant Game. Viva the underdogs!

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
England didnt play that great again today, but did manage to score two goals. Good ones at that, hopefully it will kick them into gear as they looked out of sorts in the first half.

At least Sven made two decent substitutes this time around in bringing on Lennon and Rooney.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
England is winning at least. Not scoring the most, but you have said that they start slow, TRD...

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
ECUADOR! WOO HOO. Brilliant Game. Viva the underdogs!

Yeah, i think Ecuador look a good suprise package for this year. Thats them won 2 games on the trot and i would imagine thats them through to the next round.

Guess the only suprise we are waiting on now is to see if England play any good football

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82

Guess the only suprise we are waiting on now is to see if England play any good football

And here I thought that you and TRD were good friends, ryno!

Is there a Scottish team, or does the English team represent the whole of Great Briton?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Also, how bad do we expect Italy to trounce America tomorrow?

TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Gibbs, Scottish fans will mainly be willing England to fall flat on their faces.

They wanted to do a Great Britian team for the Olympics and some other stuff, but the only ones who rejected it was the Scots. Bit strange as their team is pretty poor..

England did play better in the 2nd half of their game but it still wasnt great to be honest.

Its going to be tough for the USA against Italy. They have a decent side and could be in consideration to make the final. For the USA to qualify from the group they would have to get a least a draw against Italy and a big win against Ghana and its still wouldnt be nailed on that they would qualify.

Agentina qualified yesterday with a huge 6-0 win, they looked impressive yet again and hopefully they have peaked early. Serbia played quite well in their first game so to win 6-0 was pretty damm good.

Holland made it through the group stage aswell with a 2-1 against the Ivory Coast who played well again. If the Ivory Coast had been in a different group they would have most prob qualified.

TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I forgot, didnt Spain and Mexico draw yesterday?

Games are staring up again...

First game today is Portugal v Iran

Portugal will be looking to get the win and qualify. Luis Figo actually looked quite sharp in the first game and they will be looking or him to continue that form. Christian Rolnado will be looking to have a better game, he got substituted in the first game and went off in a huff. He was a having a tantrum and someone needed to throw him a dummy!

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
TRD, can you esplain the process that puts a team forward to the next round? I haven't been able to find anything online that was helpful. Does each group send 2 teams forward, or do the points come into play at that level, also?

TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Ok, each group will have 2 teams that progress to the next stage of the World Cup. The groups are based on a points system, 0 for a loss, 1 for a draw and 3 for a win. The teams will play each other once and the two teams with the most points will go through..

Then its the knockout stage of the competition. The draw is always picked at the start of the tournament. I dont know the full draw for the next stage but the winners of Englands Group will play the runners-up in Germanys group and the runners-up in Englands group will be playing the winners of Germanys group. So from then in its a must win or else your out of the World Cup.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Thanks man, I thought it must be set up like that, but hadn't been able to conclude that. What time is the Italy/America game today?

TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Not sure if its the 5pm GMT one or the 8pm GMT...

But i'll look in the newspaper now.

Its the later one..

Czech v Ghana is the 5pm GMT kickoff..

TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'm watching this Portugal v Iran game and the Portuguese side is full of talent but they just dont seem to play together as a team.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
They wanted to do a Great Britian team for the Olympics and some other stuff, but the only ones who rejected it was the Scots. Bit strange as their team is pretty poor..

Yeah..... thats true about the talk of a Great Britian team but these days we (Scotland) are concerving our energies towards making the enviroment more friendly and prosperous, basically concentrating things on an economic level rather than compete at sports

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spidy
I fell asleep during that. I was rooting for the fascists I mean Germans

I couldn't fight the sleep.

Carrying a little baggage there Spidy......or just being generally ignorant?........:angry-smiley-034:

rynaldo82 well done, the environment not being a sporting event could prove to be something you guys are good at.........

I await a justified rebuttal.........

If you guys want to know start times you can check this link and click on the tab at the bottom labelled "ACTUAL RESULTS" the times are GMT.

World Cup 2006

I think the best performance of the WC so far has to be Argentina, looking like they have full control and stylish with it.

Brazil, look ok, but they are Brazil and ok won't cut it, looking forward to a great deal of improvement.

England are gonna have to tie up their laces if they are gonna get through the next round, i'm not seeing winners in their performances so far. Lennon shows great potential as does Joe Cole. Crouchie has still to be proven as a consistent goal scorer and is susceptible to over cautioning due to his height and therefore boney elbows finding the faces of anyone having to deal with him.

The African teams cannot be ignored as they are showing both flare and passion which has yet to be matched by the European teams.

As much as I want England to win......I want to see good, exciting football, and I want to see the cup go to a team deserving of such an accolade.

[Edited on 6/18/06 by Koka]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join