It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid's Dirty Dealings Unearthed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Semper....not only was Monica a consenting adult (23) by all accounts she instigated the whole thing...right in the Starr report it relates how she started things by flashing her thong at Clinton.

Personally it still would not surprise me one bit if it eventually came out that she was put up to it to specifically ensnare Clinton by some hard right activists. It would have certianly fit with the times.

Now I don't know about you semper, but if a young attractive woman flashes me her thong (oh boy don't I wish
) I am going to be hard pressed not to tell her to come closer I misplaced my glasses.

Besides that, if you had a wife like Hillery....wouldn't you lie about it?

No semper, I really couldn't care one way or another Foley is Republican (something I have never figured out is with the open hostility towards gays in the Republican party, why are there so many gay Republicans?)... what he did would be equally wrong.

Nor do I care that Harry Reid is a Democrat... I am simply pointing out that the source for this is the highly questionable Washington Times and that it seems like a tit for tat scandal to distract voters from the much worse, Foley one.

You should know me by now semper, while I am undoubtedly liberal, I am not the partisian you are making me out to be.

[edit on 12-10-2006 by grover]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Yes,

And does it make a difference that he was married, and carried on an actual affair? In the Whitehouse? Then Lied under oath instead of doing the honorable thing and resigning like Foley. That makes all the difference to me.

Cover up and Denial vs. Acceptance and Resignation

I know who I would give moral credit too..

Semper

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Grover,

I am not trying to "Make you out" to be someone your not. I apologize if you perceive it that way.

The hypocrisy of the outrage over this compared to the argument of understanding in reference to Clinton and Stubbs and now Reid; is too me, Mindboggling.

In order for Moral Outrage to be effective, it needs to be equally presented and that is definitely not the case.

Semper

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Actually if I had a wife like Hillary, I would probably be looking for some on the side too.

I never cheated on my late wife, nor would I, my father cheated on my mother and Dragged me into the middle of it. I strongly disapprove of cheating as a result. HOWEVER it is a personal and a private sin.

If we crucified and impeached every president who cheated on their wives while in office... the list would be mighty long.

Clintion's private sin should never have been dragged into the public sphere and Starr grossly exceeded his mandate by going after it.

And in that Semper I think you would find that my opinion on the matter was the majority of Americans opinion as well.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Perhaps, yet it is Hypocrisy in action..

If you follow that line of reasoning, then lets get out of Folley's business as well.

Though much has been posted on here of the age of the Page in FL. The offense took place in DC where the Page is perfectly legal in age to consent to sex.
It too was a private issue as I have checked and it was never presented on the Senate floor or posted on a billboard. (OK I never checked LOL)

So either the actions are private and non of our business, or they all are. But one needs to make up their minds and keep the standards equal on both ends.

Semper

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned, the real scandal about Mark Foley is the position he held while doing this...chairman of the committee on missing and exploited children. I mean come on now. No matter how you cut it that not only looks terrible it is terrible. And the fact that the house leadership knew about it for years and did nothing. What were they waiting for? If they were really concerned about missing and exploited children (and their own crediblity) they would have confronted Foley (at the very least) if not yanked him from the committee immediately. Did they really think it would blow over? These type of things ALWAYS come to light, as they should no matter the party in power.

The reason that this is (not just looks but is) so bad for the Republicans is their constant posturing as the moral party, the party of family values, the religious party, the most American party, the most patriotic party etc. ad nasuam.

Hubris is always repaid harshly.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
As far as I am concerned, the real scandal...

is how effectively you've steered this into a discussion on Foley's indiscretions, rather than a discussion of Reid's indiscretions.

You keep writing that you are all for holding people accountable, and yet you keep coming back to Foley.

Once more, grover (and the rest of you who want to talk about a BJ), since it seems to not be sinking in:

What Foley, Clinton, Bush, or anyone else did, IS NOT RELEVANT to this discussion.

This is a discussion about a corrupt politician, and if you have ANY love at all for this country, you'll be screaming with the rest of us for investigation, and likely resignation. Even if he wiggles out of this net, there is still the question of the boxing tickets. Corruption is corruption is corruption. Fraud is fraud is fraud.

Stand by your principles, grover, not your party.

Also, this is all over the news, it is not just restricted to the moonies.

Reuters
NYT

At this point, I notice that Reid is offering to make "technical corrections" to his documentation, assuming the Senate Ethics Committee asks him to do so. As if to say, oops, you're right, I lied on my paper-work, can I refile?

If only the IRS were as forgiving as grover...

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

house leadership knew about it for years and did nothing. What were they waiting for?

Now what has come out, is that the Democrats were holding this WAY before any Republicans knew....

I agree with hamburglar...

To be offended and outraged at Folley, and take a back seat to Reid, Clinton, Stump and Kennedy; WELL

Corruption is corruption

Semper

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Wonder how many people would survive if everyone was outed in Washington for their perversions or corruption and they had to resign thereafter? Mind you a lot of average citizens wouldn't last too long around the Hill either I think.

One thing I would not tolerate though... ever, is someone that is a traitor to the best interest of their country or did not heed the will of the people.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
How do you think these guys get to a position of that much power anyway?

Somebody has the goods on them to keep them in line.

Do as we say or we'll say what you do.

As far as I'm concerned all gloves should come off so We The People can begin to clean up
this disgrace.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Louisiana Congressman William Jefferson (Dem)

The FBI allegedly videotaped him accepting $100,000 in cash from an informant. When the authorities searched his house they found the cash in his freezer, wrapped in food containers and aluminum foil. The serial numbers allegedly match the money the informant gave him.

Has he resigned?????

No.

Talk about hyprocracy! No one seems to mention him............

*on the clinton note......I could care less that he got a BJ......
the part that upset me was the fact that under oath and in front of millions of viewers, he lied.

Anyone else in this country the purposefully lies under oath can be charged with perjury...........he was responsible for holding up the moral ideals of this country.

Poor decision on his part.......if he had released a statement apologizing, I would of not cared.

Back on topic.......

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Like Jefferson, (Good point by the way, I had forgotten about him) Nothing will happen to Reid.

Only the Dems. get a free ride. The Republicans get crucified.

Semper

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
And also the democrat congresswoman from I think Georgia that get's off with practically nothing for assault and batttery on a Capotol Policeman.

Compare that with Trent Lott, forced to resign over a couple words in a speech about a long ago event, while democrat senator Byrd of West Virginia was actually a KKK member and is still doing fine.

The list goes on and on ...

Maybe the smart play on this subject for democrats in congress and their supporters here would be to just drop this subject before all the skeletons in your closet are exposed.

[edit on 10/12/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Like Jefferson, (Good point by the way, I had forgotten about him) Nothing will happen to Reid.

Only the Dems. get a free ride. The Republicans get crucified.

Semper

Hey my good friend welcome to politics. Everything is crooked and the rules never apply to everyone.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Best post yet..

Pretty much sums it all up..

Semper

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Just proves that Holy Republicans and Self Righteous Democrats are only different when appealing for the votes to get there jobs. Once in office.. they are scum, every last one of them, a flawed system instated and upheld by the ignorant masses of the American population.

We need to take a few lessons from say... Hungary?

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Easy to say only that both sides are bad and that's all.

What I, and I think others here are asking for is a level playing field. You do something illegal, and it doesn't matter which party you belong to, you're out. The complaints you're seeing have to do with the hypocrisy of one side actually "paying" for their sins, while the other gets off scott free.

You can't just let that go by saying both sides are bad.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Does it make a difference that the intern was 22 at the time???

Legally no. The age of consent in Washington DC is 16. Lets face it if this wasn't a Congressional election year, this would have rated about 5 minutes on CNN and then would have went away. I used to work for a guy who was a retired Washington DC cop, if 5% of what he told me was true then there is a hell of alot more being hidden than some Congresscritter sending perverted messages to 16 year old boys. Kind of makes me wonder where Foley screwed up and who he pised off to get this out into the light.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
...this would have rated about 5 minutes on CNN and then would have went away

You've got to be kidding! In this day and age of "To catch a predator!"

At 16 years old, legal or no, this is a scandal any way you turn it. And Harry Reid making money off a land deal? C'mon, man. Give me a break! You can't even compare the two.

And for everyone, Denying ignorance shouldn't include polituical hackery. Keep it on topic or move it to the PTS gutter where it belongs. A sad, sad state of affairs indeed. Left-Right, Right-Left, Left-Right. Careful or we'll march right into The Great Divide again.

Seriously, "politicians are all dirty"? Is this a revelation (again)?

The left/right divide is a fabrication to keep you all bickering. Having fun yet? Becuase you all give me a headache.

[edit on 10/12/2006 by deluded]

[edit on 10/12/2006 by deluded]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Another scandel just before election time. I'm shocked!

I'm sure that this will cause a Republican landslide... Oh wait.

News just in. George Bushs war in Iraq has killed over 600,000 Iraqies.
Another scandle. I'm shocked!!

How many more scandles will be publicisied before the election. Let's all count.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join