It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant comet may collide with Earth late October

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Thanks Mdv2,
At least we have another source besides Pravda on this comet. I have to admit I was enjoying the respite from all the comet flybys. I've kinda had my fill of those things especially after that last one that broke into so many fragments. And now, here comes another one.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
No worries. Just a giant comet.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll be able to hear, or feel that impact. That'd be pretty cool now wouldnt it? An experience like that would make it worth it.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Ah worst case scenario - call Bruce Willis and Ben Aaaaflack. They have much experience blowing up nukes in space al la saving earth by changing their orbit.

Er actually I think we may need to replace Bruce with Arnold since he unfortunately didnt make it back from his last earth saving adventure.

Either way...we're saved!

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Actually I think it would be a good thing for something like this to happen. It would finally break the constant focus of War, Homosexuality, Terrorism, and Scandals. We would possibly all be trying to survive if it affects the global climate.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thank you for providing a second source for this- I hope it just scoots by and all will be well....

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
One more source:

Between October 4 and October 13 a total of 7 minor meteor showers reach their peak activity. If you happen to be outside on any of these nights keep an eye on the sky. Most of these meteor showers are located towards the north of our area, so look in that area of the sky. During these nights there is a potential to see between 4 and 20 meteors per hour. The best viewing time is after midnight. For more information about comets and meteors

University Times

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
There is no question that we are at a peak of meteor action due to all these meteor showers...

but keep in mind, that a house sized asteroid is nothing to worry about (depending on what it is made of) most of these, are equivalent to big ice balls, or big pieces of pumice like material... so they would dissolve in the atmosphere...

it is a really large heavy metal rock, I am afraid of...

And this is just one astronomer that predicts the hit...
all the others say it will be close (along with others rocks)...
hopefully the others have done the math, that the russian guy admits he didn't...

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Comet Swan barely comes within 1 AS of the Earth (ie it gets as close to the Earth as the Sun does .......! )

You can follow it's trajectory here: ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Because the comet is not moving in the same plane as the Earth's orbit it appears to be closer (depending on which angle you look at it from) than in reality it is. Maybe someone looked at this and misunderstood it? If you move the angle you can see just how far away it really is.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

We could obtain more accurate calculations if other astronomers join forces

Im sure he's probably wrong anyway DG. Nothing to worry about. If we see NASA mentioning it maybe then we could start worrying.

Pie

I don't think that a comet is going to hit earth, but I really don't think that our government would want us to know if a comet were coming, think about what would happen if everyone knew a comet was going to hit us. If they did tell us, it would probably only be because you can see two balls of fire in the sky during the day and we wouldn't have much time left anyway.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The Democrates will all blame Bush for the comet.

The Republicans will blame the Democrates because we don't spend enough on our militart. How could we stop this comet when we don't spend enough on defense.

Iran will blame the US for the comet because we don't live by the Koran and therefore this is gods will.

The Frence will continue bickering amongst themselves until they realize that they can sell comet fragments and make money.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by Wildbob77]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I ran the JPL simulation, About November 14 to November 15 2006 this comet may hit us. I hope not. How big is Swan anyhow?

[edit on 9-10-2006 by bufordny]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Here is one of the only known photos of the scientist...

PHOTO: METEOR SCIENTIST

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well, the scientist looks sane enough!
Thanks for the pic.

I was afraid he would be wearing a lab coat and look goofey.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
The Democrates will all blame Bush for the comet.

The Republicans will blame the Democrates because we don't spend enough on our militart. How could we stop this comet when we don't spend enough on defense.

Iran will blame the US for the comet because we don't live by the Koran and therefore this is gods will.

The Frence will continue bickering amongst themselves until they realize that they can sell comet fragments and make money.

Hugo Chavez will announce that the comet was sent by Bush to assassinate him. Also a member of this site will say that the meteor did not deny ignorance, merely perpetuated it, and a battle will ensue in the afterlife between the commie pinko and the neo-con. The Pope will wave his hand to a large crowd and pray for it all to go away. Pat Robertson will blame homos. Bill O'Reilly will be asked if he can spin the comet to the point that it flies back where it came from, all the while blaming the US soldiers that slaughtered the Nazis in Malmedy (you would have to have seen the clip to understand the sarcasm there.) The US will attempt to place sanctions against the comet for not allowing inspectors time to make sure there are no WMD's on it.

Let's hope this comet doesn't come in late October. My birthday is on the 26th.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Maybe Kim will nuke the comet and save us all?

Is this Russian the only man who says that a comet will hit us?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Save's me ending the world

Anyway nooooooo i gotta get laid before the world ends -.-

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's funny how many people would like to see the downfall of America, yet when something like this or another global epidemic arises, everybody automatically turns to NASA/NORAD/US Gov. to sort it out.

If the USA were to fall a lot of people would cheer. Then we find out a comet is really going to hit Earth we are all screwed. It would be like "I know who can sort this out! Oh no actually they're not there anymore..."

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
No that's as we are hoping the comet is going to hit USA
so we now need somone else to blame like NASA!

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Well, the scientist looks sane enough!
Thanks for the pic.

I was afraid he would be wearing a lab coat and look goofey.

LOL DG I dunno that guy looks like he's wearing a shirt from the old Monkees show or maybe something from Star Trek ...the dude with all the Tribbles LOL

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
*ahem* The source is PRAVDA. You know; Russia's equivalent of "The Onion."

Oy. We need a rule around here -- if the source is Pravda, ignore it. They took a news article about a comet swinging near the Earth (like the last several hundred) and turned it into a DOOOOMMMMZDAY! comet.

It gets reader attention.

But, please, be on the alert for Pravda stories and inform folks that it is the equivalent of the World Weekly News or Onion.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by Byrd]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join