It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans and Democrats, why, why, WHY?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Or should it be "Democrats and Republicans, why, why, WHY?" Lord forbid that I offend anyone by putting anyone first.

What are we talking about here? Well, political bitchery. A politician gets nailed for a crime(or a moral lapse), an opposing member posts it. Whips it out like a gun, "See what that parties member did." When I see what party the offending politician is from I can tell pretty much tell who posted it, BOTH SIDES. One exception, df1, he posts about both sides.

NEXT. Why do you as a member of any party take exception to having it pointed out that a member of your party #ed up? Did you do it? The way that some members defend the allegations to a politician is mind boggling to me. It doesn't even have to be in your constituancy. Just has to be your party. I don't get this. Lately there is this Foley that the Dem's are BBQing. Rep's are saying that this makes the Dem's look like political "vultures". Is this any different than what the Rep's did to Clinton? All he did was almost get some. Were the Rep's "vultures" at the time?

See where I'm going with this? BOTH sides are doing the same thing, pointing fingers. WHY? What does that achieve? Load your guns folks because these elected officials are human and they are going to make mistakes. Keep bashing each other over the head with them. When that happens, THEY WIN!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yeah our political system stinks..

Its no longer who is the best for us, who is the most moral, who will accomplish the most..

Its no become who is the worst, who has the least morals, who has accomplished less.. then pick the better of two evils. Tell me... how is it possible to move forward?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
No one wants to go here?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I see almost a religious hold on political party devotees.

Ideology that only allows for black and white issues with no real regard with what might be in their OWN self interest. Sort of "I have chosen my position and I'll be damned if any facts can change my mind" attitude.

This approach is exhibited all to frequently here on ATS, but I guess it pervades society in general.

God help us!!!! I see nothing that will change the dogmatic attitudes short of something traumatic and earthshaking. I don't think we have long to wait in that reguard either. October surprise anyone!!!

It's a brave new world; welcome to the monkey house!

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
When I see what party the offending politician is from I can tell pretty much tell who posted it, BOTH SIDES.

Actually, the test for me is the manner in which I am subsequently viewed as a result of posting/supporting something with regard to either side.

I have been labeled by so many contradictory terms on this website, it's ridiculous.

...I don't get this....

I do.

It is a symptom of an electorate that fails to hold accountable instances of dishonesty wherever it might be found.

As long as we accept the thorough demonization of other fellow Americans, who happen to not share a particular party affiliation, we can certainly expect more of the same.

I'm sick of it.

:shk:

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The big difference between the Republicans and the Democrats is that at least the Democrats will try and kiss you before they tell you to bend over, with the Republicans its closer to date rape.

IN all seriousness...The rise of the hard right in the Republican party started with that parties embrace of the dixiecrats who left the Democratic party over civil rights and desegregation and in the almost 40 years since they have relied on the politics of prejudice and resentment, greed and selfishness, self-righteousness, and rigid religiousness to garner and keep power. I really have to wonder whether the Republican party could give up this habit of hostility and renounce the most bigoted and narrow-minded of its base, and still survive at this late date. They really have with the likes of Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich, Grover Norquist, Ann Coulter, Micheal Savage and Rush Limbraugh become the attack party and it is truly ugly. That decent Americans cannot see the vileness at the heart of this type of politics and reject it is beyond me.

To the Democrats credit they saw the wrong inherant in the racism of the south and rejected it. To their discredit, they supported it for almost a century before doing so. The big "problem" at the root of liberal thought is that it is its nature to try and view things from multiple prespectives (don't always succeed but still) and as a party of different, often at odds, factions, the Democrat/liberal voice changes based on who is speaking. So the voice of a Joe Liberman democrat is totally different than the voice of a Jesse Jackson democrat. Trouble is that varied and varying voice makes it look like they are wishy washy. BUT despite the various voices, the core thing that connects them is variety itself and knowing that it is at its very heart, truly American.

People forget that liberalism is not monolithic. There are liberal Democrats for sure, but until they were forced out by the hard right, there were liberal Republicans as well. Odd to say but given the current climate in the party, Nixon would be considered too liberal by many on the right today. When the hard right began their attacks on the left/liberals and democrats in ernest, in the late 70's early 80's the Democrats pretty much ignored the attacks well into the 90's when they began a half hearted attempt to fight back but by then the damage had been done....the average voter had been convinced that liberal/democrat was some kind of dirty word and that despite all evidences to the contrary, their best interests were served by the Republicans. Al Gore and John Kerry's biggest sins politically were the fact that they did not fight back against the slurs and attacks. instead they continued the Democrats greatest folly which with the help of the Democratic leadership council, they have instead of standing up for their values, tried to position themselves as conservative lite when from what I have seen people want a clear choice, and not getting it, vote for the ones shouting the loudest... i.e. the republicans.

Politics is not a sport for gentlemen... the Queensbury rules do not apply, it is a blood sport and most people instinctively understand that and give the thumbs up to the most ruthless (up to a point). As it stands both parties offer nothing to the average American and libiterianism is not a viable political force.

What it boils down to is that both parties have so compromised themselves that is could be argued that their continuince will do serious if not irreparable damage to the country. Indeed I think they already have...as a nation we are more polarized than any other time in our history this side of the civil war.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
it's all about the money in american politics

if you don't take part in the system, you won't have the money to win

that is the sad sad truth

until REAL campaign finance reform gets passed, it'll be like that

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It has more to do with the truely good people out here in the real world have absoulutely no interest in entering the world of "realpolitik". That leaves the not so good people to run...well guess what happens? The standards of behaviour drop...and loe and behold...perverts on Capital Hill. Or crooks in charge of financial affairs. How this is a surprise to anyone is beyond me...but then programming a VCR is beyond me...so what do I know?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I see what you guys are saying and I agree but I'm talking about members pointing at politicians from the opposing party, kind of like drawing a weapon and members of the polititian party defending that person like it was a family member. Party line BS.

Oh, and a few sentances I could really go the rest of my life not hearing again: "That's not a credible news source imo" and "Those are just allegation, nothing is proven". And guess what BOTH SIDES pull this crap.

[edit on 6-10-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

...I'm talking about members pointing at politicians from the opposing party, kind of like drawing a weapon and members of the polititian party defending that person like it was a family member. Party line BS...

Part of the same demonization process. If I can prove you wrong in one place, you must be wrong in all places. Guilt by political association is also the rule.

As long as we treat our politicians like cartoon characters, this moronic over-simplification will breed more of the same.

[edit on 6-10-2006 by loam]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well I have been preaching how corrupted is our political system for months occurs I may have been tagged a Radical liberal for it.

But the corruption doesn't stop with one side is The entire political system that is corrupted.

Now all the scandals are coming out
no only the new ones but the old ones, I guess when politicians get to play dirty they mean it.

And we don't look any better in the eyes of the world than one week ago.

The nation of democracy and rights is nothing than a joke thanks to our leaders.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Some of us do it to make a point that both sides are equally wrong or even equally right (not quite as often I'll grant you), not to make a partisan point. At least that's how I see it.

Oh...just to see, or read, you go whirlybird...

"That's not a credible source...IMHO."

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Oh...just to see, or read, you go whirlybird...

"That's not a credible source...IMHO."

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I find myself mostly criticizing Republicans, mainly because they're the ones in power now. For this I typically get tagged as a liberal Democrat - which I'm not particularly - at the state level I'm just as likely to vote Republican if not more.

I will say though that off all the political partisans I've dealt with, the gung-ho pro Bush crowd are the absolute worst. If you don't support this administration, you're a pro-terrorist anti American traitor

[edit on 10/6/06 by xmotex]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
(The big difference between the Republicans and the Democrats is that at least the Democrats will try and kiss you before they tell you to bend over, with the Republicans its closer to date rape. )

That is priceless, so sick and yet so true.
I see the only way we will get change is to elect a 3rd party person but the media will not allow that to happen.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Thank you factfinder... a good line is a terrible thing to waste.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Intripid this is exactly why I'm an independant. Both parties have immoral idiots running for office neither party has a corner on stupidity. The problem I see is the smart people who would actually run for office to serve the public don't either because they can't afford to or because they don't want to swim in the sewer. This being the case we end up electing people who are there to serve their own selfish interests and who are in many cases the lowest of criminals not that I would mention Foley by name.

top topics

join