It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Democrat Sex Scandals in Congress

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
www.humanevents.com...

I partically like number 2 & 3:

3. Former Rep. Gerry Studds. He was censured for sexual relationship with underage male page in 1983. Massachusetts voters returned him to office for six more terms.

2. Former Rep. Mel Reynolds. The Illinois Democrat was convicted of 12 counts of sexual assault with a 16-year-old. President Bill Clinton pardoned him before leaving office.

Of course, in typical dem/lib fashion, this behavior was accepted.

At least the repubs are giving this guy the boot. (after all the emails were pretty damn disgusting!)

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I saw Kerry on the tube calling for someone's head over this matter in an effort to smear the entire Republican Party.

www.kcci.com...

New Mexico Democrat Attorney General Patricia Madrid is trying to put the blame on Republican Congressman Heather Wilson whose seat she covets. Madrid has run the dirtiest campaign imaginable and has posited nothing substantive to the issues, except to make it clear that she wants out of Iraq and she hates Wilson.

www.madridforcongress.com...

[edit on 2006/10/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Does it particularly matter?

I mean I don't care who does it, well don't much care about this
kind of thing as is, but I care even less about the political associ-
ation of who did it.

It's polarisation like this that's making our country fall.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2

At least the repubs are giving this guy the boot. (after all the emails were pretty damn disgusting!)

As far as I can tell, the only "openness" in the Republican party at this moment is a fight over who's going to be crucified. The time to give this guy the boot and talk about being better than the dems was a long time ago. The opportunity to do the right thing was kept personal between Republicans as a damage control assessment rather than being put through official channels in the interest of the child or the integrity of our government.

ABC gets their hands on the info and all of a sudden the Republicans are out to crucify somebody alright, only problem is none of them can agree on who it will be. The Majority Leader (Boehner) certainly didn't want to take responsibility for it staying partisan so he claimed that he told the Speaker (Hastert). Hastert was happier to see Reynolds fry, and when Reynolds figured that out he nailed down the fact that Hastert knew in retaliation.

This little song and dance and the fact that democrats do it too are not going to mitigate the damages to the Republican party in my view. They put politics ahead of people, period. Not "Timmy's mom lets him do it", not "I didn't know it was against the rules", not "Only a little bit", no. You broke the friggin rules, now go choose your switch. I'm pretty sure that once upon a time, every 5 year old knew that. How did that escape the memory of the US Congress?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Where are all the sexual conduct apologists?

This has really shaken things up on Capitol Hill, but the fact is that so far there is no evidence that Foley did anything more than display bad taste and poor professional ethics.

For that, he has been forced to resign his seat. The Democrats are falling all over themselves trying to make more of this than is evident at this time.

Clearly, there are no Republicans trying to justify Foley's actions, which is more than can be said for Democrats when Clinton was caught with his DNA where it didn't belong and lying under oath about it.

I am disappointed that one Republican would declare that the page program is outdated, when in actuality what seems to be outdated is responsible adulthood.

Foley scandal puts House page program in jeopardy

[edit on 2006/10/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wow, this is amazing. A republican member of congress is trying to have sex with young boys, and out of the blue we have reminders of democrats who've been naughty also.

Yeesh.

gradyphilpott
This has really shaken things up on Capitol Hill, but the fact is that so far there is no evidence that Foley did anything more than display bad taste and poor professional ethics.

Thats just what those guys on "To catch a predator" say in their defense. We don't buy it then, we're certainly not going to buy it from foley. Clinton was scum for lying to everyone about banging lewinsky, that doesn't give foley a free pass, nor hastert for covering it up.

Clearly, there are no Republicans trying to justify Foley's actions, which is more than can be said for Democrats when Clinton was caught

That doesn't mean that foley or hastert or anyone else that knew about this grown man hitting on young boys while in a position of power and trust should get a free pass!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Clinton was scum for lying to everyone about banging lewinsky...

Nuh uh. Never did. Remember Wild Bill redefined sex for us. And he most certainly did not have sex with that woman.

Of course, the meaning of "is" is up in the air as well.

Foley's a snake. The fact he propositioned a subordinate is bad enough. The fact it was a minor makes it significantly worse. Of course, like any good famous person, it was actually a substance abuse problem and now he's in rehab. I'd like to rehab the guy with a fungo bat.

You'd think (or at least hope) that when one of your children is chosen to be a congressional page (a significant honor, I believe), that the least of your worries would be sexual predation by a congressman.

I'm beyond disgusted

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Nygdan

In order to understand my posts, it is necessary to read the entire post and take each part of that post in context. Taking sentences out of context and responding to them independently really doesn't do either one of us justice.

I will be more concise.

As yet, there has been no evidence released that Foley had physical contact with any minor or committed a crime involving the internet. Regardless, the Republican leadership called for his resignation and got it. Until such time as law enforcement finds probable cause that Foley broke the law, further conjecture on the issue by Democrats and calling for heads to roll only makes them look more opportunistic than we know them to be.

If more evidence is released regarding cover-ups and breeches of the law, then I predict we will see Republicans joining the Democrats in calling for immediate actions against the wrong-doers.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
In that case, what do you think the purpose of THIS thread is then Grady?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
In what case, intrepid?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
In what case, intrepid?

If there's nothing to confirm the allegations, why does this thread and the source material it's based on exist? With the political BS being thrown around, he said/she said crap, why would the source materal even exist? Seems to me like pulling this card would lend credence to the allegations.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I don't know, intrepid. I didn't start the thread.

I thought that I had made myself clear in my previous posts.

In my opinion, Democrats are making more of this than the evidence made public warrants. Foley has resigned in disgrace and is a ruined man. If evidence arises that he broke the law, then he will be a disgraced, ruined, and an incarcerated man.

I think that given the evidence that I have seen, the Republicans have acted responsibly and that the Democrats are only making themselves look bad by trying to smear the Republican Party with Foley's indiscretions.

That's the third and last time I'm going to say the same thing on this thread.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I think that given the evidence that I have seen, the Republicans have acted responsibly and that the Democrats are only making themselves look bad by trying to smear the Republican Party with Foley's indiscretions.

Uhum...Hastert knew about Foley's "indiscretions" at least a year ago but chose to hide it and did nothing. You call this the Republicans acting responsibly?

So, having said that, no there is no evidence of actual physical contact. Yes, the page was underage; however, I have read that the age of consent in DC is 16 y.o. Haven't had time to confirm that or not, but the point is, so far with what we know, Foley hasn't commited a crime. He did, howver, sexually harass a subordinate, at the very least. That right there should be grounds for being dismissed from the Senate, it's simply poor taste and a lack of professionalism.

The page wasn't a child, he was what 15 or 16, not a child, but very young. Foley is at least a "chicken hawk". Let's see what the rest of the disclosures bring.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Uhum...Hastert knew about Foley's "indiscretions" at least a year ago but chose to hide it and did nothing. You call this the Republicans acting responsibly?

Unless, you know more than what is currently being reported, Hastert only knew of the salacious IMs on Friday. Foley is history and the page program is being scrutinized to make work better. Given the available information, that's a responsible response.

If you know more, please provide references.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
First of all, let's keep in mind that debate over whether or not the resignation was right is basically political or moral, as opposed to legal.

"I tried like hell to get a 16 year old boy to have sex with me, but he was straight."
is an interesting idea for a defense, but I think resigning was probably the smarter play. The presence or lack of Foley's DNA on a 16 year old boy has serious legal implications but in the court of public opinion you're not even allowed to want it.

If I may quote "Walk the Line", "He said don't touch it. Don't think about touchin' it, don't sing about touchin' it, don't think about singin' about touchin' it!"

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
And. . . lady and Gens this is the type of people that are ruining the country for us in our behave and with our votes.

What we have in our political system is a group of arrogant old man that think that their # doesn't stink.

I say let fire both elite party's and lets bring some young blood to the dying dynasty of the dinosaurs in congress.

I guess . . . I am dreaming.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
www.humanevents.com...

I partically like number 2 & 3:

3. Former Rep. Gerry Studds. He was censured for sexual relationship with underage male page in 1983. Massachusetts voters returned him to office for six more terms.

2. Former Rep. Mel Reynolds. The Illinois Democrat was convicted of 12 counts of sexual assault with a 16-year-old. President Bill Clinton pardoned him before leaving office.

Both parties have had many sexual scandels.. I do not know who has the most and it is irrelivent.. What was the name of the man to killed his intern after having an affair with her? Did the Republican party fire him? Bush even considered him for a post in his administration.. of course the conspiracy was police magically found her body causing a country to be distracted (because we love morbid things like such) and helped push Bush into office. But then the Clinton scandle was a mockery of our country. Neither side is right, and to the democrats who re-elected that guy for 6 terms ... omg.. what is wrong with you guys??

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
You know I've got to say, I don't see why this is so bad, I mean
he did'nt do anything physically, he did'nt ask to meet any of
them.

He just had some explicit conversations, which is'nt illegal, they
were all at or above the consent age, and the original one was
flirting back.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The IMs that blew the lid off this story are not the whole story. There were emails that the family of the page has not yet released--to my knowledge. The investigation into this matter has only just begun.

It may very well be that Foley didn't break the law, but he sure crossed the line in terms of professional ethics and that is why he is now an ex-Congressman. Whether or not he becomes an incarcerated ex-Congressman depends on the investigation.

I'm betting on his having broken the law and his future imprisonment, but I'm basing that on his behavior since the story broke.

It will be interesting when he is finally released from rehab and must face the media.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2006/10/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Taking sentences out of context and responding to them independently really doesn't do either one of us justice.

I merely am quoting the line that I am most directly responding to, I am not ignoring the full context.

Until such time as law enforcement finds probable cause that Foley broke the law, further conjecture on the issue by Democrats and calling for heads to roll only makes them look more opportunistic than we know them to be.

What does it matter if this guy was actually raping kids? They knew that he was having disgusting conversations with little boys, and they sat on it without a care. If this guy actually did rape some kids, and they sat on it, figuring its acceptable to hit on young boys on line, then all that changes is that they're now responsible for a kid getting raped.

I predict we will see Republicans joining the Democrats in calling for immediate actions against the wrong-doers.

If its an appropriate political oppurtunity, sure.

In my opinion, Democrats are making more of this than the evidence made public warrants.

Foley hit on young boys, hasterts office knew, did nothing, therefore, foley should be deported and hastert kicked out of office for being scum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join