It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Study Shows Internet to be Resilient Against Terror Attack "

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

COLUMBUS , Ohio – Researchers have simulated what would happen to Internet reliability in the United States if terrorists were able to knock out various physical components of the network. The good news is that it would be very difficult to cause major disruptions across the country, although destruction of some key parts could seriously degrade Internet quality. “When it comes to the Internet, there is strength in numbers,” said Morton O'Kelly, co-author of the study and professor of geography at Ohio State University.

Full story here

I guess if terrorists sent out mass viruses’ and knocked out all our pc's that would be minor damage. I think it would cripple our economy because people buy more online than they do in stores.

What do you think?

AlBeMeT

Sorry for the caps!

[edit on 28-9-2006 by AlBeMet]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Obviously you would have to take out a large percentage of the communication networks to do any real damage.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I highly doubt people buy more online than in person. Besides, even if they did, they would just drive to the store to get what they need.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The only time the number of people buying online comes anywhere near the number of people buying from the stores is during Christmas.

Outside of eBay, it makes no sense to buy anything online..

Why wait from 3 days to 3 weeks to get what you bought when you could get off your ass and go down to the store and buy it right then?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet

Originally posted by pugachev
I highly doubt people buy more online than in person. Besides, even if they did, they would just drive to the store to get what they need.

74% of the Internet population over the age of 13 will shop online this year, up a tad from 73% last year and 7 percentage points from 2001. That equals 115.1 million consumers over 13, up from 82.3 million in 2001. In 2007, 77% of the online population over age 13—131.3 million people—will shop online.

That doesn't mean they won't shop in stores at all and that doesn't mean they don't have the ability to get to a store to shop.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DickBinBush
The only time the number of people buying online comes anywhere near the number of people buying from the stores is during Christmas.

Outside of eBay, it makes no sense to buy anything online..

Why wait from 3 days to 3 weeks to get what you bought when you could get off your ass and go down to the store and buy it right then?

Because on the internet its not just Wal-Mart vrs Target You can get the best prices online there are more competitors = lower prices And people by nature are a very lazy animal If they can save 100.00 on a purchase they will wait the 3 days instead of having to get off of there fat lazy azz and spend 2.+ dollars a gallon for gas and pay 100. Dollars more for the same thing.

AlBeMeT

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

That doesn't mean they won't shop in stores at all and that doesn't mean they don't have the ability to get to a store to shop.

I never said that that people don’t shop at all in stores Statically more people are shopping online for things they can get better deals on. Please stay on topic and not drag it out to the extremes!

My statement was It would hurt our economy if the terriosts got a virus to shut down our pc's and I also stated with fact that 75% of everyone online shops online.

AlBeMeT

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet

I never said that that people don’t shop at all in stores Statically more people are shopping online for things they can get better deals on. Please stay on topic and not drag it out to the extremes!

My statement was It would hurt our economy if the terriosts got a virus to shut down our pc's and I also stated with fact that 75% of everyone online shops online.

AlBeMeT

I highly doubt some cave dwellers could bring down our economy with a virus. The important computers and servers would be protected by the U.S. government if the virus was so dangerous that it would damage the way they make money. It may get us civilians, but major businesses? The government? The military? No way. Not gonna happen.

new topics

top topics

join