It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germans Cancel Opera for Fear of Offending Muslims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
If they wanted to curtail freedom of speech, the Muslims are certainly winning:

Times Online UK

The German Chancellor has joined the chorus of disapproval over an opera company's decision to cancel a Mozart opera production to avoid angering Muslims.

At the height Mozart's Idomeneo, the bloodstained King of Crete stumbles onstage and holds aloft the decapitated heads of Poseidon, Jesus, Buddha and the Prophet Muhammad. "The gods are dead!" he calls out to the audience.

Mindful of the violent outrage triggered by the publication of cartoons of the Prophet in Denmark, and of a warning by Berlin security officials that they could not guarantee the opera house’s security in the event of similar protests, the bosses of the Deutsche Oper in Berlin decided to cancel performances of the show in the German capital.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Obviously this insults all religions, including mine (Christianity). I would protest if this was being funded by my tax money (which doesn't seem to be the case here), but otherwise I feel it is a right to have the artistic freedom to do something like this.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
"the Muslims are certainly winning"
It would appear that they( the radical Muslims) have already won! It seems(and I don't know for sure) that they won't be happy until the world bows down to them. Could someone tell me the difference between the Muslims, and the christians? We both have the same God do we not? Is Jesus, and Mohammad the only difference?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I find this so ridiculous is not funny.

Since when Germany has a muslin rule? isn't this kind of extreme?

But taking into consideration that I had a dream a over a year ago that we had to stop everything for prayer time, I even heard the call and people dropping to their knees and bending to the east.
here in any where America.

It was a dream after all.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
"Since when Germany has a muslin rule? isn't this kind of extreme?"
What does that have anything to do with this at all? They just like the rest of the world are living in fear of insulting radical islamic law.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I find this so ridiculous is not funny.

Since when Germany has a muslin rule? isn't this kind of extreme?

But taking into consideration that I had a dream a over a year ago that we had to stop everything for prayer time, I even heard the call and people dropping to their knees and bending to the east.
here in any where America.

It was a dream after all.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by marg6043]

thats the way it will be because everyone refuses to fight or take a stand against it.

:shk: might as well give it up now.... women get the burkhas on and get behing me...
welcome to slavery.

200 years of progress undone by idiot radical muslims and equally idiotic apologist liberals.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

:shk: might as well give it up now.... women get the burkhas on and get behing me...
welcome to slavery.

200 years of progress undone by idiot radical muslims and equally idiotic apologist liberals.

It will never happen, you know why, in America plastic surgery is a big money pit, women look for improvements all the time to their bodies.

If women has to hide their bodies under a burkha then it will not be needs for plastic surgery because they will have nobody to show up for their efforts just their husbands in the bedroom.

It will never happen we are a society of vane people, we don't like to hide.

just a joke.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
~~

while thinking about the opera's scene...

perhaps its not about Muslim's 'winning'
maybe it's time all our cultures have a look-see at all the bias, scapegoating,
and the casual deflamation of one anothers icons, and the values those symbols
represent in the minds others.
In the West is it more or less accepted that anyone has a 'right' to trash
someones faith or intelligence or looks or whatever...as long it isn't done in malice

and the stance that the opera scene equally steps on Christian, Roman Pantheon,
Muslim and Buddhist icons, and is therefore OK
is really stretching the 'License' of Creativity and Art...

to some peoples view the opera scene may be interpeted as Blasphemy
It might just be that many other offended faithful have just kept their mouths shut
perhaps because, they themselves have quietly accepted the way-of-the-world around them to keep that tiny toehold their careers & lives require.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Well, other religions don't kill/riot when their gods & prophets are offended. Only Muslims do that, to my knowledge.

Reminds me of in Star Wars when R2D2 was playing Chewbacca at a game similar to Chess. "Let the Wookie win."

Giving in just makes the radicals stronger, sadly. It'll come to a point, sooner or later. They're becoming more and more bold, especially as their numbers grow.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
~~

while thinking about the opera's scene...

perhaps its not about Muslim's 'winning'
maybe it's time all our cultures have a look-see at all the bias, scapegoating,
and the casual deflamation of one anothers icons, and the values those symbols
represent in the minds others.
In the West is it more or less accepted that anyone has a 'right' to trash
someones faith or intelligence or looks or whatever...as long it isn't done in malice

and the stance that the opera scene equally steps on Christian, Roman Pantheon,
Muslim and Buddhist icons, and is therefore OK
is really stretching the 'License' of Creativity and Art...

to some peoples view the opera scene may be interpeted as Blasphemy
It might just be that many other offended faithful have just kept their mouths shut
perhaps because, they themselves have quietly accepted the way-of-the-world around them to keep that tiny toehold their careers & lives require.

How about just coming out and saying what you mean.

Do you think the German opera did the right thing in deciding to let their fear of a bunch of faceless radical muslims decide what they can perform?

[edit on 9/27/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Do you think the German opera did the right thing in deciding to let a bunch of faceless radical muslims decide what they can perform?

From what i understand from the news artcle it seems to be some sort of self censorship and they are not actually being forced to by muslims.

Am i right or wrong

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Damn all your religions and your interference with the cultural arts. Religion is what prohibits man kind from procedeing because over sensitive god fearing types ruin it for everyone.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
i saw this story on Google this afternoon and was like wtf... i hit wikipedia first thing since i figured they'd have a summary of it, and they too had already referenced this "2006 controversy"...

en.wikipedia.org...

The "Idomeneo" production, directed by Hans Neuenfels, shows King Idomeneo staggering on stage carrying the decapitated heads of Poseidon, Jesus, Buddha and Muhammad; a departure from the libretto and score.

i would just like to know who the hell changed the opera to begin with and why; back to Google i go...

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
They are just a lttle too self-engrossed in their 'religion'

I have a painting of Mohammad, George and Jesus ...

.... in the bottom of my toilet.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Ive noticed this here in Perth.

A concert is set to be held on the beach near fremantle soon, a remake of the Queen band and all there hits.

We had our top muslim leader for our state come on and activley DEMAND this show be cancelled because Queens actions were against muslim values.

its a FRIGGEN rock concert FFS... why do you need to bring religion into our MUSIC now ?

But, really... who benefits more from the cancelling of these shows?

Why do I get the feeling... governments are now allowing this to happen..

Are we being pushed into anger and hatred toward this religion?

Are the governemnts laying down and allowing these muslims to affect our activities in the hope more and more of us grow AGAINST them ?

ITS RELIGION FFS It hurts and upsets you only if you ALLOW IT.

TOLERENCE PEOPLE!

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   

The scene, added to the script by director Hans Neuenfels, is meant to symbolise the king’s estrangement from religion after he reneges on a vow to the gods, and was roundly booed at its Berlin premiere in 2003.

www.ft.com...

apparently this dude, Hans Neuenfels, added the scene... and wtf for? how could he have not known this would only cause controversy? you can't just go around rewriting Mozart, it's just wrong...

I don't understand. There are just as many notes, Majesty, as are required. Neither more nor less.

&

They say I've got to re-write the opera, but it's perfect as it is. I can't rewrite what's perfect.

-Tom Hulce as W.A. Mozart in 'Amadeus'

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by m3rlz
apparently this dude, Hans Neuenfels, added the scene... and wtf for? how could he have not known this would only cause controversy? you can't just go around rewriting Mozart, it's just wrong...

At first I didn't realize it was altered, but it doesn't really matter (other than it would personally make me even less likely to go see it). The artist should still have the right to show his art without fear of getting a theater blown up.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I see now that the scene was added. Why don't they just remove the scene instead of cancelling the whole thing? :shk:

Originally posted by iqonx
From what i understand from the news artcle it seems to be some sort of self censorship and they are not actually being forced to by muslims.

Am i right or wrong

You're right, it is self-censorship. But remember what happened with the cartoons? Remember how many people died? The fires? The mayhem? The destruction? All over a freaking cartoon? That's what I think the Germans are trying to avoid. And I think they're making the WRONG decision to bow to the 'threat' of extremists, whether voiced in this particular instance or not.

BTW, does this Burka make me look fat?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I've been folowing the "incident" in german and belgian media. Please note that this is a case of selfcensorship from the opera itself. German politicians do not support this decision, not has there been any complaint from a muslim group. The people running the opera just want to avoid controversy, understandable in today's political/religious climate. Also note that the production was already on stage in 2003, causing alot of reaction from the audience (germans, not muslims, btw).

Mr Jones

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well self-censorship in a way is worse than government-imposed censorship in this case.

At least with the government, there's a central target to focus on changing through elections, coups d'etats etc. to remove the barriers to free speech.

With an amorphous Muslim terrorist element out there it's hard to do anything about it other than self-censorship.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This reminds me alot of an exhibition a few years ago here by a young streetartist where a painting of hitler getting a blowjob from a little girl was removed from the exhibition after complaints from visitors. No muslim was involved in this case of selfcensorship. A few jews were.
Selfcensorship doens't work well with artists, galleries however (or operas) can decide what and what not to show.
If however the governement is going to decide what can be shown and what not, i'd get pretty scared. Unless you live in singapore ofcos...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join