It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Peace: If the USA and Russia truly join together?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
In your opinion, do you think there would be a sort of Pax Romana if Russia and the USA joined together? No more countries standing up to 2 forceful countries with thousands of nuclear weapons, etc.? The USA not undermining Russia and vice versa? Each country not supporting each other's enemies or soon to be enemies?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think Russia and the United States could do a lot of good together. On the other hand have such a titanic superpower might just prove to motivate other potential superpowers to rise in the hopes of knocking it down. Namely China and the Middle East. I just don't think two powerful nations like that could ever fully trust one another.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Anything is possible, but it would not mean that if such an alliance were to exist that there would be peace or are you saying that the two countries would take out any potential threats before they became a reality. And the question well may be academic as many on this site and elswhere are of the opinion that there is a group of powerful, super rich individuals who want us at each others throats all the time who are not interested in sovereign nations or individual freedoms.

How many wars fought in the last 200 years, I would have to check the number but at a guess there must of been one every 3-4 years if not less. The average man in the street dose not make war its the politicians who are in the employ of the aforementioned who make war and you and I the cannon fodder who go to fight for them.

My memory is a little rusty on the war of Independance but was that not about rich/powerful European business men who did not want to pay taxes to the mother country so they eventually got everybody to fight for them. And they seem to be doing a dam good job dont they as we are still fighting for them today. So no there would be no peace until we takeout the blood sucking parasites, the false gods, the liars, the murders, the money grabbing swine that we allow to rule us.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Total peace?

Only if we could undo the damages done in the last 200 years (at least) on what were called "the colonies" and that today is called "third world".

Those countries were used only as a source of cheap raw materials, cheap workforce (many times as slaves), and as a destination where rich people could have a good time, and were (and many still are) exploited to the maximum.

If the USA and Russia joined forces, that would not be enough to stop the Big Corporations from, for example, use people almost as slaves to pick up the cocoa nuts with which the chocolate is made, just because we like chocolate and the Big Corporations want to do it in the cheaper way possible.

One of the reasons for the existence of so many illegal immigrants in Europe is the fact that most African countries are only used in the same way they have been used since the arrival of the Europeans in great quantities.

In those countries, the only thing that the Big Corporations (and before them, the states that controlled those countries) want is the land, because of what grows on it or because of what exists beneath it, the people that live there are only a nuisance that they must endure if they want to get the raw materials.

For the Corporations is cheaper to pay an fat salary to an European, American or Asian worker than to build schools on those countries. Schools are cheap but dangerous, if the people learn what their country is giving and what they get in return they may see that they only need to get together to do the same as the big corporations do.

Those countries have been devastated by wars not because the people who live there don't like one another but because there is always something that can be used as a trigger to start a war and stop the people from seeing what the country could be if they had access to a small amount of the money that the Corporations gain by using the people and/or the land of those countries.

But if you are forgetting all those countries, then I think that peace is really easily achievable between the richer countries.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Such an alliance would indeed be very powerful, and unmatched since WWII, or perhaps ever, since in WWII USSR and USA were more of temporary sidekicks than allies.

With Russia possessing enough resources to fullfill both its and America's needs, there would be far fewer problems with oil for the US. Also Russia has a pretty sizable budget surplus thanks to oil revenues to fuel government investments. US could offer Russia in return immense investment potential. US economy would strengthen if Russia and US would create a free trade zone, because there is still a lot of business potential in Russia and its more remote regions. Such an alliance would certainly help both countries. And with free trade between them they could virtually eliminate any reliance on the so called "troubled regions".

However in my opinion such an alliance, if we consider it to be military as well, would not only be unable to stop all conflicts in the world, but it would likely create more conflicts. Without a balance of power between two or more competitve "empires", the US-Russia alliance would have more discretion to innitiate conflicts to further its cause. Why is the US cautious of attacking Iran or NK now? Because they have to consider how such action would be taken by Russia and China. This check on power would be absent if such an alliance existed.

Furthermore this would entice the rest of the world to quickly build up their military forces to prevent to the new "single Empire" from attacking them. China and India would accelerate their military development. New alliances would form to offset the great giant. EU would become more wary of the US, and possibly terminate some partenership between the two.

At the end it would be pre-WWI era all over again. The coming together of great alliance and massive build up of military forces- eventually leading to a massive conflict ignited by but a minor spark.

So I saw no to the Great Alliance. Let there be powers to offset, balance, and check each other. Plus the ideology difference between Russia and US is still very great. Russian political mentality is somewhat different from that of US and Western allies like Britain and France.

Current relations between Russia and US are far from good now anyhow. With Russia quickly getting a hold of its energy resources the Western corporations are becoming more concerned about their investments in such enterprises as Sakhalin 1 and 2 (massive offshore oil platforms and refineries). Russia is being increasingly denied investments in Western firms. There is an arguement now about Russian investment in Airbus. The Western countries are also prevented from acquiring more than a certain percentage of stock in Russian corporations. And of course Russia is unhappy about being unable to enter WTO. So there is a massive trade barrier which prevents further partnerships. Perhaps in the near future this trade barrier will disintegrate and allow heavy investment flows between Russia and the US.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I wasn't thinking quit that, I was thinking more of a............Big Friendship! Yes, I want Russia and United States to be very great friends! Goodness, no I don't want them to become one country. But I want them to be very very good friends! I want peace betwean this two countries! I like USA and I love Russia. It would be so great if they could become very very close friends...................only the future can tell. But I am hoping, hoping for the better-a great friendship betwean the two. More trust. More trade. More open relations. More traveling/touring betwean the two.

I love peace and good relations, and this would be a great one. Perhaps even a good example for other countries to follow. I'd like to see other countries make peace, too.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well Russian Soldier, I did not mean for the US and Russia to become one country. I don't even think that is possible. The people are way different and the culture is too. And the language of course. Truth be told though, white Americans are Russian and European (like me), meaning we have family in each other's countries no doubt (I know I do). Which should make us more united.

I am glad that you find it a good idea though. Now to only make the crappy politicans agree.

And maloy, thanks for your insight as always.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Neah, not a good idea, they would work only in their intrests while other small countrys would strugle, there is no kindes in this world at a higher level, only coruption and greed, any one with a total supremacy over all leads to dictatorship and not freedom, the world needs to be balanced, there needs to be 2 sides bolth of them providing strong oposition not only military, but also economicaly .
One power like that would take over the world, very dangeros.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Ahh what a grand day that would be....

But would a Russian/American joint alliance and undying cooporation bring us total and true peace? Or owuld it be a peace manifested through domination? This would certainly bring enemies to bear among the newly formed "mega power".

Peace can not be achieved through threats of reprocussions. But rather, through a untied desire and commitment by every individual working for the same basic goals. Like: patience; understanding; denying ignorance...
; denying fear(which to me is the root of all evil); compassion; empathy; sympathy.. you know all the wimpy things...

A big problem is that fear is a two way street fear is the cause of every wrong thing that has ever happened throughout our history as a peoples. why?
Everything negative(and even some positive) things we do are motivated by fear.

Emotional
Spiritual
Physical
Financial

these are the four major catagories that fear uses to manifest itself.

Emotional: The needs of the mind: Why people seek to control another person or situation emotionally. This reinforces "strength" and "security" in ones mind... but through "un peaceful means and intentions.

Spiritual: look no farther than our worlds religions histories and you can see were fear has been used for control for millenia.

Physical: killing to save ones own life is fear.. fear of dying.. so much so that you will kill to stop it. Also look no farther than our worlds history again to see how violence through fear has been prevalent.

Financial: The need to gain "security" here causes travesties among the natural world.. causes physical and emotional attacks among peoples all to feel more financially stable.

Not the combination of all the govt.s of the world could ensure peace... only through the deletion of fear can we as a people of this planet live in total peace and unity.

I apologize if that got altttle wierd but thats the way I see it.

Thanks for your time,
tone23

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I agree Tone23, but also, Russia and US working together would be good. They will work together to solve their problems and other countries'. Other countries would become their friends. This WOULD cause less fear. US and Russia have alot of resources and money to help other countries in need. They could do that. They could continue to compete, too, because what would the world be without competition? Maybe other countries would follow the example. Maybe the 2 could help other countries settle their differences.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Well Russian Soldier, I did not mean for the US and Russia to become one country. I don't even think that is possible. The people are way different and the culture is too. And the language of course. Truth be told though, white Americans are Russian and European (like me), meaning we have family in each other's countries no doubt (I know I do). Which should make us more united.

I am glad that you find it a good idea though. Now to only make the crappy politicans agree.

And maloy, thanks for your insight as always.

Yeah, they are quit different. But they can still work together and help each other and the rest of the world. I would really like Russia and USA to be good friends. Same for the rest of the world.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
It will never happen why would America want to waste its time on a technologically inferior country like Russia. The only reason we may ever take an interest in Russia is maybe to take their natural resources like Oil and Gas. Once upon a time maybe Russia might have made a half decent ally but I think everyone knows the glory days are behind them and even the glory days were not that good.

Dont get me wrong I have nothing against Russia but comparing them to America is a bit like comparing a Dolphin to a Turtle. Theres no reason why we can't get along though as long as Russia stops arming Terrorists like Iran.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
It will never happen why would America want to waste its time on a technologically inferior country like Russia. The only reason we may ever take an interest in Russia is maybe to take their natural resources like Oil and Gas. Once upon a time maybe Russia might have made a half decent ally but I think everyone knows the glory days are behind them and even the glory days were not that good.

Dont get me wrong I have nothing against Russia but comparing them to America is a bit like comparing a Dolphin to a Turtle. Theres no reason why we can't get along though as long as Russia stops arming Terrorists like Iran.
Looks like the trolls are out to play again.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
I agree Tone23, but also, Russia and US working together would be good. They will work together to solve their problems and other countries'. Other countries would become their friends. This WOULD cause less fear. US and Russia have alot of resources and money to help other countries in need. They could do that. They could continue to compete, too, because what would the world be without competition? Maybe other countries would follow the example. Maybe the 2 could help other countries settle their differences.

of course the negative side of that arguement would be that the US and Russia would have a bigger monopoly over the fear.

If the WOT was everything it was hyped up to be.. then it may not be a bad idea.... but, the WOT is not all it seems.

And as far as helping solve their own and others problems.. hell, they could do that now... but they dont. Russia has theior own destiny and autonomy and it should be left that way.

If this 'merger' were to happen Russia would become little more than an American puppet anyway and who needs that?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

dude, i am not gonna get this thread of topic with this, but i am gonna answer you, russia is pretty technologically advanced, and in some areas such as space technology and other military aspects are far more advanced teh the US and the west, and is on even footing in other things when compared to the US.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Russia has been undermined alot throughout history. Napoleon undermined Russia. Hitler undermined Russia. In the end both saw how deeply mistaken they war, but it was too late. A huge country like Russia (or China, or India for that matter) should never be undermines. Ideally, the more key world players US can insure as its allies, the better.

But calling Russia technologically inferior is very ignorant and incorrect. In the cold war Russian warships, fighters, and weapons systems were more advanced than those of the US. Russian ICBMs (SS18 to be exact) are by far the most advanced ballistic missiles in the world, and US was nothing short of terrified by them.

US might indeed be richer today, and have better means to advance its technology. Byt still, where US spends billions of dollars an 2 decades to create the F-22 fighter, Russia spends millions to perfect and modify their SAM systems to shoot the F-22's down. Exactly in which way is Russia techonologically inferior?

top topics

join