It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western countries block resolution against Israeli nukes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

West bars Arab bid at IAEA to rap Israel atom "threat"

By Mark Heinrich

VIENNA (Reuters) - Western nations foiled a bid by Arab and Islamic states on Friday to declare Israel's reputed nuclear arsenal a threat that must be removed in a politically charged vote at a U.N. atomic watchdog meeting.

Canada sponsored a 45-29 "no-action" ballot that prevented International Atomic Energy Agency member states from voting on a motion demanding Israel use atomic energy only for peaceful purposes and help set up a Middle East nuclear arms-free zone.
Link

This seriously is getting out of hand. Western countries need to learn that they cannot earn trust in the middle east as long as they favour one side over the other.

Either they have a no-nuke middle east where all countries that try to get WMD are punished or they have no rule what so ever on WMD int he middle east. They simply cannot have it both ways.

[edit on 23-9-2006 by iqonx]

[Mod Edit: Link Formatting. Please review this post. Thank you - Jak]

[edit on 25/9/06 by JAK]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This is interesting.

Yesterday egypt critized the western countries(norway,britain,USA,Canada etc..) for blocking acton against Israel nuclear weapons program and critized it of double standars:

Egypt criticises West's Israel policy

Egypt criticised Western powers on Saturday for blocking efforts to declare Israel's reputed nuclear arsenal a threat.
In a news release on Saturday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit slammed what he described as double standards and discriminatory policies on the part of Western countries.

"It is unacceptable that these countries continue to ignore the danger posed by the Israeli nuclear threat to stability and security in the Middle East," he said.

tvnz.co.nz...

Today they anounce they are starting a nuclear program:

Egyptian minister: Cairo to start building nuclear powerplants

By The Associated Press

CAIRO - Egypt will begin building nuclear power plants soon, a cabinet minister was quoted as saying Sunday, three days after President Hosni Mubarak called on his government to pursue nuclear energy.

Minister of Electricity and Energy Hassan Younes told the state-owned Al Ahram newspaper that within 10 years of the project's launch, Egypt would have an operational nuclear power plant.

Younes said the country's Supreme Council of Energy is due to meet Sunday to endorse the plans.

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The ONLY reason Israel is still here today is because they have nukes to defend themselves.

OF COURSE the anti-Jewish Arab states want those nukes gone... so they can attack and wipe out Israel.

Israel has a right to self defense and having nukes seems the only way they can defend themselves. They haven't used their nukes to 'wipe Iran off the face of the planet' (as Iran would do to Israel if it had nukes). And that's the difference between Israel having nukes and the Islamic countries having them.

Isreali nukes = defense
Islamic nukes = offensive mass destruction and death on a global scale.

Israel's nukes are defensive and they absolutely have a right to defend themselves against their idiot neighbors.

[edit on 9/24/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Western countries need to learn that they cannot earn trust in the middle east as long as they favour one side over the other.

Perhaps middle eastern countries should learn to stick to the terms of the contracts they've agreed too.

Isreal never signed anything that says they can't have nuke weapons.

Iran did.

Thats why Israel is allowed to have nuke weapons, and Iran isn't.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Israel has a right to self defense and having nukes seems the only way they can defend themselves. They haven't used their nukes to 'wipe Iran off the face of the planet' (as Iran would do to Israel if it had nukes). And that's the difference between Israel having nukes and the Islamic countries having them.

Israeli nukes = defense
Islamic nukes = offensive mass destruction and death on a global scale.

Israel's nukes are defensive and they absolutely have a right to defend themselves against their idiot neighbors.

You don't get it huh? If Iran would be looking for total self-destruction they would already have engaged Israel by launching nuclear missiles. Any clue on how many plutonium is missing/stolen from former Soviet States, but also from our Western nuclear facilities? Do you really think no possibility exist for Iran getting secretly in possession of nuclear weapons and then launch them on Israel?

Israel has the right to defend itself = propaganda
Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map = propaganda meant to influence the simpletons among us.

You should consider watching this documentary film:

Peace, Propaganda & The Promised Land

and

We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud

Originally posted by Nygdan
Isreal never signed anything that says they can't have nuke weapons.

Iran did.

Thats why Israel is allowed to have nuke weapons, and Iran isn't.

No that's not the reason why Israel is allowed to possess nuclear weapons. The reason is that they are considered to be Pro American combined with a strategic location in the Middle East. Just read the article in my post on South Korea.

What about South Korea?

[edit on 25-9-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Israel has a right to self defense and having nukes seems the only way they can defend themselves.

Right, because the big bad arab nations with their big and powerful armies are going to come destroy poor little old Israel and its ragtag underfunded, stone throwing army.

What a crock. If Israel is allowed to have nukes then so is Iran, and Egypt for that manner. The Arab nations are well within their rights to demand a Nucleur free M.E. Or are all the Arab nations "Evil Terrorists?"

This hypocracy is the kink of ammo that feeds the NAM movement.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx
Western countries need to learn that they cannot earn trust in the middle east as long as they favour one side over the other.

That's like saying you can't be fair if you trust God over the devil or Churchill or Hitler. It's political correctness gone mad.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

That's like saying you can't be fair if you trust God over the devil or Churchill or Hitler. It's political correctness gone mad.

No, it isn't. Israel is not God, nor is the rest of the Middle East the devil. Honestly, you think Israel is like God?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Israel has nukes? What nukes... Dimona? Isn't that secured by American "black ops" more recently. What nukes... Israel couldn't have nukes could they? Wouldn't they say they had nukes? Heh heh.

Once everyone has deliverable Atomics won't the world be so much a safer place to raise our children in the warm glow of security? Nukes for none or nukes for all? Or just nukes for the good guys du jour?

Laughable, if it were not so dire. Vannunu says truth? Heh heh. Tel Aviv says truth? Uh, yeah about that truth stuff - we manufacture our own it's "special" in-house a patented proprietary blend of lies and incomplete information that when consumed from a FOX "news" dispenser or any paper with "Post" in the name makes one feel better about the world... until you wake up and smell the coffee.

Victor K.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Your kidding me right? Talk about religous fundamentalism..

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
G'day all,

By Egypt declaring that it will pursue nuclear power plants, with the covert possibility of developing their own nukes down the track, they are effectively and publicly thumbing their nose at the western nations and saying, "what are you gonna do about it? threaten us like Iran? Go ahead and watch us".

This action has escalated the mid-east situation and stand-off and dont be surprised if other nations declare their nuclear intentions in the near future and this wave of anti-western sentiment will to continue to flow on.

What I beleive the mid-east is doin is slowly organising themselves for a total-war scenario in the region, and Egypt is daring the US into action against them in the future.

What really pis#$s me off is the fact that North Korea publicly declares they have nukes and keeps yelling "look at me, look at me or else I'll shoot off a rocket at someone", and Pakistan has nukes which although technically is a partner to the US in the war on terror, harbours a very large number of extremists and fanatic schools that brainwash kids for a future generation of jihadists. Yet no one is doin anything to secure their nuclear weapons.

Double standards or what?

I heared Brazil wants nuclear power plants, whats next, Hugo Chavez wants nuclear weapons to threaten the States?

This world is going down the poo-tube faster and faster and its mainly the leaders or so called leaders that are pushing their own agendas instead of concentrating on their own backyards and health, education and welfare. No, screw the people who voted for me, now that Im in congress I shall make the rules and Im the king of the castle, so those dirty rascals in the mid-east have to go.........

C'mon, gimme a break!

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
You don't get it huh? If Iran would be looking for total self-destruction they would already have engaged Israel by launching nuclear missiles.

You don't get it huh? Iran doesn't have nukes yet.

Israel has the right to defend itself = the truth. Every nation has a right to defend itself. To say that Israels right to self defense is just 'propaganda' tells me that you are just anti-Jew.

... propaganda meant to influence the simpletons among us.

Considering the two flawed statements you made that I just commented on ... you might want to be careful about calling others 'simpletons'. Glass houses Mdv2.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   

You don't get it huh? Iran doesn't have nukes yet.

And how do you know? Because Fox news tell you so or do you have your own intelligence unit?

You didn't read the thread I suggested you to read, did you?

Iran is a major market for Russian nuclear goods -- both official deals sanctioned by the government and, conceivably, black market deals without official approval. External procurement operations by nation-states are likely to be well-organized and protected -- Iran's various nuclear agreements with Russia, for example, can provide requisite official entree and cover for contacting potential collaborators inside the nuclear weapons complex.

Now I'd again recommend to read the thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Every nation has a right to defend itself. To say that Israels right to self defense is just 'propaganda' tells me that you are just anti-Jew.

Oh the poor ''anti Jew'' insinuation, are you trying to be the perfect example of ignorance? I am not against Jews, I am not against Muslims, I am not against Zionists, I am against the Zionist government and against their principles.

The Zionist government has the bad habit of claiming that all of their actions are in the name of ''self defense'' Like bombing away thousands of innocent Lebanese, and using Palestinians as living shields. They might be able to sell such crap to Fox, but not to me.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I don't know why western countries support a country that is always capable and willing to attack it's own allies (see USS Liberty) in order to further it's own interests.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I don't know why western countries support a country ...

Or spying on America!! or how it got nukes in the first place!!!..
Maybe all those famous israeli scientists like... erm... and ...erm...

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
You didn't read the thread I suggested you to read, did you?

Wrong.

are you trying to be the perfect example of ignorance?

Another snotty remark.
I could say that right back at you .. but I'm more grown up than that. GROW UP.

I am not against Jews,

You are if you say they don't have a right to self defense. And what exactly did you say ... hmmm ... "Israel has the right to defend itself = propaganda".

That makes you just anti-jew.

Israel having nuclear weapons is self defense. They don't use them to wipe countries off the planet (ala Iran). They keep them as a deterant so that their idiot neighbors won't totally destroy them. Of course Iran's intentions are the exact opposite.

Thats the truth. Deal with it.

[edit on 9/25/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Israel will be able to do anything as long as they serve their purpose (what is speculation). That is how Western countries operate (not just the US and Britain mind you).

And...with all these countries wanting to obtain nukes, I guarantee you, more countries will jump on the band wagon to prevent people from getting them. Brazil will probably be allowed to get nuclear fuel.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

That makes you just anti-jew.

Are these people and this Rabbi also "anti-jew" for not supporting Israel?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
A rather important bit from that Routers story wasn't included in quotes.

But the gathering voted 89-2 for a milder resolution on Israel, also initiated by Arab states, "affirming the urgent need for all states in the Middle East to accept full-scope IAEA safeguards on all their nuclear activities".

(Source is the same story as in the original post)

We don't know the full extent of the resolution that was blocked. There may well have been some issues involved that warrented the blocking. Further;

Israel and its closest ally the United States were the sole "no" votes on the [second/more mild] IAEA safeguards resolution.

I hate it when media sensationalizes one part of a story without providing enough information for people to make informed observations.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

posted by V Kaminski

Israel has nukes? What nukes? Isn't that secured by American "black ops" What nukes . . Israel couldn't have nukes? Wouldn't they say they had nukes? Heh heh . . won't the world be so much a safer place to raise our children in the warm glow of security? Nukes for none or nukes for all? Or just nukes for the good guys du jour?

Laughable, if it were not so dire . . Tel Aviv says truth? . . we manufacture our own "special" in-house a patented proprietary blend of lies and incomplete information that when consumed from a FOX "news" dispensermakes one feel better about the world . . until you wake up and smell the coffee. Victor K. [Edited by Don W]

Right On Mr V K!

The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty of 1968, proposed by the Republic of Ireland, became effective in 1970 when, in accordance with the terms of the treaty, the UK, USSR and USA plus 40 others had ratified. Finland was the first to accept the treaty. Presently, 187 of the 192 nations of the UN have ratified the treaty. Israel has not ratified the treaty. North Korea did but has since withdrawn.

See en.wikipedia.org...

Every estimate I have seen by people who claim to know about these matters say Israel has between a minimum of 20 or 50, up to a maximum of 100 or 300, nuclear weapons. Don’t forget Israel is holding one of its early workers who “gave up” Israel’s secret nuclear weapons facility in the Negev and its program. Does that not make him a political prisoner? The same people say North Korea has material for 2 to 10 bombs. This is not to say NK has any bombs, just that NK has enough U235 to make that many bombs.

I understand that ordinary uranium - U238 - is about 0.3% of the isotope, U235, which is radioactive. The trick is to separate chemically alike U235 from the much more prevelant U238. This process is called “enriching” uranium. Apparently it is of the color yellow, as enriched uranium is often referred to as ‘yellow cake.” For use in power plants, the enrichment needs to be 3% U235. For nuclear bombs, it needs to be 70% or better. And therein lies the rub. The same techniques used to make 3% can be used to make the higher qualtty 70%.

[edit on 9/25/2006 by donwhite]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join