It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we have a problem here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
i think i seriously need a special dictionary with aircraft terminology

a little help would be nice

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Is the word your looking form "wingspan"?

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
fulcrum said it was wing leading-edge or something like that .
If i could only find a dictionary with aircraft terminology and explanations....

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
WingLeading edge sounds like wingspan to me

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
he i do need some help with the dictionary here

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by vorazechul
he i do need some help with the dictionary here

I can:

Link!!!

That should help?

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:44 PM
link   
What are you trying to express? Describe what you can't find the word for.

**drunk**

A wing's leading edge is the front edge of the wing looking from the nose of the plane back.

The wingspan is the wingtip-to-wingtip distance across the plane (including the width of the fuselage).

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I studied Aeronautical engineering (for half a year
)
What are you looking for?

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I found a sweet online aerospace dictionary... unfortunately it deals mainly with space-based stuff. No mention of LERXes or laminar flow anywhere.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
it 's the edge that starts from the nose and grows to become the wing it self .
It's that starting edge under the sign " PCK "MiG" ".
Not a part of the wing it self but a smoothness that fuses the wing with the body .
The SU -27 has it too (it's cannon is built in it)

i think i also know what it's for...it creates a turbulent airflow over the wing in high angles of attack.That prevents the loss of
lifting force even in the stunning acts that su-27 can perform.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i actually need a diction that describes the aviation terms it has

with picters would be nice

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   

i actually need a diction that describes the aviation terms it has

with picters would be nice

Best way to do this is to find a detailed and good 3 plan view..

Or cutaway

That has the all parts named..

And as we know these part names are same to all aircrafts..

BAC TSR2 Cutaway Drawing!!!

Hope that helps some?

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I think it's called the camber.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   
it was helpfull a lots of new words in there
thanx fulcrum but this BAC TSR 2 doesn't have the leading edge infront of the wing that i was describing

how could i say thet it's called camber when i cann't see it on a pic

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 11:06 PM
link   
in a few houers i will be able to give you a pic where i am shoing it to you( the part of the plane that we are talking about)

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   

it 's the edge that starts from the nose and grows to become the wing it self .
It's that starting edge under the sign " PCK "MiG" ".
Not a part of the wing it self but a smoothness that fuses the wing with the body .
The SU -27 has it too (it's cannon is built in it)

i think i also know what it's for...it creates a turbulent airflow over the wing in high angles of attack.That prevents the loss of
lifting force even in the stunning acts that su-27 can perform.

ERRRR! Wrong answer.

The wing leading edge is as I defined it in my previous post. It's existence is due to the fact that the wing is a 3 dimensional body...i.e. it has depth and does not come to an infinitesimal point when transitioning from top of wing to bottom of wing. It is, as stated before, the "front edge" of the wing. It runs from the point of intersection with the fuselage all the way to the wing-tip.

The conjoining line of the wing and fuselage is just simply that, where you transfer from wing surface to fuselage surface. The distance from leading edge to trailing edge of this conjoining line is called the "wing root" or "root chord". It serves no special purpose, though it does affect the aerodynamics of the wing, and special attention can be paid to this area to increase the performance of the wing. But the measure itself is just that, a measure of the wing depth at the point of transition.

[Edited on 6-11-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
I think it's called the camber.

The camber of a wing is the measure of the arc (if you will) of the wing when a cross-sectional view is taken vertically.

Here's a crude little doo-hickey I made to illustrate.

Note the arc, or bow, in the wing when viewed from say the wing-tip. This is camber.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   

you want to know what the areas are thats circled and what its puprose is. right.

Fulcrum is correct about them being called Leading edge root extensions(LERX). but as for their purpose, when you look at the plane it looks like it is all one peice, the wings don't look like it was added on as an afterthought, like most american planes. it does wonders in terms of aerodynamics, plus it make the plane look sexy. Ok now we will get technical, (if you don't understand something just ask) The LERX's is different for everyplane. those LERX's generate powerfull Vortices across the upper surfaces of the wing(think of vortices as suction) which prevents spanwise migration of boundary layer air(the best way to describe boundary layer air, is if you take your hand and run it through a pool of water you see those swirls that form behind your hand, same thing happens in the air, swirling air is bad, cause you can't get lift from it and the engines have a tough time trying to breathe it). LERX is also the key to the Cobra manuver, notice how the engine inlets are set below and behind the LERX's this is so that when the MIG pulls up for the sharp Angles of Attack needed for the Cobra or other advanced dogfight manuvers the LERX deflects air into the inlet so that the engines can still breathe. were as most american planes would flame out and have to restart the engines

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Okay, now I understand. Yes, these were formally (before some one decided they need to think up yet another term) referred to as strakes. Now LERXs.

Yes wing leading edge extensions. And this just happens to be one of the things you can "do to the root chord" to increase the wing performance...as I stated in my previous post. It shifts the aerodynamic center of the wing and the mean geometric chord of the wing.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Pearly you couldn't have made it clearer to me .
I wasn't so sure but now that I have a description of it's purpose I can clearly say that LERX is the term i was searching for .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join