It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Judge Halts Warrantless Wiretapping by NSA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
A US federal judge halted warrantless wiretapping that the NSA has been doing under the Terrorist Surveilance Program. This program allowed the NSA to wiretap anybody it wanted to for any reason it wanted to. The judge stated President Bush "overstepped his authority when authorizing the unconstitutional program.

news.yahoo.com
CHICAGO (AFP) - A US judge halted the warrantless wiretapping program by the National Security Agency and ruled that President George W. Bush overstepped his authority when authorizing the unconstitutional program.

Federal Judge Anna Diggs Taylor ordered an injunction barring the Terrorist Surveillance Program, which has been used to monitor millions of US citizens.

"It was never the intent of the (Constitutional) framers to give the President such unfettered control, particularly when his actions blatantly disregard the parameters clearly enumerated in the Bill of Rights," Taylor wrote in a 44-page opinion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's about time this was stopped. I don't see any reason why they can't get warrants from a judge and still do a good job.

It still bewilders me how the president could have gotten this program passed that so blatantly diregards the rights of every citizen.

[edit on 17/8/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
thank god, this judge is my hero for the time being. Its about time it came to a halt. The fact is there is no reason they cant just get a warrant first.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I just hope they'll listen to him... I believe they'll try to do it even if he say stop it. Bush control the majority of the executive people after all. But this guy have guts and he's great! He's a REAL patriot.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I don't think this will make any difference, but it's great to see people standing up to the administration when what they're doing is obviously wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yes is nice to see judges taking sides with the We the people, but it will no last we all know is going all the way to the supreme court.

And we all know who is in there, she probably just washed her hands and deliver the issue to higher up in the ladder.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is the part that gets me.

The government argued that the program is well within the president's authority, but said proving that would require revealing state secrets.

link

The feds are saying, "You'll just have to take our word for it that its ok." That's like the fox telling the farmer that its ok for the farmer to let him watch the hen house, but to prove it, the farmer will have to give him a chicken for dinner.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
like the nsa REALLY CARES !

nice patriotic headline for some folks tho , lol .

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This recent ruling will not be immediate in its’ effect…. Motions will be heard along with appeals (more than likely into the next year), eventually the US SP may or may not hear the case.

Until then...business as usual.

mg

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
whoot!
small victory for privacy advocates everywhere!
let's hope this goes thorugh all the way, stranger things have been known to happen, bush's second term in office for example...

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Bush Vows To Fight Warentless Taping Ruling

WASHINGTON, Aug. 18 — President Bush said today that he is confident that a federal court ruling against his administration’s electronic surveillance program will be overturned, and he described those who hailed the ruling as naïve....

Here's another FACT that Bush is against us and the constitution.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Bush Vows To Fight Warentless Taping Ruling

WASHINGTON, Aug. 18 — President Bush said today that he is confident that a federal court ruling against his administration’s electronic surveillance program will be overturned, and he described those who hailed the ruling as naïve....

Here's another FACT that Bush is against us and the constitution.

If this goes to th Supreme Court, and they are suppose to be the experts on interperting the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and and everything to do with the laws in this country and the rights US citizens have, I just can't see how they can uphold this program and say that it is legal.

The founding fathers, and the authors of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights, must be rolling over in their graves right now. This violates the IV Ammendment in the Bill of Rights:

The Bill of Rights

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

If phones and the types of communications that are here today were around back then, I'm sure they would have been included in this amendment. This is the exact kind of thing, (I know, along with a bunch of other things), that caused the American Revolution.

Once everybody gets used to the fact that the NSA might be listening to anybody they want to, looking for terrorists, how long til they just let any law enforcement departments tap anybodies phone, maybe even yours because you work with somebody or are friends with somebody who is under suspicion of breaking the law.

[edit on 18/8/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
You know, now that this AWESOME judge has ruled that "Herr Bush" and his "SS" soldiers cant wiretap and do all the fun stuff they have been doing, something is going to happen, something big, something that will send a ripple through our society. Think about it. "King George" wont have his toys to play with. What happens when you take a toddler's toys away? They throw a tantrum and retaliate.

new topics

top topics

join