It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK to spend £6M repairing IDF damage in Lebanon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
OK so the job needs doing to avert a humanitarian crisis but why UK taxpayers should pay to clear up IDF UXO's and repair infrastrcture that the IDF so wantonly destroyed is beyond me.

The UK is to contribute a further £6m towards relief efforts in Lebanon, International Development Secretary Hilary Benn has said.
*snip*

"And that's why Britain is today doubling its contribution to the humanitarian relief effort, an additional £6m, about half of that is going towards emergency bridging because we need to get the roads opened up.

"We need to clear the unexploded ordinance and we need to lift the blockade so that supplies can get to the coastal ports and so the economy of the Lebanon can get moving again

news.bbc.co.uk...

In a further BBC radio interview (no link) Mr Benn indicated that the other half of the £6m would be spent on removing the UXO's that litter Southern Lebanon particularly the artillery shells and CBU's.

Should Israel be paying to put right the mess it's created?

Should Britain (and others) recover this cost from Israel via import duties etc?

[edit on 15/8/2006 by Strangerous]

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Yes Israel should pay some for the damage they have done. Of course, it depends if the US gives Israel extra allowance this year or not.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
They didn't the first time and they will not this time either. However, they make sure they get paid for anything thats happened to them thats for sure. They just had the United States auction off Iranian antiquities that were on loan to an American University and the government siezed the stuff and auctioned it off to give reparations to Israelis hurt by bomb blasts in Israel by Palestinians.

Hundreds of Palestinians and lebanese made homeless by israeli bombs and they get zip. Everyone covers for them so why should they.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
If the Israeli Govt. refuse to pay reparations for damage caused, would that leave the option open for Lebanese citizens to seize Israeli goods/property as payment in-lieu?

This has happened before with a civil legal class-action case resulting in the seizure of an El Al airliner

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The Saudis are claiming a loss of about $14Billion in investments and property / infrastructure damage in Lebanon. Seems a lot of people lost out.
Now, after Iraq was invaded, the Iraqis were made to pay reparations to big corporate interests who lost out on investments when Kuwait was invaded. I believe this was backed up by the UN.
If that is indeed the case then there ought to be another similar UN resolution to make Israel pay for all the damage to infrastructure which was, after all, illegal according to international law.

Don't anyone go holding their breath though waiting for such an edict to emerge. even if it did the US taxpayers would stump up most of it

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
They just had the United States auction off Iranian antiquities that were on loan to an American University and the government siezed the stuff and auctioned it off to give reparations to Israelis hurt by bomb blasts in Israel by Palestinians.

That's an outrage! Just found an article on what may as well be theft:

U.S. District Court Judge Blanche Manning's ruling means a group of people injured by a 1997 bombing in Israel can seize the tablets, originally from Persepolis, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Asefi asserted that Iran will make efforts to prevent the order from being implemented.

“We have contacted the University of Chicago in this regard, and the university has rejected the order,” he added.

The tablets were discovered by University of Chicago archaeologists in the 1930s and are legally the property of the National Museum of Iran and Iran’s Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization. The university's Oriental Institute had been returning them to Iran in small batches.

What an absurd principle, but an unsurprising one judging by the west's eurocentric view of ancient history and virtually complete ignorance of eastern history and culture.

Sorry, got annoyed and went off thread. Anyway, 6 million pounds isn't really that much is it? I mean, in terms of rebuilding flats and houses, as well as roads, power stations, etc. It looks as thought it's more of a gesture, but at least it's a noble gesture.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
That £6M does not sit well with me.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with supplying aid to those who need it, but when Blair gave the green light for the US to supply bombs via Britain, to Israel that added to the destruction, I get a bit angry.
Hey, it's not like Blair is paying personally is it? It's only taxpayers money after all

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
What world are you people living in here? Countries that win wars shouldn't have to pay to rebuild the country they beat. Lebanon is lucky to even have their country intact at all or be given the right to "govern" it now anyway after the debacle they caused by letting hezbollah run rampant for the past decade. All this liberalism has to stop. Do you think the romans paid the germanic tribes so they could rebuild after they sacked them? No, they killed everyone in power and made it part of their empire which is what Israel should have done to Lebanon. Spoils of war my friends, spoils of war...Next time maybe Lebanon should think about the consequences before they allow a known terror group to operate with impunity within their country.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Escrotumus
What world are you people living in here? Countries that win wars shouldn't have to pay to rebuild the country they beat.

Erm, living in a world in which we're aware of the consequences of screwing places up after defeating them (Germany after WWI is a good example).

Do you think the romans paid the germanic tribes so they could rebuild after they sacked them? No, they killed everyone in power and made it part of their empire

Yep, thats exactly how the Romans did it. Of course they needed the help of their German cavalry..... and their German allies.... and their archers from the East. Oh.... and wait.... they never even conquered Germany. They had to make the border of the Empire on the Rhine.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Yep, thats exactly how the Romans did it. Of course they needed the help of their German cavalry..... and their German allies.... and their archers from the East. Oh.... and wait.... they never even conquered Germany. They had to make the border of the Empire on the Rhine.

Damn those hollywood movies! Thanks for the history lesson
Anyway you get my point. It's madness to think that a victorious country should have to pay to rebuild the country they just sacked if they aren't going to keep it for themselves. I suppose if it is an unjustified attack like the US invading Iraq that money should be spent to rebuild, but since Lebanon basically asked for this then no, not a dime should be spent by western countries to help rebuild.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You seem to be confused between hezbollah bunkers (which no-one is paying to rebuild) and Lebanese bridges, power stations etc which Israel destroyed while aiming at hezbollah - allegedly.

Also you seem to be ignoring the fact that half the money will be spent defusing US ordnance dropped by the IDF.

I still don't see why anyone (apart from USrael) should be paying for this!

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

What world are you people living in here? Countries that win wars shouldn't have to pay to rebuild the country they beat. Lebanon is lucky to even have their country intact at all or be given the right to "govern" it now anyway after the debacle they caused by letting hezbollah run rampant for the past decade. All this liberalism has to stop. Do you think the romans paid the germanic tribes so they could rebuild after they sacked them? No, they killed everyone in power and made it part of their empire which is what Israel should have done to Lebanon. Spoils of war my friends, spoils of war...Next time maybe Lebanon should think about the consequences before they allow a known terror group to operate with impunity within their country.

Thats a lovely thought about the germanic tribes of yesteryear but in the 20th Century if you remember which was only a few years ago, we paid to rebuild Japan after we bombed it and I'm sure we did in Germany too, as well as the german government having to pay reparations to the Jews of the holocaust. Too bad your germanic tribes anti-liberalism theory doesn't apply to those people huh?
Just the innocent Lebanese civilians and Lebanese government.

Just remember if it wasn't for the fact that the Jews were fresh from WWII when they attacked the British in Palestine blowing up the King David Hotel, they blew up the ship Patria carrying 1700 Jews immigrating, then assasinated British government officials in Cairo as well , they could have been slammed to kingdom come themselves before they even got started. Luckily they had sympathy on their side.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yeah yeah pie, we all know you hate jews and Israel. As far as rebuilding Japan and Germany is concerned, I'm pretty sure that the reason we helped them rebuild is to foster the growth of democracy in two strategically important areas with many resources and extemely talented people and culture which in turn greatly added to our country. I think it was either that or watch them fall to communism. Rebuilding Lebanon does nobody any good as a) they have nothing to offer us and b) they will 100% fall right back into their old ways again once they are rebuilt. I for one do not want my tax money going to help rebuild some 3rd world country that is just going to turn against me for helping them out by launching missiles and terrorist attacks at western interests. Time to pay the piper for their sins.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Yeah yeah pie, we all know you hate jews and Israel. As far as rebuilding Japan and Germany is concerned, I'm pretty sure that the reason we helped them rebuild is to foster the growth of democracy in two strategically important areas with many resources and extemely talented people and culture which in turn greatly added to our country. I think it was either that or watch them fall to communism. Rebuilding Lebanon does nobody any good as a) they have nothing to offer us and b) they will 100% fall right back into their old ways again once they are rebuilt. I for one do not want my tax money going to help rebuild some 3rd world country that is just going to turn against me for helping them out by launching missiles and terrorist attacks at western interests. Time to pay the piper for their sins.

I really don't care how I'm percieved if you see it as hatred for jews..don't care. I see your love for arabs so if its ok to hate arabs/muslims in this country then it should be ok to hate Israel as well. If you choose to place Israel on a pedestal go right ahead. I will never do so unless they do something to deserve that status. My days as a supporter of Israel are gone. I don't support racists and murderers of innocent people, nor do i support apartheid entities.

LOL what does Israel have to offer besides making us more enemies? I don't want my tax money going to israel for weapons or to build a house for some russian that wants to live in israel, while people here are homeless, yet ...whoops there it goes, and I know there are lots of others who feel the same way. They invest a few million in politicians and assure their investment comes back 1000 fold. Not a bad deal.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Please, if you think that Israel is the reason that politics in America are so corrupt these days then you really are choosing to believe in conspiracy theories. Politicians here were corrupt long before Israel was around. Personally I have no love for anyone in that area of the world, but i can guarantee you that if I have to choose sides then I am choosing the side of the one true democracy there that is most likely to be on our side and share our interests. The arabs in that part of the world are so mired in religious beliefs and hocus pocus that they are literally 500 years behind western culture in every way. We are in a war of cultures here and its us vs them. When the rubber hits the road whose side will you be on? I pray you choose wisely.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I've yet to see TPM make one anti-semitic comment on this board.
He sure doesn't appear to be a fan of Israel, though apparently he was at one point.

I'm in the same boat, I was once a knee-jerk supporter of Israel until I decided to look into the history of the region a little bit further. Israel is a western colony imposed on the Mideast by force of arms - want to know why people in the Mideast hate us so much? Hint - it's not because of our "freedom"...

As for the "anti-semitism" claims - yeah there are real anti-semites out there. Some of them no doubt hate Israel. That does not mean all criticism of Israel is based in anti-semitism. My feelings about the state of Israel, and the US's one way alliance with it (we give them lots of money and weapons, which they use to earn us new enemies), have absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about the Jews as a people, which are generally rather positive.

IMHO antisemitism in this context is simply a cheap name calling tactic Israel's supporters use when they run out of arguments. Especially amusing since for most of these people anti-semitism is bad, wheras blind hatred of Arabs and Muslims is a positive virtue.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well, if Israel pays the bill, that's just more money out of my pocket. I'm getting quite disgusted with other countries spending my money in ways I don't approve, considering the fact that I support Lebanon.

On another note, that's a generous offer from the UK.

[edit on 16-8-2006 by alpha_omega]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Anti semitic remarks are a broad stroke. Being anti semitic doesn't necessarily mean he hates jews or Israel as a race or for their culture. Another meaning of anti-semitic means a strong dislike for Jews and Israeli politics. It's pretty evident to me and everyone else that in this perspective he is anti-semitic based on his comments and his little 'ban israeli goods' signature. Please don't put words in my mouth when you infer that I was calling him a racist. If I meant to call him a racist then that's what I would have said.

[edit on 8/16/2006 by Escrotumus]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Anti semitic remarks are a broad stroke. Being anti semitic doesn't necessarily mean he hates jews or Israel as a culture, but hates them for their politics. It's pretty evident to me and everyone else that in this perspective he is anti-semitic based on his comments and his little 'ban israeli goods' signature. Please don't put words in my mouth when you infer that I meant he was racist, because if I meant to say that, then that's what I would have said.

Hey, I'll admit, I hate Israel. Infact, I despise them. Is it because they're Jewish? No.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Hey, I'll admit, I hate Israel. Infact, I despise them. Is it because they're Jewish? No.

Then you too are an anti-semite. Not a slam, just a literal fact based on known criteria.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join