It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ken Lay's death is BS!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
When I first read the news report this a.m. I thought the same thing. It's hard not to flirt with the idea that the story of his death is BS.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I blame the confusion of when he died on shoddy journalism. Or it's been deliberately being put out as disinformation. Early news reports don't actually tell you which day he died, but... according to one blogger:

Apparently this happened yesterday, and they have kept it under wraps this long.

www.progressiveu.org/190000-key-lay-of-enron-dead-of-heart-attack

Guess the lawyers will be scrambling to protect the will from his fines and restitution he was ordered to pay.

According to a statement from the Pitkin County Sheriff's Office, deputies and an ambulance had been sent to Lay's Old Snowmass home at 1:41 a.m. for a medical emergency. Lay was then transported to Aspen Valley Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 3:11 a.m. A coroner's autopsy is pending.

Pat Worcester, executive assistant to CEO at Aspen Valley Hospital, said the hospital would release a statement later.

Skilling told The Associated Press that he was aware of Lay's death, but declined further comment.

Prosecutors in Lay's trial declined comment today, both on his unexpected death and what may become of the government's effort to seek a $43.5 million judgment from Lay that they say he pocketed as part of the conspiracy.

Houston Chronical

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Meanwhile, across the pond the Brits are involved in this little Enron roundup too:

Britain urged to halt extradition of Enron bankers

Prime Minister Tony Blair said he has asked British officials to help seek bail for three bankers who are to be extradited to the United States to face Enron-related fraud charges.

However, Blair denied that a treaty being used to pursue the men was unfair to Britain as leading businessmen and opposition lawmakers called on the government to prevent their deportation altogether.

David Bermingham, Gary Mulgrew and Giles Darby — former executives at Greenwich NatWest, a unit of Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC — have become well known in Britain because of the controversial treaty with the United States that has been used to pursue their extradition.

Critics claim that the 2003 treaty — purportedly aimed at speeding up the process of bringing suspected terrorists to justice — is not reciprocal because the U.S. has yet to ratify it amid opposition from Congress. British officials still must meet a higher burden of evidence when seeking to extradite suspects from the United States.

“It is not actually correct to say that the United States is being given preferential treatment,” Blair told the House of Commons.

Bermingham, Mulgrew and Darby deny any criminal conduct and have always insisted that if there is a case against them it should be tried in Britain because that is where the alleged offenses took place.

They are currently in talks with U.S. officials about returning to Britain on bail to prepare for their case. Mark Spragg, the men’s lawyer, said that obtaining bail in the United States would be of no help.

“To be bailed in Houston amounts to detention in a larger prison with prettier views,” Spragg said.

The men, all British citizens, were charged in the United States in 2002 with bilking National Westminster Bank of 4 million pounds ($7.3 million) and each face seven counts of wire fraud. They claim U.S. prosecutors have pursued them merely to bolster their cases against other Enron defendants.

source (about 2/3's down the page)

How many Enron defendants are left to go on trial?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Very suspicious indeed ... anyone in the area can you check the flight logs of departures for the week in question from the local airports?

He could well hide in the U.S. as long as he remains out of public sight, because once the public believes he is dead, they will stop looking for him and eventually forget what he looks like.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This man was once a very powerful and respected figure. Had connections that would have pardoned him somewhere down the line in two years, but I don't think he could stand to sit in a jail cell. He was going to have to see jail time for sure, but to be so high, then knocked so low, it had to be horrific. People said he was a religious man since 1994, gave to charities (probably some of the money he felt guilty stealing). He was no longer repected, admired. To a man like that, it had to hurt.
So he probably had the whole family over for July 4th weekend, watched a good firework show, had a couple of drinks, and decided it was over. Tuesday night, took a hand full of pills, wednesday morning he was gone. I doubt an autopsy will be done, if so they will never reveal he took or did something to himself. I think killing oneself is illegal, so he would have to add that to his other charges.
I am sure his life insurance policy will take care of his family and the money he sent to the Camine Islands made off those poor people left with nothing.
Question is, did he commit suicide or die peacefully in his sleep.
I guess what goes around, comes around. He paid his debt to society.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Heart attack, I dont think so, siucide possible, fleeing the country, paid of the sheriiff's department for the getaway, most likely. Too coincidental of the timing, sorry. With the government wanting a payback of the money and the upcoming sentencing, he fled.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Lay had been appointed by GWB to some energy policy group prior to him becoming President. He was also, I think, part of the energy policy group tied into the office of Dick Cheney, who steadfastly refuses to make known any details or documents.
I bet there have been shredders working overtime

Basically, just another thief. Same as Skilling. He too apparently found god and goes to church. Bless 'em

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
There is a possibility of murder. He is going to jail and lost everything he has to loose. There would be nothing from stopping his naming of names (and possibly something to gain), and we've some very important elections coming up. Maybe someone didn't want any surprises come this November.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Does anyone remember exactly how Milosevic died? If I remmeber correctly, he was given a prescription cocktail that lead to heart failure. What are the chances of this being what happened to Lay?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I don't have a quote, but I just heard over ABC news (radio) that he apparently had a history of heart problems. This is not a one line post.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Lay had been appointed by GWB to some energy policy group prior to him becoming President. He was also, I think, part of the energy policy group tied into the office of Dick Cheney

I just watched a documentary last night, coincidentally enough, about the Enron scandal, that I downloaded on p2p awhile back. He and Enron definitely had ties to the Bushes, according to that documentary.

Based on the thoroughly despicable actions of the Enron leaders, I would not be surprised in the least if Lay were to pull a disappearing act. Based on the lifestyle he was leading, though, I could totally see him wussing out and killing himself, since he knew he stood a good chance of prison time for his actions. I really hope he didn't escape, though; I cannot bear the thought of him walking when so many people got screwed of their jobs and their pensions. If he did get away, I hope they catch him, and that he doesn't cower in the bahamas like that guy from Bre-X.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Mr Lay's death has a lot of suspicion around it and we need more details of this,
this has hardly been mentioned on the news here in england despite the fact that some of our residents are to be exdritited to usa for the trial.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
~~

Ken Lay was 64 years old, he also knew he had a history of heart problems,

even though Lay was a big contributer to the Bush candidancy & reelection,
Lay was /is a small potatoes kinda guy as far as TPTB going thru elaborate
and convoluted things; like faking his death!

the real crime (to my sensibilities)
is the fact that this fat-cat, CEO elite, was able to hire a bevy of lawyers,
and get convicted of Fraud & Conspiracy back in May 2006....

and this 'white collar criminal'
was allowed to continue Living Large
(mostly on his ill-gotten gains from the workers & investors of ENRON)

until his Sentencing Phase scheduled for ....Get This .....
->> SEPTEMBER 11TH, 2006 !!!

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

He had a full 4 months of freedom after being convicted!!
(that sure wouldn't happen if i /you were found guilty for something
as mundane as spitting on the sidewalk....WE would of been whisked
away to a chain-gang sentence...IMMEDIATELY!!! )

Or maybe he just knew too much. If he was smart, he would have just quietly went to prison and pulled a G. Gordon Liddy. I bet he would still be alive today.

I have been reading this forum way too much! I guess thoughts like this officially makes me a conspiracy nut. I better get some aluminum foil for my hat.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I was talking about this with my dad earlier today and he said something interesting.
He said that he thought that someone else did Lay in to keep him quiet.
I hadn't even considered that until he said it.
But it would make sense, especially if Lay had dirt on Cheney and some of the other gov't bigwigs.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

But it would make sense, especially if Lay had dirt on Cheney and some of the other gov't bigwigs.

If Lay had the dirt, IMO it would have come out before he was convicted in a plea bargain.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I wouldn't be so sure of that.
If he even considered to plea that information, they'd have done him right there on the steps of the courthouse.
He must've opened his mouth to someone in the eventuallity of his sentencing.

Or, he just died of a heart attack.
Plain and simple.

I guess we'll never know.

(or maybe he's another boy from brazil...)

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I love conspiracies but the more I visit ATS the more I believe that 99% of conspiracies are just nonsense created by people with a lot of imagination and apparently way too much free time on their hands. This type of thread is a prefect example. No one has any real information or evidence but each post in this thread makes the conspiracy a little bit larger. It starts off with: lets see the body, then escalates to murders, suicides, paying off doctors and the sheriffs department. It is almost like watching the conspiracy version of the telephone game. It is sort of fascinating to me really. I think some university should conduct research into conspiracies threads and the posters on ATS.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I dont know faking your death is not even close to a easy task when your in the public eye let alone waiting for a jail sentance. Once you get insurance companies (Im sure Ken Lay had life insurance) its nearly impossible.

They aint paying out without the body and they will go to great lengths to make sure their was no fraud involved.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Everything is a conspiracy!
(except the things that aren't!)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join