It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court: Bush Administration Has Committed War Crimes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   

What has been largely missed is the clear point that the Supreme Court has now declared that for the past five years, Bush and his gang of war-mongers, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State and former National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, former Attorney General Donald Rumsfeld and current Attorney General and former White House Chief Counsel Alberto Gonzales, and many others in the administration, have been guilty of violating the Third Convention on treatment of prisoners of war. They are also, therefore, in violation of federal law, which back in 1996 adopted that convention as part of the U.S. criminal code.

In other words, the whole top administration, from Commander in Chief George W. Bush on down, is guilty of war crimes. The punishment for committing war crimes ranges from a lengthy jail sentence to, in the event the crimes in question caused the death of any prisoners being held, to death. And there have been many deaths among those who have been held and tortured on orders of the administration-most recently the three suicides at Guantanamo, which included on man who had only three days earlier been targeted for release (but who never learned this because government's secrecy and tight security prevented his attorneys at the Center for Constitutional Rights from getting the news to him).

Interestingly, Gonzales actually warned Bush about this possibility. In a memo to the president, written on January 25, 2002 when he was still White House counsel, Gonzales warned prophetically that the U.S. adoption of the Third Geneva Convention as a part of the U.S. criminal code in 1996 made violation of the convention a "war crime," which he said was defined as "any grave breach" of the Third Convention such as "outrages against personal dignity."

So what happens now? Is this administration untouchable? I think so.
I cant for the life of me remember any other administration with this batting record.
Does this just blow away? Do we ignore it?
I think if we ignore everything this admin does, it speaks volumes of what a dumb nation we are.

So, what's next? Nothing? Maybe a little nuclear battle or a terrorist attack would make us forget this, huh?

LINK

[edit on 4-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

former Attorney General Donald Rumsfeld

I was unaware that Donald Rumsfeld was ever Attorney General.

You learn something new every day.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Yet another misleading and false title based upon a personal piece which is taken up and touted as fact by some, ah, why must these things keep occurring?

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well it was in the LA Times apparently...

fairuse.100webcustomers.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yet another misleading and false title based upon a personal piece which is taken up and touted as fact by some, ah, why must these things keep occurring?
Nobody likes to hear the truth. This is misleading ? It is only misleading if you dont want to accept some facts...misleading if you dont want to come to grips with reality.
Bush & Co. mislead the public and the world. Dont shoot the messenger with your 2 liners. It is not my fault, you see. I am just an American trying to survive this entire mess....Just think how others feel directly in the front lines of battle.
The Supreme Court justices are speaking and "seeing" for the people. They know this is no regular administration and they need to be stopped.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This comes as a suprise to me.

I just hope this actualy leads to something now... like say an impeachment procedure or better yet ....a revolution.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Xy,

I posted this, highly controversial as it is (only because some cannot accept it) so you could see just how far this administration has gone, without any form of punishment.
I also want to add that i dont foresee anything to come out of this observation by the justices. Life will continue to lead us down that dark path and i do not believe anything will ever be done to stop them.

More pathetic than the story itself, is the fact that WE THE PEOPLE allow it to go on.
Extremely sad. :shk:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The Administration should be tried for War crimes. I say it is about time. Ever since the "shock and awe" of Bagdad, the train of abuses have been going on. And now, it is being taken out on the Iraqi citizens.

It leaves one to wonder who is actually doing the commanding over there anyway?

Thanks to the Supreme Courts' ruling on Rasul v. Bush (2004) and Hamdan v. Rumsfeld (2006), finally the shell is starting to crack. With a little bit more movement, the yolk will begin to spill out on the floor.

And if the International Criminal Courts have their way, it will be curtains.

[edit on 5-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
But who'll be willing to try them in an international court? And would the administration allow it?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Please DG spare me the truth routine I’ve been through it many times, now the real truth remains that the Supreme Court said no such thing, anything more is just wishful thinking on the part of those who detest this administration. And yes, nothing will come of this, thankfully.

By the way we do not recognize the ICC and we would never let them try any US soldier or US official, they have no authority over US persons, look it up there’s a law specifically for that.

[edit on 5-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The supreme court did say that they were in violation of the treatment of POWs in accordance with the GC. It, of course, would require another hearing to decide the their guilt, but they were in violation.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The posted article assumes the following:

"many others in the administration, have been guilty of violating the Third Convention on treatment of prisoners of war."

meaning the assumption is that the individuals at Guantanamo and possibly elsewhere are in fact prisoners of war, which may or may not be the case.

Now, I'd post a whole bunch of links but a simple search will provide numerous leads. It appears the question which has arisen is one of just how to treat the "terrorist" which is captured, who represents no country, who is not in uniform, etc. From my understanding the "terrorist" is not addressed by the Geneva Convention.

www.aei.org...

And so, the argument as to "war crimes" committed by the current U.S. administration may or may not be valid. My thought is that the recent Supreme Court ruling assured that the issue will go to the legislative branch of government for clarification, possibly resulting in new legislation to address the problem.

I know there are many who wish to destroy President Bush and others in the current administration, however, I do not think this is the key to open the door to their demise.

One more thought, and that is the Presidential pardon, which may be applicable should the situation present itself, except under conditions of impeachment.

jurist.law.pitt.edu...

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Whoops the Republican denial and dissinformation machine will be working overtime on spinning this into another anti-partisan type rederick attack. Funny the GOP or as I like to call them the Masters of Lies and Deception are crying cause once again people are catching them at their best being the Worst in US History. So tell me again Rep's how Nazi brutality used against supposed "prisioners" is Good for everyone. Cmon I need a good dose of Master Bush and his stormtrooping adminstrations tyranical idea of Right and Wrong. I cant believe Dubya and I are both Christians. Talk about other ends of the table. When ole George slipped up and said Crusades in speechs a while back boy was he letting out a big Freudian slip. What a Dict.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
But who'll be willing to try them in an international court? And would the administration allow it?

Good question, the answer to which is Nobody and No. One of George's first acts as president was to withdraw the US from the Hauge International Court, then shortly after that he 'unsigns' the War Crimes Treaty.Bush Unsigns War Crimes Treaty
The man is above the law, above any accountibility, and has absolutely no recourse to the law, domestic or otherwise.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Twitchy, that is the gospel truth- so you see, nothing will come of this because these war crimes can be committed by our government-Its gone above the law (covering their butts) so most of you are correct.

WestPoint, arent they smart? They change the laws and then commit the crime.
They are to be admired.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
DG, you are angry that the US does not recognize the ICC? Aren’t you against all that one world government mumbo jumbo? Anyway, they have not committed any crimes, just because you think they have, does not mean its true. I don’t believe the US Supreme Court has ever ruled that Bush has committed any War Crimes, so why do you keep insisting otherwise?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
West, dang it- i lost my brilliant reply to you.

In any case, dont shoot the messenger, and we all know, had this administration not changed the "rules of the game" they'd be in deep doo doo.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
west points just upset cause germany is out of the cup.

im not sure where you stand, you said "thankfully" the bush administration is not going to be held acountable. how do you figure? are you down with abusing the defenceless? you like hitting those that cant hit back? you sound like a hell of a guy, that might be confused about the idea of a fair fight.

the soldiers did not start any wars, they should not be punished and made to feel humiliated because of some political agenda, Right?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose
west points just upset cause germany is out of the cup.

Nah, I was with the US then with Portugal and unfortunately both those teams got eliminated, and you know damn well I’ not rooting for France. But enough about that.

Originally posted by tom goose
im not sure where you stand, you said "thankfully" the bush administration is not going to be held acountable. how do you figure?

Held accountable for what? The Supreme Court and Congress for that matter have not said that they need to be held accountable for anything so what is everyone talking about?

I said thankfully because I am glad that there are ways in which we can deal with elected officials who have been determined to have broken the law without resorting to a hyped up angry mob with pitchforks.

And no I don't hit defenseless people, nor do I think our soldiers deserve nothing less than our full support, admiration, awareness, and rights when they go to war.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
the article was only pointing out that the supreme court recognizes any abuses of the geneva thingy will brought before them. It is against american law to abuse the geneva thingy. btw, didn't i read something about this administration simply erasing sections of the protocols that have been abused by the US. I forgot if i read it hear but is that possible? Man i love bush, he is such a role model, from now on i'm gunna live like a shrub... i mean bush. Monkey see.... monkey do, hehe.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join