It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tower of Babel

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2002 @ 07:37 PM
link   
So FM, what are you going to do when our Father catches *you*?...

posted on Oct, 31 2002 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I used to vow when I was an atheist that if there was a god I'd war against him with satan, so THAT's what I'd do

However that all stems from my hatred of "god" rules your soul bit, to me there is no way it can NOT be reincarnation, that is not only most logical, but also the most meaningful and fits into how the rest of the world works.

Besides unlike most people, I like live enough to want to live again....reincarnation here I come baby!

Hmm I think "god" would best be described in a taoist way, it is just "everything" not some consious being, also I like FF7 it really is steeped in religion. FFX is equally awesome though

Sincerely,
no signature.

posted on Oct, 31 2002 @ 07:59 PM
link   
FF7 was great, FF 9 was ok, and FFX was awsome, but I love FF8 the best!! The way they have the in battle out lay, the different things you can do, and of course, they have a being nearly invincible, Omega Weapon. I mean, sure, Emarald was hard, Ruby Nearly impossible, but in FF8, the Omega has its one hit kills, multi magic kills, and I do over 700,000 dam and he keeps going. But this is religon forum, not chit chat, so I will stop.

Also, Thanks for all the fish by Douglas Adams is the fourth book in the trilogy. It a good trilogy, but there are four books in it. And i think there is another one! Funny though, four in a trilogy.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hi PorchMonkey.

I understand what you are saying, but this can be a tricky subject. I have not the wisdom to explain exactly what the bibles answer would be to what you said.
I have only been a christian just a few short years, and I would never say I have all the answers from a religious point of view.

But I will say this, that God does allow certain things to happen. Maybe to show man that living ignorantly of God is not the way life should be. When you go to drive in your car or any other kind of transport do you pray for God to keep you safe. If not and you then have a crash and harm comes to you then you cannot blame God for that. GOd could noy have intervened for you because you did not ask for his protection in the first place.

Now, like you said planes, trains and cars and other forms of transport do crash and people do die. But many times this is because someone has steped outside the rules. Rules are set by the government and other organisations, and it does say in the Bible that we should obey every ordinance of man for Gods sake whether it is to Kings, governments, authorities and so on. But if someone driving a car goes out of the set rules and starts speeding and crashes and dies. Then he has only himself to blame because he disobeyed the rules. If someone then disobeys the set rules then you are also disobeying Gods rules, Because god has said to obey the rules of the governments and authorities.
In britain we have an appalling track record for train crashes and if someone were to study that track record they would find that the reason for most of the crashes was down to the drivers going through the red light. Recently a train crash occured because a car driver fell asleep at the wheel and his car crashed through the barriers and stop right on top of the train lines. Can you guess what happened next?. does it say in the rules that we are allowed to drive a car while tired?. The most recent accident happened because a track maintenance guy disobeyed safety regulations and left the track too loose for the train to pass on and the trainended up on its side.
We could also say that highjacking a plane is sheer rebellion of mankind against law, so this could also come under disobedience on the part of the highjackers.
Nowhere in the bible does it say that god condones spacetravel and I strongly believe that we are playing with fire by going up there. It was never Gods intention for us to discover what is up there by doing it our own way. That is why God is not on mans side when we freely do our own will and mess around with what we do not understand. If God was on mankinds side when we go up into space then I would be confident that there would be no fatalities or exploding rockets, and every mission would be a success. But we humans think we know better, that is why mankind always fails.
The things that we see at night in the sky have a purpose. Who ever said that they were just there and god was inviting us to discover them. I would like to tell you what they are really for and what the bible says the speak of but that is another subject and for another forum.

lets get back to the topic in hand.

The tower of Babel

thanks for the conversation, speak to you later Porchmonkey.

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the LesserAlso, Thanks for all the fish by Douglas Adams is the fourth book in the trilogy. It a good trilogy, but there are four books in it. And i think there is another one! Funny though, four in a trilogy.

It's actually a 5-book triology...The last one was, "Mostly Harmless". In this one, the Vogons finally *succeed*!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
As one poster wrote, I believe that it is more about the pride. Mankind by building the tower of bable was trying to elevate himself above God. I always get concerned when people make big boasts about an accomplishment or such. What was it that the builder of the Titanic said, I can't remember the exact quote but I believe it was something to the effect that even God himself couldn't sink her. Hmm... I think we all know how history unfolded. I hate to think of how many people die because of one person's arogance. Our God is a jealous God. As for rockets and such I've never heard any claims about rockets making us greater than God, more for exploration of God's creation and I for one think God is just fine with that. The Mir space station was also never sent up there to stay, it wasn't put in a high enough orbit. It was for all intents and purposes a very expensive experiment.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow, very old post. I see that there are three banned members from the olden days of 2002.

Have you ever hear the saying?
"The Titanic was built by Professionals, but the Ark was built by volunteers."

The professionals bosted that it would not sink, but the volunteers prayed that it would not sink.

They should have never called it the Titanic. In Greek mythology the Titans were the elder gods who were bannished into a prison like place called Tartarus. These gods of Greek mythology remind me of the Watchers who got into some trouble in the days of Enoch. In other words they were known as the fallen angels who took human wives and beget the giants.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
If I had to give a non-cargo-cult explanation of the Tower of Babel, I'd say it stems from Genesis, where Yahweh accepts Abels offer of meat, and rejects Cain's offer of grain.

Yahweh says "if you do what is right, will you not be accepted?" which undermines the whole damn thing. "If you do the work, isn't that what matters? Does it matter what I think?" God says.

This seems to have sprung an early well of achievement in early man, and the Gods (oh yes, plural
) got scared; they saw man building the tower as a monument to themselves, to show how much humans are capable of, under Yahweh's off-the-cuff remark to Cain.

The Tower of Babel simply proves that the Elohim could offer mankind nothing. If we work for ourselfs, God gets scared? That is a strange and heady notion. We are better than we thought we were.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Thatoneguy

the tower of babel is translated very roughly when they are talking about heaven there are at least three heavens two are realms and 1 is a planet they wanted to ascend to the sky and dedicate the tower to the zodiac thats what god didnt like they were trying to make a world templle to offer to the zodiac the knoweledge of this came from fallen angels

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Greetings,

I'm not an expert on this subject, although I'm pretty familiar with the Tanahk/Torah from my scholarly days. I once heard a rabbi explain an interesting notion with regards to the story of the Tower of Bavel. There were two primary issues, one is that G-d (as someone else stated in this thread) wanted mankind to spread out across the face of the earth (and it was extrapolated that man's inclination towards urbanization further separates mankind from G-d because we are meant to commune with G-d in nature). The second issue was that of human arrogance. This rabbi (his name escapes me, but I can look it up if anyone is interested) stated that the reason G-d didn't wipe out everyone in this particular incident was that he was actually *impressed* with man's ability to work together, even though they were being idolatrous and arrogant. So as opposed to killing everyone, he scattered them and "confused their tongues." Clearly the idea of building a huge tower into the Heavens to go beat up God is kind of a laughable idea even by ancient standards, IMHO. Anyhow, thought that might an interesting tidbit to add to this discussion.

Peace,
hex23

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
An alternate theory on the tower story; after the flood, God promised to never again destroy the world with water. The rainbow is a sign of this promise. However, the people built a high tower to go up on in case God went back on His word and flooded the earth again. This was an “in your face” approach to God. Also the story of Nimrod is one of the oldest religions which is also mentioned in the Bible. It parallels the Egyptian story of Isis, Osiris and Horus. See this article.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Babel comes from an accadian word meaning Gate of God. According to one tradition on the the top of the tower was a statue holding a sword. This is reminscent of the Angel guarding the garden of Eden.

The story of Babel is a parable about the rise and fall of the Sumerians. Although their mud zigguratts are not impressive to us, the Sumerians developed archetectural concepts which are crucial to the development of advanced civilization. They invented the wheel and the arch. This knowledge needed to be dispersed inorder that many civilizations would develop not just one. The story also shows that even when it seems the heavenly powers are impeding man they are actually helping mankind progress.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

maybe heaven was closer to earth in those times and it may have been possible to reach it then

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

The people of that time weren't stuipid. I don't believe they thought they could build a tower that would reach to
heaven. So we need to try and make sense of this story. We can do that very simply. We need only consider the principles on witch the people built this tower. Stargate anyone ?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

You want more on tower of Babel, read the Book of Enoch and Jasher. It will fill in the blanks pretty good.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yes God would.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
I was reading through Genesis a few days ago and came across a story that I liked when I was a young child. The story of the tower of babel. Genesis Chapter 11 v 1-9. I believe in God but sometimes I have doubts of what is written in the Bible. Heck, parts were even taken out of the bible because they were believed to be false also.

The story, if you dont know, goes something like this. A city of people decide to build this big tower that will reach up into heaven. God sees this and doesnt like it so he confuses their language which is supposed to be the reason why there are supposed to be so many different languages today. Here is the problem I have with the story.

Today we have rockets, and sattelites that go higher than any tower could of gone back then and even today. Our rockets travel to distant planets. If God didn't want a tower of people coming up to him then woulndt he also prevent us from traveling in space?

Enlighten me.

Beloved Thatoneguy,

It has nothing to do with that; it has everything to do with religion. Religion is the tower that was built; and the language that was confounded was the Word, which Satan twisted to confuse you. This is why it is referred to as Babel, or Babylon, which means Confusion: it is the double logic of the despicable one known as Satan, whose other names are the Devil, Lucifer, Leviathon, Dragon, Serpent, Yaldabaoth, Saklas and Samael.

There is a lot to learn about this, which many blame God for out of ignorance; and if you do seek this knowledge, you can find it at Revelations: The secret of life, as revealed to John by the only-begotten Light.

Peace be with you!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join