It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kennedy Opposes Wind Farm

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I would rather look at windmills than at an oil rig or co-generation plant; gottem all around here and windmills definitely a better visual trade off for energy generation. The ones here are white. Public art--where's Christo!

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
As far as tourism, I can envision a ferry that tours the windmills. The developers could build a non-functional one that the ferry could pass right through and show how the project works, complete with souvenier and refreshment stands.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Ok, Jsobecky, i would go see the windmills on my way to Nantucket. Wanna come?

I did contact Ted's office and i hope i get an answer as to why we shouldnt have them.

Of course, i dont know if i will get the REAL reason, but i can try. I wont fly again in that little pregnant rollerskate, but i take the Ferry, the slow ferry
I dont like the fast one. I suppose i could put on a parachute this time
and fly again.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
[edit on 30-4-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
why dont they kill two birds with one stone and install the underwater windmills off of cape cod? anyone? ? anyone? ? ?

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
A wave farm would be great. Cape Cod gets a lot of swell, as does Cape Hatteras, even though there will a lot of time when the swell is down and the farm wont produce anything. I have friends with their BS and beyond in Ocean Engineering and they would love to work on a project like this. Cape Canaveral could be used for prototypes, but does not get enough swell to be a productive farm.

The west coast has a bunch of potential for wave farms as does Alaska. In theory just a few wave farms or one reallly big one could produce enough power for everyone in the state of Alaska.

Europe already has a commercial wave farm up and running.

www.anoasis.co.uk... 25/Politics/opd_turbines_power_first_commercial_wave_farm.html

www.renewableenergyaccess.com...

[edit on 30-4-2006 by jrod]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Jrod, thankyou for the links. I will send them to my congressman and the president and vice-pres. (I may get back a nice letter saying how our waves are different, we need to keep the sea clear for the oil rigs, terrorists could steal them, excuses ad nauseum.) Have your friends contact the Energy Dept and Cheney, asking for grant $ to make these things. Serious, we all need to question our leaders, put them in the hotseat. I see shows about oil rigs listed in the tv guide; where're the shows/news about this?

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
California has a ton of opportunities for underwater wind mills and maybe even underwater turbines.

On the Coast and throughout the san joaquin delta they would probably want to go with underwater windmills aka watermills to generate energy.

Also, just thought of this. has anyone thought of installing countless watermills or underwater turbines in the California Aquaduct that runs from Northern to Southern California. The water is goin to LA anyways why not make a little power for its people on the trip down? ? ?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

www.anoasis.co.uk... 25/Politics/opd_turbines_power_first_commercial_wave_farm.html

Thanks for the sites about wave farms, jrod. I was particularly interested in some of the comments in the second link. If I understood correctly, wind farms and wave farms can be combined. One poster recommends wind, wave and solar where ever conditions permit.

Portugal seems to stand head and shoulders above the US in producing alternative renewable energy sources.

One question....Has anyone discussed security for this type of off shore energy production?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree

Thanks for the sites about wave farms, jrod. I was particularly interested in some of the comments in the second link. If I understood correctly, wind farms and wave farms can be combined. One poster recommends wind, wave and solar where ever conditions permit.

Portugal seems to stand head and shoulders above the US in producing alternative renewable energy sources.

One question....Has anyone discussed security for this type of off shore energy production?

what type of security do you think they need?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Low Orbit. You asked the question about what kind of security I think these wind farms or wave farms need.

It seems to me that these off shore energy systems would need security from terrorist attacks.

If these forms of alternative energy are capable of producing as advertised we would be in a bad situation should that energy source get hit. Strictly speaking now of the eastern seaboard where the purposed Cape Wind farm would be located.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I'm not sure if a wave farm would need much security, when the swell is up and thet are producing it would be very difficult to navigate a boat out there. When the conditions are calm a simple radar system can detect boat that get too close, the Coast Guard or Navy could easily intercept a suspicious vessel. An underwater mill is an extremly difficult target, if their is so much concern about securing our power grid, then why not focus on the land plants and grids.

I dont know much about the underwater current generators, but I do know the wave farm structures make a great habitat for sea life.

As for my friends involved in OE, none of them have contacts and it would take take a miracle for grad students in their mid 20's to convince the right people for financing a wave farm project.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I'm not sure if a wave farm would need much security, when the swell is up and thet are producing it would be very difficult to navigate a boat out there. When the conditions are calm a simple radar system can detect boat that get too close, the Coast Guard or Navy could easily intercept a suspicious vessel. An underwater mill is an extremly difficult target, if their is so much concern about securing our power grid, then why not focus on the land plants and grids.

I dont know much about the underwater current generators, but I do know the wave farm structures make a great habitat for sea life.

As for my friends involved in OE, none of them have contacts and it would take take a miracle for grad students in their mid 20's to convince the right people for financing a wave farm project.

I agree with you that a watermill would need virtually no security. This is for the reasons listed above and the fact that these watermills will be so spread out if you wanted to take them all off line you would probably have to blow up miles of territory.

Mahree watermills are very similar to windmills. Im not sure which country you are from but here in the US we make better use of our national security than to have our national guard protecting our windmills.

Don't worry, if you are in the security industry Im sure you will still be able to find a job as a security guard somewhere.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a) I'm also wondering what Kennedy's motivations are

b) about the underwater turbines -- will they not destroy fish and other sea creatures?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Wow, mr kennedy...

Personally I love the sight of windmills in the distance...

Looks smart, and logical, and clean...

Much prettier than smog, or oil derricks, as desert said.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the assurances about security, jrod.

Here is some information about the underwater turbines.

According to the Gothamist, 10/23/05, New York City is awaiting approval from the
Army Corp of Engineers for a trial set of 6 underwater turbines for an 18 month period in the East River.
source

Another
source

I agree with you jrod that the wave farm as sited by you would be less intrusive for air and sea creatures.

Low Orbit. Thanks for the information about calling the underwater turbines, watermills. I hadn't heard that descriptive phrase yet. BTW I am not looking for a security job. lol

Back to topic. Some of these other alternative energy sources using the same area might more appeal to Ted Kennedy and Mitt Romney

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Good, the field is wide open then! Good Lord, first Brazil, now Portugal are besting us. I remember when windfarms were scoffed at, now there are more being built. Mid 20's it's your future, what kind of future do you want? Contact people in the alt energy field. This country seems to thrive on miracles; miracles don't happen easily, it requires work, but still miracles can happen. Part of Bush's energy pla is "Diversifying The Nation's Energy Supply With Renewable Sources ", hold his feet to the fire.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

b) about the underwater turbines -- will they not destroy fish and other sea creatures?

yes, turbines might destroy the fish and other sea life however for the slower moving watermill is not a threat to aquatic life.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit

Originally posted by Aelita

yes, turbines might destroy the fish and other sea life however for the slower moving watermill is not a threat to aquatic life.

Yeah they will destroy sea life swimming into them but Im sure there will be a bunch of fish and sharks waiting behind the turbines waiting for an easy meal.

I personally like wave farms, open ocean swells carry huge amounts of energy and I am certain the existing technology can be greatly improved and near shore breakers can me maximized by building structures that refract and reflect waves so they are at a peak when they hit the power station. Cape Canaveral has miles and miles of empty coastline that is perfect for setting up prototypes than can be built in places that have a more constant supply of swell. And they make a great habitat for sea creatures.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by jrod]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Chapaquidic Ted..... Of course he doesn't want wind farms....

but, the people or Mass. keep electing him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join