It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church Encourages Kiwis to Boycott South Park, Record Ratings Result

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
In a classic case of good intentions misifring, the Catholic Church apparently tried to organize a boycott of the South Park Episode airing Wed in New Zealand, entitled "Bloody Mary." The episode features a statue of the virgin Mary, bleeding from the nether regions, curing people miraculously in a small town in Colorado.

The show spoofs the Catholic Church, and I guess they take offense to spoofing. I'm actually surprised this offended them more than the episode entitled "Red Hot Catholic Love." That was, IMO, the funnier, and more offensive episode. Anyway, here's the story.

Link

The "Bloody Mary" episode of South Park drew more than six times the normal audience, New Zealand broadcaster TV Works announced Thursday. The episode, which aired Wednesday night, was seen by 210,000 viewers, according to Rick Friesen, the broadcaster's chief operating officer. "I expected a bit of a rise, but not that much," he told the Associated Press.

In the past month, he said, an average South Park episode typically draws about 32,500 viewers to the network's C4 youth channel. During Wednesday night's broadcast, however, more than 350 people protested outside the TV Works headquarters in Auckland. The protest centred on a statue of the Virgin Mary, with participants - clutching Bibles and religious icons - singing hymns, reciting the rosary and offering other prayers.

A Catholic priest who led the protesters in prayer asked God to enlighten those responsible for the cartoon "and strengthen them to see how much harm they can do." Last weekend, New Zealand's Roman Catholic bishops issued a letter urging parishioners to boycott the channel and its sponsors. The Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand also protested the episode and said it was deeply offensive.

Deeply offensive? Of course it's deeply offensive! It's South Park! This is the show that brought us such timeless, naseuating classics as "Ewwww..Ben Affleck spooge!" and Lemiwinks, the Gerbil King.

Deeply offensive? You bet your ass, and that's what makes the show so popular. If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

I find it particularly humorous that the ratings exceeded expectations. So now, what did you learn, Catholic Church?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
All this proves is that if you dont like what your watching, there is a miraculous device sent straight from the heavens called a remote control, this enables you to CHANGE the channel if you do not like what you see. This really needs to be emphasised more.
So the church is south parks new marketing campaign.

You can easily compare this to the mohammad cartoons, now because of the amount of publicity given to that, everyone is going to pull out cartoons from every country, offensive cartoons have never been so popular thanks to the extremists.

The moral of the story is live and let live

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I don't see anything "wrong" here.

From a religious aspect, the catholic church authorities were, from their opinion, entirely within their rights to "condemn" or express a negative view towards the media message portrayed by South Park. The images and language used in the cartoon are not "acceptable" to Catholics as deemed by the Catholic heirarchy.
The church authorities simply made a statement to this effect.

It is notable that there were more viewers of the South Park cartoon after the church's condemnation of the program but such actions are certainly within the aegis of the Church. The fact that there were more viewers is simply "human nature".

At least we did not see rioting and violence and death threats against the creators of the South Park Show. Personally, I would find it interesting if the makers of South Park, noted for their satirical attacks against the "establishment" will take on the Mohammed cartoon incident. Somehow, I would have to bet that they won't even go near this particular topic. No, it's best to keep insulting a belief system that will not resort to violence because it has evolved past that point -- though you just have to know that the new pope -- Ratzinger -- would just love to call a new crusade against such heresy......let the cartoonist burnings begin.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
From the source:

A Catholic priest who led the protesters in prayer asked God to enlighten those responsible for the cartoon "and strengthen them to see how much harm they can do."

How much harm they can do? I don't think anyone with religious beliefs would let an epsidode of southpark or a cartoon twist or change the way they look at the church, or anything for that matter.

Well it could've been worse....it could have been an offensive cartoon, oh wait it is

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
It is notable that there were more viewers of the South Park cartoon after the church's condemnation of the program but such actions are certainly within the aegis of the Church. The fact that there were more viewers is simply "human nature".

What I find sad is that the church is so out of touch with human nature that they couldn't foresee this happening. Certainly the church should be expected to oppose media they deem offensive, but perhaps they could do it in a way that actually has the intended effect? Or maybe they don't really care about the souls who choose to act against the will of the church. But if 1 out of 10 are "saved" from offensive media, and 9 out of 10 are driven to watch something they wouldn't have watched otherwise, I can't see how the church isn't screwing things up more than they're helping. (I have no idea if these ratios actually represent this particular event.)

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The best part is when the Pope comes to investigate, only to discover it isnt "ass-blood", but vagina-blood, which is not an act of God, cause "Women bleed out of their vaginas all the time."

Comedy at its best. Gotta love South Park: The equal opportunity offender.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saltman

What I find sad is that the church is so out of touch with human nature that they couldn't foresee this happening. Certainly the church should be expected to oppose media they deem offensive, but perhaps they could do it in a way that actually has the intended effect?

I know that it is "sad" that people have to act in a way that opposite from the moral instruction that has been issued. It is sad that people would be divergent from their espoused moral belief's. The people should be able to recognize that certain views and depictions are against their accepted Faith and they should be excercising their "free will" and, of course, make the
right choice. But regardless, it is the Church's responsibility to isse statements intended to provide moral guidance. To avoid confusion, that statement must be, by definition, clear and concise (which the Church, most certainly, was). South Park was something that was clearly offensive and immoral -- in the eyes of the Church -- and the Church responded clearly. The fact that people used ther 'free will' and went against the 'instruction' of the Church places all culpability and responsibility back onto the conscience's of the Catholics.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

IAt least we did not see rioting and violence and death threats against the creators of the South Park Show.

I can say with complete confidence: That's coming, too. When you have an absolutist view of religion, that my God is bigger than your God, that my faith is always right and yours is always wrong, there is an inexorable march toward violence. It's happened before (at least until the 30 Years' War) and it will happen again, most likely here in America.

Look at this: When you believe that your faith is the only way to heaven, and your neighbor isn't bringing up his children in your faith, isn't that the worst sort of child abuse? Isn't insuring the damnation of a child much worse than any physical abuse? You see where this can go. It always, every time, ends up in believing that since those who don't believe like you do are damned for eternity that they're just not entitled to the same treatment in this world. Violence ensues, and it will again as long as people use faith to separate themselves from their neighbors.

Remember that the next time you see somebody posting here with the bleeding heart avatar and biblical quotations in their sig line. They're laying down a warning: "you're damned in the next world and you're in for an ass-kicking in this one". And all this more than a hundred years after The Enlightenment.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saltman

What I find sad is that the church is so out of touch with human nature that they couldn't foresee this happening. Certainly the church should be expected to oppose media they deem offensive, but perhaps they could do it in a way that actually has the intended effect?

I know that it is "sad" that people have to act in a way that opposite from the moral instruction that has been issued. It is sad that people would be divergent from their espoused moral belief's. The people should be able to recognize that certain views and depictions are against their accepted Faith and they should be excercising their "free will" and, of course, make the
right choice. But regardless, it is the Church's responsibility to isse statements intended to provide moral guidance. To avoid confusion, that statement must be, by definition, clear and concise (which the Church, most certainly, was). South Park was something that was clearly offensive and immoral -- in the eyes of the Church -- and the Church responded clearly. The fact that people used ther 'free will' and went against the 'instruction' of the Church places all culpability and responsibility back onto the conscience's of the Catholics.

Did I miss the part in the Bible where dirty jokes are sinful? Please. That the Catholic Church would actually put out an order to boycott South Park is an abomination of the Faith. In my city, there was another priest taken away in handcuffs for molesting children after the archbishop knew there was something going on with this guy, but they only moved him to a different church. But the Mother Church has got to worry about South Park. Magisterium, my ass. Pope Ratzo should be ashamed.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Does that say Youth channel? wow i love da show but some of things on it IMO shouldn't be placed on a youth channel. they should stay have to up like me

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I can't wait for the South Park episode about this boycott!!

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Heh, I have to say, the Catholic church sure got it wrong with this.....bringing so much dramatic attention to ANYthing is going to boost ratings....duh.

I didn't watch it, I've never watched south park much. Just not interested, whether they're doing a show on the virgin mary or the richest whore in hollywood....i couldn't give a rats a#s. Why is it the Catholic Church don't protest so vigourously about the "evil" violence on tv?? or the homosexual content on many programs (a subject they love being prejudice about, then preach "DONT be prejudice the following sunday).....its all hypocritical crap. They can't see that fact. Why would they be intelligent enough to realise they're drawing the ratings up through the roof? Heh.....answer is simple to me.

Don't get yer knickers all twisted people....Im not hassling any individuals, merely the heirachy that seems to be real stoopid

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by vuotoDid I miss the part in the Bible where dirty jokes are sinful? Please.

Yeah, that would be right. You totally missed something.
It's called the Ten Commandments.
And if you had known more about them you'd know that they cover alot more than just 10 sins:
#2 THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN.
Forbids: blasphemy, the irreverent use of God's name, speaking disrespectfully of holy things, ***profane words (cursing)***; false, rash, unjust, and unnecessary oaths and the breaking of vows.

Just remember God never changes.
Do you actually expect our creator to keep up with our f*cked up modern culture?

Just wondering: Would anybody feel offended if I made a cartoon of their Mom bleeding from her vagina, poked lots of fun at it, and did everything I could to diminish any respect for her? Then showed it on national TV so that everyone who loved and respected your Mom would be completely aghast. I could care less if it hurts your feelings or not.....IMHO it'd be really funny!
Not!

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotolerance

Originally posted by vuotoDid I miss the part in the Bible where dirty jokes are sinful? Please.

Yeah, that would be right. You totally missed something.
It's called the Ten Commandments.
And if you had known more about them you'd know that they cover alot more than just 10 sins:
Forbids: blasphemy, the irreverent use of God's name, speaking disrespectfully of holy things, ***profane words (cursing)***; false, rash, unjust, and unnecessary oaths and the breaking of vows.

Just remember God never changes.
Do you actually expect our creator to keep up with our f*cked up modern culture?

Just wondering: Would anybody feel offended if I made a cartoon of their Mom bleeding from her vagina, poked lots of fun at it, and did everything I could to diminish any respect for her? Then showed it on national TV so that everyone who loved and respected your Mom would be completely aghast. I could care less if it hurts your feelings or not.....IMHO it'd be really funny!
Not!

Mary is the lord? Holy ****.....AND shes your mom? Thats just...wow man. Good luck with that.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by God Emperor Zeonix]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I may be a bit off-topic, but the part about cursing/irreverent use is considered by many to be a misinterpretation of the commandment. An alternative (and more accurate IMO) interpretation is that the commandment forbids attributing God's name to one's one statements or opinions. See this: www.americanvision.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
And you believe God's name is God?
There are lots of Gods with lots of names. How about the South Park depicting moses as a giant floating pink diamond with a love for harmonics and paper plate bean shakers?

You believe there's an all powerful deity who can read your mind and save your soul and has eyes like Santa Claus, but this God can't tell the difference between a blasphemous invocation and an abstract expletive?

The Virgin Mary is a myth, so she isn't anybody's mom, is she? She's just a young woman with a misguided cult worshipping her idol.

Parody and satire makes the church uncomfortable, because it makes people THINK.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
South Park seems like a show written for adolescents. I never did like it and I barely can understand what is being said most of the time. I think its main objective is shock value like Madonna would do or Don Rickles or Stern or that retard Tom Green. Sometimes there may be a message in there but I wouldn't be able to extract it.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Deeply offensive? Of course it's deeply offensive! It's South Park! This is the show that brought us such timeless, naseuating classics as "Ewwww..Ben Affleck spooge!" and Lemiwinks, the Gerbil King.

Exactly. And don't forget Mr. Hankey!
South Park has become one of my favorite shows just because it is so irreverent and offensive. But they're equal opportunity offenders.

ps. Do New Zealanders object to being called "Kiwis"?

Forbids: blasphemy, the irreverent use of God's name, speaking disrespectfully of holy things, ***profane words (cursing)***;

Curious... How do you justify preaching about profanity and then using it all in the same post?

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

*snip*

ps. Do New Zealanders object to being called "Kiwis"?

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

Well, lets see. The Kiwi is brown (oh BOY what a lively fashion colour), it is very 'round' in the middle, it has a nose longer than pinocchio and it can't even darn well fly!. Do I object?...Hrmmmmmm.....

Nope! It might be darn ugly but dang its all we got! lol National pride is what the Kiwi symbolises. For what exactly, I dunno but we're real patriotic down here yonder

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanse_nz
National pride is what the Kiwi symbolises. For what exactly, I dunno but we're real patriotic down here yonder

Thank you for answering my question. And so pleasurably!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join