It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate over Birthright Citzenship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
NEW YORK - A proposal to change long-standing federal policy and deny citizenship to babies born to illegal immigrants on U.S. soil ran aground this month in Congress, but it is sure to resurface — kindling bitter debate even if it fails to become law.

news.yahoo.com
NEW YORK - A proposal to change long-standing federal policy and deny citizenship to babies born to illegal immigrants on U.S. soil ran aground this month in Congress, but it is sure to resurface — kindling bitter debate even if it fails to become law.

At issue is "birthright citizenship" — provided for since the Constitution's 14th Amendment was ratified in 1868.
Some conservatives in Congress, as well as advocacy groups seeking to crack down on illegal immigration, say the amendment has been misapplied over the years, that it was never intended to grant citizenship automatically to babies of illegal immigrants. Thus they contend that federal legislation, rather than a difficult-to-achieve constitutional amendment, would be sufficient to end birthright citizenship.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this debate could either damage America economically depending how successful it is in New York State. The 14th Admendment, is an "iffy" Admendment at best, it allows natualisation, but also allows for more power by the State, and more importantly the National Goverement.

Related News Links:
www.senate.gov
www.house.gov
caselaw.lp.findlaw.com

[edit on 12/26/05 by bsbfan1]

[edit on 12/26/05 by FredT]

[edit on 12/26/05 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If citizenship were denied to babies born to illegal immigrants, then technically we'd all be deported.

I think we're starting to go overboard on some of this stuff.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by elderban
If citizenship were denied to babies born to illegal immigrants, then technically we'd all be deported.

No not really. Most of our parents were legal immigrants, there in lies the difference.

I am all for the law. It is about time and long overdue.

Edit to add for clarification I am only talking about illegal immigrants not those born to legal immigrants.

[edit on 12/26/2005 by shots]

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
"Anchor babies" are a very good way to solve the problem of illegal immigration.

An anchor baby is a child born to illegal immigrants and is thus imbued with all the rights of citizenship. That child IS an American citizen. As such it can be the legal sponsor for any number of Aunts, Uncles, cousins and all other members of its extended family.

The more anchor babies we have, the less illegal immigrants we have. They will have a right to come here as a member of a citizens family, And the child, as a citizen, has every right to sponsor them.

I would rather have a million legal immigrants coming over the border then a million illegal ones anyday. Atleast the legal ones have hope and can become a part of society.

Just my two nickels on it.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Wonderful more retarded kneejerk divisive legislation from the so called "conservatives". I find the whole concept disgusting. Where your parents were born should have no bearing on your rights to American citizenship. Whats next stripping the right to birthright citizenship from "real Americans" too?

Thats what this essentially is once you get through the "patriotic" BS cloaking this nonsense. I've known the children of illegal immigrants both born here and not, I've shared classrooms with them, made friendships with them, even dated them and guess what they were every bit as American as you and I. We are talking about people who associate their personal identity with America not with some foreign homeland they've never been to. If we seperate citizenship from the organic concept of birthplace and instead base it on artificial concepts that can be changed on a whim of public opinion then we've turned it into little more then a piece of paper that is granted and can be revoked whenever the government feels like it.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I too don't like this legislation, I would however support legislation that would deny any rights to the parents or relatives of that baby. The baby can still have it’s citizenship had all the rights that come with it, but his/her parents and relatives should not enjoy any of those rights. They broke the law and are illegal immigrants. In my opinion it’s not right to punish the newborn, it had no control over what his/her parents did.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by elderban

I think we're starting to go overboard on some of this stuff.

Why? We are not all illegal immagrants. Seems like a much needed law to me.

-- Boat

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
As such it can be the legal sponsor for any number of Aunts, Uncles, cousins and all other members of its extended family

It does not work that way. In order to sponsor someone you have to be financially stable and 18 years of age.

Under the law, every person who immigrates based on a relative
petition must have a financial sponsor.

All sponsors must be United States (U.S.) citizens or permanent
residents, be at least 18, and be living in the U.S. (including
territories and possessions) when they file the affidavit of support.
(from ins booklet M-606 (05/05) pg one)

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
The proposed law changes in question dont make any logical sense a unborn child who no choice about where he/she is born. The logical course of Action would be to take greater measures to prevent illegal immigrants from entering the USA.

top topics

join