It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You guys might like this. (Banning)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I used to post on a forum called ####.com

Well, on that forum, someone asked if I could explain how to do a Whois search.

So I did. I used ####.com as the example for the whois search, and as expected, the administrative information came up.

Now, any admin who has half a brain should realise that the information they register the website to is public information.

Not this one. She banned me from ####.com. Why?

Thats the part I cant figure out. I mean, should I have been a hacker (Or as you hackers call them, Crackers) I could have done some serious damage to her forum. I think banning for something she didnt understand was a bad call.

But thats not the point of this post.

The point is. The forums own rules stated that everyone is entitled to a warning. I didnt get one. And upon further investigation of their rules, it became apparent that I hadnt broken any of the boards rules at all.

-Admin banned me.
-I didnt break any rules.
-Admin broke her own rules by banning without warning.

She then proceeded to verbally harass my girlfriend. Which is again, pretty childish. Again, not sure why she did that, But thats not the point.

The point I'm getting at, is, do you think failsafes should be created for places on the internet such as forums, in which the administrators cannot attack someone simply because ... well, I'm not quite sure why she attacked me like that.

Either way... by failsafe, I'm asking, how could websites ensure that the admins dont decide one day to simply up and ban anyone they dont agree with? That sort of enfringes on your right to your oppinion does it not (which by the way right to opinion was another rule stated on the site that the admin did not uphold).

To top it off, to ensure I couldnt defend myself, and show others that I hadn't said anything wrong, she proceeded to delete the post I was banned for.

She then banned my girlfriend, and a few of my friends because they simply asked, "Why did you do that?"

So, other than the main point, stay clear of ####.com, its a pretty retartedly administrated site. And seeing as the site admin was dumb enough to place her personal information all over the internet... just whois search ####.com to see who I'm talking about.

I just cannot stand it when people act so childishly when someone simply disagrees with them.

ADMIN EDIT: We don't encourage direct critique of the policies of other boards.

[edit on 22-12-2005 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Either way... by failsafe, I'm asking, how could websites ensure that the admins dont decide one day to simply up and ban anyone they dont agree with? That sort of enfringes on your right to your oppinion does it not (which by the way right to opinion was another rule stated on the site that the admin did not uphold).

I think you'll find that we are usually very hesitant to ban quickly, and have a pretty well-defined process. In a sense, this itself is a pretty good "failsafe". There are however, times when a quick and warningless ban need to be enacted (such as hacks, blatant abuse, etc. etc.) Luckily, such cases are rare. However, it is important to realize that such forums are NOT a democracy....nor is posting a "right". Posting on any forum is a "priviledge" of membership, and all that is asked of most members on most forums is adherance to some basic guidelines.

Your particular experience seems to be more of a product of one admin who doesn't have to answer to other admins/mods or a large membership. Here, when one of us makes a mistake (and we're only human....except for the lizzie mods
), we're definitely called on, by other mods, and the membership.

I think there are NUMEROUS examples of members whom the mods generally disagree with, but such disagreements are not bannable offenses. Indeed, some of my favorite posters are often those who have an opinion contrary to my own. I find that I learn FAR more from those with different opinions, than from those who agree....

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well I have experienced that myself here on ATS sort of...

My Avatar was banned because a mod thought it said something it didn't.

They are supposed to give you 24 hours notice to fix, which I didn't get. I was told if I didn't like their rules they would ban me. They broke their own rule...

I explained the mistake to the mod politely, got no responce.

Seems like forums are run as a dictatorship, where the mod is always right even when proven wrong. It would be fine if they would admit their mistakes and correct them, but doesn't seem to be happening.

And I'll bet you anything my post here will get deleted. Can't speak out against mods around here, they call it board drama...LOL

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So Desire had no desire for your company, huh?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
A concise and eloquent synopsis from Gazrok of a big reason I love this site. With so many opinionated members, feathers will be ruffled. That's just the way it is. Disagreement is fine, just don't be a jerk about it. Personally, I'd much prefer a conversation with an intelligent individual I totally disagree with, than an oaf who agrees with me completely.

There's an old quote [author escapes me]: "When two people are in complete agreement, only one of them is doing the thinking".

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Agreeing to disagree is something most people don't know how to do. Letting other people share their differences of opinion, when you totally disagree is not something most people know how to do either.

Not going to say what I really think, or I'd get a warning. =)

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
In the end, the owners of a forum/board/website can do whatever they please and ban whomever they like whenever they want.

so...

watch yerselves

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
They are supposed to give you 24 hours notice to fix, which I didn't get. I was told if I didn't like their rules they would ban me. They broke their own rule...

That "rule" states:
If you receive a warning from a moderator to alter your signature to comply with the guidelines above, you'll have 24 hours to make the changes. If you don't make the alterations within the reasonable timeframe, the noncompliant material will be deleted from your profile for you.

Note that I highlighted the SIGNATURE part. It does not apply to avatars. ATS reserves the right to "kill" an avatar instantly. Why would we let someone post something questionable (a nude image for example) and then have to wait 24 hours for the member to take it down?

As for the banning if you didn't like the rule...I submit that like your other misintepretation, you are could doing the same here. I don't know of people being banned for this reason. I also suggest you see my post on D-ego regarding our group approach on matters like that.

I explained the mistake to the mod politely, got no responce.

Why not make another complain submission? It could be that a Mod thought someone else was handling it or they contacted a Super that hasn't had time or missed the request. We're human too you know and not perfect.

Seems like forums are run as a dictatorship, where the mod is always right even when proven wrong. It would be fine if they would admit their mistakes and correct them, but doesn't seem to be happening.

This is a PRIVATE discussion board. Read the copy below:

Lastly, and most important, this is a privately owned discussion board community. The administration and senior moderator staff reserve the right to take action against any member who is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption or whose actions represent behavior contrary to community building. This action may include complete banning of your username and IP address.

Many times if one of us is wrong we admit that and try to correct the mistake. This seems like one incident that you want to broad stroke with a brush and generalize to all cases. This is simply untrue. I think some members can attest to this and even (dare I say it) some probably even remember me admitting fault somewhere and doing my best to fix that.

And I'll bet you anything my post here will get deleted. Can't speak out against mods around here, they call it board drama...LOL

Why delete it? I don't think your rant over an avatar is worth the bother, although this whole thread probably belongs in the Rant Forum. So now we get to the matter of "speaking out" that you mention. It IS drama and we do call it such. You feel slighted and so rather than email (mine is in my profile - I just don't check it so often), u2u (I always check), or complaint (all of the staff and council sees them)...you would rather make a "poor me the evil nazi mods" post simply intended to create board drama.

A simply followup on your part might have gotten you an apology (someone probably thought it was handled) and most likely a solution to the original matter. Sometimes it's better to see the good in people rather than the bad.

As for your matter. Personally I was aware of it and thought it WAS handled already. The solution? Put your avatar back. Maybe even send me a link first and I will personally have a look and be sure it's alright for you. That should resolve the issue.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have a question...

WHY do you keep coming back if we have done so poorly by you? WHY don't you try U2U, Gripe/Idea or Email?

Springer...

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
In the end, the owners of a forum/board/website can do whatever they please and ban whomever they like whenever they want.

so...

watch yerselves

This IS a good reminder BTW (delivered with some humor....maybe) and Springer just added to that notion.

I LIVE in a place like this. Where I live, I can be terminated from my employer at any time with no reason given at all.

Sound horrible? Not really. It's called AT WILL.

Both parties are in a mutual relationtionship and either party can terminate that relationship AT WILL. Employers can fire employees that don't perform or even that they just don't like. On the other hand, employees can also leave employers that don't meet expectations or they just don't like.

How does that apply? The owners here can take action including banning you AT WILL and YOU can also leave ATS and not log in again...AT WILL.

It's a win-win situation if you think about it.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
What exactly does this whining pathetic post have to do with ANYTHING on ATS?

Its like someone applying for a job and complaining about their last employer, just makes the complainer look bad.

[edit on 22-12-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
From the looks of things, you have no reason to complain. Not every one is a writer fighter scholar, and frankly I don't appreciate any of the scholars setting a less than ideal example.

Shape up, or ship out.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I'd say "get over it".

You're here now. Count it as a lucky break.

But to others I'd remind them that this is the Freshman Forum.

Let's remember what this forum is for. It is an enviroment where members can dip their toes in without being ravaged.

[edit on 22-12-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I have a question...
WHY do you keep coming back if we have done so poorly by you?
WHY don't you try U2U, Gripe/Idea or Email?

Because I love all so much....

I did U2U and I did use the gripe, doesn't seem to work though...

All I ask is for the mods involved to do the right thing, admit they were wrong and give me my avatar back...But I guess I'm the bad guy again for refusing to except injustice

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It was just an avatar...

...an avatar with a visually obscure phrase easily mistaken for something against our T&C.

Move on.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I just want to add that I have even seen mods get banned on this site. So, even the mods are not immune to the T & C here.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   

LIVE in a place like this. Where I live, I can be terminated from my employer at any time with no reason given at all.

Sound horrible? Not really. It's called AT WILL.

Me too.

In fact, two years ago, shortly after this time, I witnessed it firsthand, when I was fired from my job with no explanation, a day after returning from my honeymoon. I had nothing but an excellent record, glowing reviews, promotions, and a stack of customer compliment letters and people asking for me by name.

Yet, my new director saw me as a threat, so used my absence during my honeymoon to basically force me out. Sometimes life sucks...but then sometimes it works out. Now I'm with a global company, on the way up, and back in school at the same time, working towards higher degrees and eventually an MBA, possibly even a PHD.

In other words....thems the breaks.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Gazrok....BTW, I just noticed you're a super mod now. Congrats. When did that happen? I guess we haven't been in the same thread in a while?

edit...spelled your name wrong at first

[edit on 23-12-2005 by MacMerdin]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
It was just an avatar...

...an avatar with a visually obscure phrase easily mistaken for something against our T&C.

Move on.

It's not just an avatar to me. Now it's the principle. My Av did NOT break T&C!
Why can't you'll admit it! Why should I move on? YOU all made the mistake, so you should make it right.

It's not a visualy obscure phrase, it is easy to read, and a close up copy was sent to the mods in question. If they are seeing something that isn't there then what else are they "seeing" on ATS they are wrong about!

You guys just don't want to admit you were wrong!!

[edit on 23/12/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Skeptic & staff have much more efficient things to do than go around and remove your avatar for laughs. I'm sure that it was offensive if they did it. Keep in mind that the terms and conditions are subject to change at any point, as the Administration sees fit to do so.

Also, if you'd like some friendly member - member advice, I'd stop while your still ahead. Like us, they're people to, and they have a limit of stuff they can take before you put that one last straw that breaks the camel's back. Just a suggestion friend.

[edit on 12/23/2005 by JBurns]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join