It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Anyone Out There Who's Really Offended by Christmas Trees?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I'm sorry but this is just political correctness gone mad. I don't get offended when I walk through the indian part of town and see all the divali lights everywhere (In fact I quite enjoy it)

Why can't people just appreciate different peoples cultural traditions?

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
No problem with Christmas trees here. BIG PROBLEM with holiday trees! ICK!

See, like I said, most people aren't offended by Christmas Trees. The people who are all up in arms are the ones taking offense to the Holiday Trees. I'd like to see a thread called:

Is There Anyone Out There Who's Really Offended by Holiday Trees?

I bet there'd be a lot more "Yes!" responses than here.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bengals for the superbowl
I'm sorry but this is just political correctness gone mad. I don't get offended when I walk through the indian part of town and see all the divali lights everywhere (In fact I quite enjoy it)

Why can't people just appreciate different peoples cultural traditions?

I for one agree with you.

What bothers me is when authorities Bowdlerize and water down people's traditions and beliefs for the benefit of the public.

I know this will sound silly, but Disney world really offends me; you know the part where they have a street for every continent, and a shop for every nation? It's enough to make an anthropologist puke.

Like the "scandinavian" exhibit. They tell the kiddies what "brave explorers" the norse were. They just omit the slavery, the raping, pillaging and drunken attacks on law and order, the selling of captive girls into slave markets after they've been gang raped.

See, an authority always "edits out" the ugly stuff, in order to make a sale. In the process of doing so, they are telling a lie, and trying to convince you that "we are more alike than different," but doing so by lying to you.

Maybe in another hundred years Disney will have a third reich exhibit, an Antebellum South exhibit, and a Taliban exhibit.

It sucks to see anyone's cultural and religious heritage "stripped down" and packaged for mass consumption--turned into bland, souless fast-food that doesn't satisfy, it only impoverishes.

If you set up an exhibit with a Kwanzaa cornicupia, a Christmas Tree, and a Menorah, you're doing a similiar thing. The authors of such an exhibit certainly don't intend for you to meditate on the profundity of God in flesh appearing, or God restoring the Holy Presence in the Temple at Jerusalem even while it is under siege; they certainly don't want you considering the ideals of pan-african nationalism.

No, they just want you to think that everyone has a reason to shop this month.

All three traditions are insulted by being lined up along side each other like you're in a buffet at Wyatt's Cafeteria or a Shoney's. And what about the religions that are excluded: no Devalia, no Ramadan sweets, no Solstice alignment of standing stones.

Cafeteria food all sucks because it is homogenized. The barbecue sauce is just ketchup with sugar and cinamon in it. The pie is fake blueberries. The fried chicken is actually just microwaved frozen 'portions'.

You know the last time someone succeeded at outlawing Christmas? It was Oliver Cromwell and the Roundheads. They did it because it wasn't "Christian enough." Nowadays, it is being "edited for content," out of the fear that it actually might be more Christian that Cromwell & company gave it credit for.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Today in therapy I learned that my holiday depression stems from my disappointment over never getting the Red Ryder BB gun I wanted back in the 50s.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts
Today in therapy I learned that my holiday depression stems from my disappointment over never getting the Red Ryder BB gun I wanted back in the 50s.

Oh, man...I do so relate to that. If it hadn't been for the Daisy I got when I was 7 (in 1954), I would be a poorer laddie for certain. That little popper made my work ethic. I was driven at an early age to acculmulate a 'knuckle full of nickles' from the farmers around me by ridding their barns of pidgeons. A 22 would have punched holes in their rooves and so wasn't very good for the job.

Karma dictates, though, that I should pay a price (and I do)...I buy only black vehicles so that pidgeons may feel glee at their generous daily donations.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I was a psych major for about 2 years ... Untill I got so inquisitive as to why we were being taught things that were not applicable to every situation ... We were being taught Hypothesis ... and told that they were the answer when they were not even and Educated Guess anymore ... because later on in the book it would just contredict itself .... I guess it is good to have some understanding on something ... but the real understanding is with morals and Good up bringing although some people just can't admit things that had happend to them ... It is hard to study someone that will never tell you the whole truth either because that is apart of thier life that was meant to forget ... because as you all know we EVOLVE and as we have evolved our bodies have learned exactly what are minds can handle .... Although I call it god ... many people call it Evolution .... Anyways ... i should leave this thread .... So have a wonderful holiday ....

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts
In fairness, this sounds more like a statue is being built. Craftsman, chisel, hammer and nails? "Shapes it with his chisel" = carving.

Actually, you both have it wrong. The quote from the bible is as follows: "They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." - Jeremiah 10:4

It's more of a securing it in one position type deal. Anyway, it's all stemming from Pagan-Germanic traditions.

As to being offended by trees? Eh, not so much. Perhaps when people attempt to throw unsubstantiated evidence in my direction regarding their respective religious traditions; I might get slightly perturbed.

Hmm, come to think of it, since it's become second nature at this point, I haven't observed a religious holiday in ages.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Regardless of the origins of the Christmas tree, the use of an evergreen does symbolize the important Christian value of everlasting life and the tradition of gift giving represents the gift of the Son by the Father.

It should be remembered, I think, that Christmas is about the most inclusive holy day in all the world. Whether or not one is Christian or even atheist, the concept of peace on earth, good will toward men should be something that can be shared freely. What other religion invites the whole world to participate to the extent their beliefs allow.

In this case, the athiests are the scrooges. They just can't bear to see people enjoying themselves in the name of something greater than themselves.

[edit on 2005/12/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
In this case, the athiests are the scrooges. They just can't bear to see people enjoying themselves in the name of something greater than themselves.

Of all the people who actually answered the question (are you offended by Christmas trees?) only a couple answered yes, and those were for other reasons. We don't hate you for your holidays.

The idea that non-Christians are offended by Christmas trees is simply a fantasy. It's the Christians who are offended when non-Christians want to call it something else.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
You asked if anyone was offended by Christmas trees, not trees. If one is not offended by Christmas trees, why would anyone want to change the name. An evergreen tree decorated with ornaments and garlands at Christmastime is a Christmas trees.

No other tradition celebrates in such a way at this time of year. Your logic is about as twisted as it can get. Calling it a holiday tree is utterly ignorant since the tree is not used as a symbol of Hannakah, Ramadan, or Kwanzaa, but in fact, members of those religions are welcome to adopt that tradition if they so choose.

The question is really why the tree cannot be called what it has always been called without there being an outcry from people who believe in nothing greater than themselves.

[edit on 2005/12/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Or maybe we were brought up thinking that the christmas tree belongs to all of us americans, and well, all of a sudden it belongs to the christians??? just like our nation is now a christian nation, and our marriages are christian also?

many have pointed out the pagan origins of the christmas tree. and well, to be honest, I think that the popes wanted to win over some people, and well, started giving religous meanings to their "pagan" holidays. Just out of curiousity, when do they celebrate Christmas, and Easter below the equator. these were originally celebrations of the equinoxes, and well, Easter is spring, Chirstmas is winter......which are totally opposite once you cross the equator....just wondering....why they would celebrate with all these symbols that represent seasons they aren't experiencing....unless the original meanings have been lost?

The Christians seem to be claiming alot as their own, to dictate just what they are, how they should be...........but, well, just about all people had something similar to marriage, and celebrated the passing of seasons, long before christianity came into the picture. They usually had laws telling them not to steal or kill also.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
dawnstar - Very good points.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If one is not offended by Christmas trees, why would anyone want to change the name.

Well, preference could be a reason. Maybe they want to have a tree in their home and celebrate the winter solstice. Is it ok with you if they call it a solstice tree? Please?

No other tradition celebrates in such a way at this time of year.

This is incorrect. Many people celebrate at this time of year, not just Christians. They have traditions, too.

Your logic is about as twisted as it can get. Calling it a holiday tree is utterly ignorant since the tree is not used as a symbol of Hannakah, Ramadan, or Kwanzaa, but in fact, members of those religions are welcome to adopt that tradition if they so choose.

Attack my logic all you wish, I think it's fairly sound.

If people are free as you say to adopt the tradition of having a tree in their home, are they free to call the tree what they wish, too? And I'm not just talking about people of other religions, I mean people with no religions or a spirituality that doesn't conform to established religions and traditions.

The question is really why the tree cannot be called what it has always been called without there being an outcry from people who believe in nothing greater than themselves.

Why, you ask? Because they don't want to. They want to call it something else. Something that is appropriate to them. Why isn't that ok? You call it what you like and they call it what they like. What's the problem there?

And many of these people DO believe in something greater than themselves, they're perhaps just not entrenched in the Christian religion.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
we haven't had any ornamented tree during the month of December in quite a few years but, when we did, we usually referred to it as "the Giant Cat Playground Dropping Needles on the Carpet"...I hope that didn't offend anyone.

Seriously, this holiday, like it or not, and no matter who stole it from whom, now belongs to everybody to do with what they like (which includes ignoring it or grumping about it) - it's just as much fun for me as it ever was and it has never really had anything to do with Christianity as far as I was concerned. Even growing up as a good little Southern Baptist boy and having to listen to the Bible story and visit the Nativity scenes and such, it was always just "whatever, let's have presents and eat tasty foods!".

One thing about this whole holiday - never in my life have I ever enjoyed "Christmas music" - not the religious or the secular!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Does anyone have any conspiracy theories on these crazy upside-down Christmas trees I've been hearing about? I suppose they'd look cool in a dorm room after hours but maybe there is more going on???

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   

See, an authority always "edits out" the ugly stuff, in order to make a sale. In the process of doing so, they are telling a lie, and trying to convince you that "we are more alike than different," but doing so by lying to you.

Yeah like the inquisition,witch burnings, etc, etc,etc,. . BTW the Holy Office of the Inquisition is not gone. They just changed their name to protect the guilty.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Cug
No problem with Christmas trees here. BIG PROBLEM with holiday trees! ICK!

See, like I said, most people aren't offended by Christmas Trees. The people who are all up in arms are the ones taking offense to the Holiday Trees. I'd like to see a thread called:

Is There Anyone Out There Who's Really Offended by Holiday Trees?

I bet there'd be a lot more "Yes!" responses than here.

Yes. That term is TERRIBLY offensive. And of course, if someone called it a Holiday Tree, the first response would be,
"Holiday Tree? For what holiday?"
"For Christmas, of course."
"Oh." She pauses to think for a moment. "Then why not call it a Christmas Tree?"
"Not really sure. Care for a holiday cookie?"

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Ahhhh, Christmas.

Funny thing about Christmas and I. I celebrate Christmas, but I am probably the kind of person you all loooooooove to hate. I am the purely commercialized Christmas celebrator. I have my traditional family present opening at 8AM, under my gaudy Christmas tree, complete with all of the traditional Christmas treats (cookies, candy canes, and the like). My children do not know any different, although they go to Christmas Eve Mass with my husband.

But not I. Oh no. See, that's when I wrap all of the gifts. My husband is Christian, as are my baptized children, but I, the "athiest" (as if I need a title-but I am really agnostic-yes, there IS a difference) stays at home to make Christmas "special" for my family.

I also work at a Christian organization (in the IT department), and happily tell everyone I know "Merry Christmas". We have Secret Santa, and decorate the halls and offices. I do not say "Happy Holidays".

Oh, and for a great take on Christmas, listen to this. I couldn't agree more! (WARNING! The link will take you to a site that uses "indecent" language. DO NOT CLICK if easily offended!)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Yes. That term is TERRIBLY offensive. And of course, if someone called it a Holiday Tree, the first response would be,
"Holiday Tree? For what holiday?"
"For Christmas, of course."
"Oh." She pauses to think for a moment. "Then why not call it a Christmas Tree?"
"Not really sure. Care for a holiday cookie?"

One could call it the sun GOD tree. Why offended by Holday tree? I get offended by members of the gov't telling me what religion to follow. GOD knows better.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater

One could call it the sun GOD tree. Why offended by Holday tree? I get offended by members of the gov't telling me what religion to follow. GOD knows better.

I call it a solstice tree. Sun God tree works well too.Yule tree is ok too.

I still find it funny that Christians celebrate Christmas and really think their god was born on that day, even though everyone knows it was the birthday of the Sun God, not the son of God.

Yule is alot more fun anyway, and alot less depressing, I think.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
yes, i am offended by christmas trees. why? because its now placed beside the computer and its full of dust. my skin itches right now because of the artificial leaves touching my skin and i want to scream "throw this christmas tree out!"... bye dudes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join