It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Anyone Out There Who's Really Offended by Christmas Trees?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I find the whole holiday of Christmas highly offensive and obnoxious.

Im sure many people find Christmas and all its imagery offensive. Why do you think there is such a spike in suicides during this time?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
[....]
Im sure many people find Christmas and all its imagery offensive. Why do you think there is such a spike in suicides during this time?

Depression rises in many individuals as the cold weather digs in, often to less time outside and less exercise. Also, depression is a problem for many during any holiday season as it is often a time to miss departed loved ones or due to a lack of satisfying relationships or intimacy.

No one ever killed themselves over a santa Furby with a pointed candy cane while listening to the Beach Boys.

[edit on 5-12-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's extremely difficult to offend me. It requires intent to offend and must be directed specifically toward me, personally. Also helps if the offender knows me personally. Otherwise, I can ignore it, blow it off, and move on. [Actually I blow it off, even where there is intent. Life's too short to look for reasons to be offended. I'd rather expend my energies elsewhere.
]

I love Christmas, the season, and almost everything associated with it. Falalalala lala lalaaaaaaaaaaa!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have not read anyone's posts just the title of the thread, and the original writing. NO, I'm not offended by Christmas trees. Any PRIVATE institution or enterprise can have all they want. However, I do not think it is necessary for the government to have to prop up GOD. Actually, it is GOD who should help in proping of the government. There is a "tree"mendous difference, lol.

Again, much ado about nothing. The "poor ole Christian" me feeling persecuted over something they should not feel persecuted about. I would wager Jesus probably smacks himself on the forehead every 10 seconds this hogwash is brought about.

link   
Right there with ya, yeahright.

*putting on gay apparell---not that there's anything wrong with that!*

link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts

Depression rises in many individuals as the cold weather digs in, often to less time outside and less exercise. Also, depression is a problem for many during any holiday season as it is often a time to miss departed loved ones or due to a lack of satisfying relationships or intimacy.

No one ever killed themselves over a santa Furby with a pointed candy cane while listening to the Beach Boys.

[edit on 5-12-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

Winter blues does indeed claim people, but it spikes dramatically during the holidays. So does domestic violence.

And to people who have had miserable Christmas memories, Christmas decorations and crap can set them off quite easily.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Sure, there are people who become depressed this time of the year, no doubt. I feel bad for them. It is a shame that they fall into a deep blue funk to the point that they smoke a .45.

I like this time of the year, not because of the Christmas tree, or the silly and gawdy lights strung up on houses or any of that stuff, but the fact that you can be nice and send someone a present without it looking a bit goofy. You can commit random acts of niceness and simply blame it on the Yuletide time of the year.

Now, evil elf, go and do something nice!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
*putting on gay apparell---not that there's anything wrong with that!*

Okay, now I'm offended.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I'm offended that you're offended by my seasonally correct post.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Personally, I think the high rates of depression have more to do with S.A.D. (Seasonally Affected Depression?) than thinking about your bank account after boxing day, and I hardly think it's the light decorations around the neighbourhood.

People just naturally get blue when there's a lack of sunshine, especially in the northern latitudes. Above the 60th parallel, where the sun literally disappears for a few weeks, the incidence of 'cabin fever' spikes. Cabin fever sucks...I know!

It goes to show you how much we need that daily hit of sunshine.

And, to keep on topic...I'm still not disgusted by decorating Christmas trees or whatever the word is today. Tomay-tos to-mahtos potay-tos ptah-tos...who cares asd long as it makes us feel better?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I am not the slightest bit offended at the clear and blantant theft by the Christian Church of the pagan tradition of holiday tree worship...

Copying is the finest form of flattery to be found... and it ain't like its trademarked or anything...

Besides, where would we be, without the yearly antics of our cats getting caught in the tree lights?
oh so christmassy...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Supports the ironic "Christianity Under Fire" spin that the media is developing right now.

It is not the media that is developing the spin. It is the "Poor Ole Christian Me" people. The problem lies with the great amount of disinformation out there right now. Thus retailers now take a cautious approach.

Just keep "Christ" and any other religion out of the government. Private enterprises and institutions can have all the trees, manger scenes, angels, or whatever they wish in plain view!!!!!

"Christians" in their rush to show how persecuted they are do begin to become persecuted because people like this true Christian don't want to hear their whining.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Sure, there are people who become depressed this time of the year, no doubt. I feel bad for them. It is a shame that they fall into a deep blue funk to the point that they smoke a .45.

I like this time of the year, not because of the Christmas tree, or the silly and gawdy lights strung up on houses or any of that stuff, but the fact that you can be nice and send someone a present without it looking a bit goofy. You can commit random acts of niceness and simply blame it on the Yuletide time of the year.

Now, evil elf, go and do something nice!

Hmmmmmm........your right. Especially about sending presents! My noisy former neighbors seemed to enjoy hammering at all hours of the night....maybe a nice nail bomb will keep them supplied with all the hammering utensils they could ever want!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by Dr_Strangecraft
I'm offended that you're offended by my seasonally correct post.

can we at least all agree that the Colts' offense rules the planet at this point in time? And actually, the defense looks pretty good, too.

Can it be a coincidence that football season and Christmas overlap? The Colts will punish the Seahawks on Christmas Eve, where I'll be sitting in front of a roaring fire, nog in hand, elegantly decorated tree in the corner, basking in the glow of my adoring family. Except for my 15 year old daughter, who may very well try to poison me for ruining her life because I won't let her act 25. But that's another story.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
obviously yes, but not me.

I'm a Hindu who has spent every Christmas during my life with a Christmas tree and lots of presents underneath. My Muslim relatives also celebrate christmas, with the tree, santa claus, the whole nine yards. Even though our religions may not agree with the Christian doctrine, Christmas goes beyond religion for people like us...we see it as a time for sharing and showing you care...so whether it be Christmas, Hannukah, Eid or Holi that was promoted to the commercial holiday that Christmas now is, we'd all still be celebrating it.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
I am not the slightest bit offended at the clear and blantant theft by the Christian Church of the pagan tradition of holiday tree worship...

Copying is the finest form of flattery to be found... and it ain't like its trademarked or anything...

Besides, where would we be, without the yearly antics of our cats getting caught in the tree lights?
oh so christmassy...

IM NOT BOTHERED BY THAT ASPECT OF IT EITHER.

What bothers me about Christmas:

1. Christmas carols
2. Incessant Christmas advertizing and psychotic shopping behavior.
3. Workplace parties involving red hats and making copies of your ass on the Xerox machine
4. Bright lights from the neighbors Christmas display shining through my window and annoying me with their epilepsy inducing blink patterns.
5. The guilt factor people put on you for not getting them presents or cards, even though you have told them flat out you aint celebrating. I call such enforcers of Holiday Cheer Christmas Nazis.
6. A long history of very unhappy family get togethers at Christmas involving frequent visits by the cops to the house, and frequent visits by the family to the county drunk tank.
7. My birthday comes after Christmas, and as such, everyone pretty much ignored my birthday or half assed aknowldged it. As a pagan, I find it offensive that a jewish rebel from 2,000 years ago has a birthday more special than mine. And Im talking about ATHIEST friends.

8. Christmas food sucks. Egg Nogg, Fruitcake, Figgy Pudding, and annoying chocolate effigies of Santa should be served to prisoners in guantanamo bay along with Barney music for REAL torture.
9. Everything closes on Christmas, so you have no place to go when you want to get away from all the annoying Christmas Cheer at home, from all the annoying guests your family has invited over.
10. I finding nothing more disturbing than a fat old geezer in a red suit who likes little kids sitting on his lap, and who enslaves elves to work in his Christmas sweatshops to provide all the worlds brats with Go-Bots and Furbies.

BAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HUMBUG!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
can we at least all agree that the Colts' offense rules the planet at this point in time? And actually, the defense looks pretty good, too.

Oh PULEEEZEEEEEEEEE!

Can it be a coincidence that football season and Christmas overlap? The Colts will punish the Seahawks on Christmas Eve, where I'll be sitting in front of a roaring fire, nog in hand, elegantly decorated tree in the corner, basking in the glow of my adoring family.

The Colts will Punish the Seahawks? Now I think, dear sir, you have drunk ENTIRELY too much egg nogg, or have been smoking something santa left in last years stocking! The Seahawks shall give the Colts a little Christmas Cheer right up the kiester....no vaseline included.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
The Colts will Punish the Seahawks? Now I think, dear sir, you have drunk ENTIRELY too much egg nogg, or have been smoking something santa left in last years stocking! The Seahawks shall give the Colts a little Christmas Cheer right up the kiester....no vaseline included.

I understand. The season's got you in a funk and has clouded your reasoning. I recommend you take a child shopping, maybe visit some nursing home occupants, have a little cocoa. It'll be ok. Once you've come back to reality and embraced the season, you won't be so depressed when the Colts jackhammer the Seahawks into submission.
Cheers!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
well, let's see.....

every year around the time of the winter equinox, a large protion of the population celebrates the Birth of Christ.....even though he wasn't born anyhwere close to this time. And, well, as the story goes, Christ is the Son of God, sent here to earth, for our salvation. So, he lives his life on earth, and because we all have sinned and need salvation, well, he must die a horrible death......okay, not saying I am buying it, but I will acknowledge that many believe it.... Okay, so, to celebrate his birth, we should go out and sacrifice some poor christmas tree, bring it home, decorate it and make it pretty, and well.......it's still DEAD!!

The son of God, or at least one of the greatest philosophers, susposedly visited earth and offered to teach us and lead us to the truth......and, it offended so many, so much, that they killed him.....which of course throughout time, had to be adorned with some type of pretty story, or else it's really a horrible ending to a story.....at least one you want to build a religion on. There had to be a reason for the death! Other than, hey, we really messed up here. But well, what if He was here, offering us the chance to bring the kingdom of God to earth, and, well, there were just too many who really didn't want it once they began learning a little of what it was?

So, anyway, now, we go out and make another sacrifice, even though well, Christ was the last one, and we bring it home, and try like heck to make death look pretty, in memory of a Great Prophet and Philosopher, if not the Son of God himself, who's murder we are still trying to make into this beutiful act of God, for our salvation.
and, then, of course........It's time to spend alot of money, and expect alot in return!!!!

na, I'm not offended by the Christmas trees, it's the senseless killing that kind of bugs me.....

Cug

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
No problem with Christmas trees here. BIG PROBLEM with holiday trees! ICK! I'd bet any stores using that name also sells nativity scenes. What do they call them "baby in a manger diorama?" or maybe "rustic dollhouses?"

I have no problem with government buildings having Christmas trees in all their secular glory. I would have a problem if they also had a nativity scene to go along with it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join