It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
so do we! prob NSFW

And start 'em young!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
That looks like a boy to me.

Ahhhhh yes, the sweet, young, cherub-like soccer hooligan!
He just learned how to give another fan the bird. He hasn't reached the urine bag hurling stage yet.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

Originally posted by DodgeG1
I could go on with Baseball aswell ....

Or Rounders as it is called in girls schools all over the UK.

LMFAO! Ahh, what a great come back.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
American sports are designed to be TV friendly with advertisers. In truth, the rest of the world couldn't give a monkeys uncle about American Football, Basketball, or Baseball. To the rest of the world, they are nothing but obscure novelty sports and on par with the World Egg Sucking Championships.

Football (known as Soccer in the US) is the true sport of the world.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Dr. love talking about bring out a can of baseball whooparse on us. How about I pull out the Nascar can of whooparse on ya'll?

Think you can sling one of these cars around the track 200 miles an hour at a place like Talladega? Or can you even think about handling the power?!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well, I usually don't get into sport discussions, but I couldn't resist this one.

I'll say that I do enjoy watching American Football, which I agree could use a change of name, and its really the only sport I watch. It does have to many breaks and commercials during it. It does need the pads, because they do hit hard.

I played soccer or "proper football" as some want to call it when I was younger. It was fun. I did enjoy playing it, but I can't stand to watch it. It is boring to watch.

Never played rugby and haven't watched it either. But from what I've read and seen, it is a rough sport. I've a friend that played it in highschool and had to quit because he blew out his knee. That reminds me of another friend that played American Football in highschool also and nearly blew out his knee in practice due to some jerks wanting to "teach him a lesson" for be smart ass.

Never heard of this "aussie rules" though, is it a form of rugby or football or something?

I do agree what was said about liking the sports you are most familiar with. Of course you're going to be more fond of stuff you grow up with.

I also think you shouldn't judge a sport that you haven't played a good game of. So who has played them all?

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Couple of comments:

To tommyc: Baseball is Huge in Japan, Korea, and much of Latin America, do those places not count? By the way to me baseball is like cricket, watching it on TV is torture going to the game and having some beers, talking trash to other fans etc. is good times.

And Basketball is becoming big in many places look at the amount off Europeans in the NBA, I mean hey it is the national sport of Turkey!

American Football, yeah noboby gives a poo about that, except maybe canada.

To Gimmiefootball400: Dude NASCAR is the worst form of motorsport ive ever come across. I can drive in a circle. What about Formula 1 (the pinnacle of technology and drivers) World Rally Cross, or even some motocross and if your'e talking stamina what about 24 of Le Mans etc.

To hatchedcross: Check out some Aussie Rules if you can, it is pretty cool except for the shorts.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
dr strange, there is only one thing left for this

im going to find something, and get an afidavit stateing that nfl players couldnt last in aussie rules, but an aussie rules player could last in nfl, and they have proven it before

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I'm suprised and somewhat dismayed that some of our American cousins have heard of Mr D.Beckham. Thats globalisation for you I suppose.

Anyway...a few points -

Soccer, as you call it, employs the legendary 'Magic Sponge'...BEAT THAT!!!

Gridiron is played indoors...ya big fannys.

When rugby players brawl there ain't no padding to cushion the blows...they are real men.

Oh, and Aussie rules doesn't count as the convicts, sorry, Australians, could start a brawl in a monastery...it's just in their blood!

The only thing about all of these sports is the use of communal washing facilities...make of that what you will.

Now, this is a real sport -

"THE COMBATANTS, stripped for the contest, were struggling together in a surging and confused heap, the ball in the midst of them. Someone had it tightly clutched in his arms and the rest of the players - numbering 100 or so - were knotted around him, pushing and bawling and twisting and kicking."

That is not an eyewitness account of a riot but an account of one game of a traditional Workington 'sport,' called Uppies and Downies.

Uppies and Downies does not have any organisers, no rules to speak of, no time limits and no restriction on numbers per side. Uppies were traditionally born above The Cloffocks and downies below. In the pre-television era, crowds of 30,000 were not unknown, especially for a deciding rubber.

30,000!!!!

Four players are known to have drowned but the number is probably higher because newspaper reports of the games only go back to 1775.
The last to die was 20-year-old Robert William Storey, of Harrington Road, Workington, who drowned in the River Derwent - despite attempts to save him - as darkness fell during the Tuesday game of April 5, 1983.

Its been a while since anyone died...they've obviously calmed down a bit.

Damage to property is rare and the days when the ball spilled into the town centre - and even into the Ritz Cinema where a film was showing on one occasion in the late 1960s - are probably over.

LOL...How many other sports spill over into the town centre?

Link

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

LOL...How many other sports spill over into the town centre?

erm....hooliganism?

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommyc

but sence when has the american public gave a flying f*** about what the rest of the world thinks?

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Oh, and Aussie rules doesn't count as the convicts, sorry, Australians, could start a brawl in a monastery...it's just in their blood

Oh yeah is that right?
You, me ,carpark now. It aint a monastery but it will do

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
okay....

football - soccer - american football are games NOT SPORT!

oni x x

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oni x x
okay....

oni x x

Okay then, smartypants, whats a sport? Buying shoes, applying lippy...suprise me!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
american football would be good if it didnt take them 20 minutes between plays. and if john madden didnt say boom every 2 minutes.

canadian football is better.

As a fellow Canadian, and follower of the CFL and NFL. Not counting this years Grey cup which was outstanding. 4 down football in the NFL compared to 3 down in the CFL, makes the game much better. The CFL has never heard of a running game, with only 3 downs to work with its all passing. Which makes it easier for the defense when they do not have to worry about a RB coming through. The Falcons would destory CFL teams with the talent they have with WR's, Vick and Dunn as a threat to run it. NFL is much more enjoyable.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan

Originally posted by Oni x x
okay....

oni x x

Okay then, smartypants, whats a sport? Buying shoes, applying lippy...suprise me!!!!

This may be an appropriate time to invite all contributors to the "sister site" Sportz Tawk, and (ahem) an interesting related thread-

www.sportztawk.com...

Please come and join us.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
C O L T S, COLTS, COLTS, COLTS!!!!!

Here are your Super Bowl 40 Champions! They could go undefeated, but if someone beats them, they still gonna win it all!

By the way, Formula 1 has too many damn rules. Only one rule in Nascar, cheat if you have to, but don't get caught doing it. Just ask Darrel Waltrip.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyc
American sports are designed to be TV friendly with advertisers. In truth, the rest of the world couldn't give a monkeys uncle about American Football, Basketball, or Baseball. To the rest of the world, they are nothing but obscure novelty sports and on par with the World Egg Sucking Championships.

Wow...you've never, ever been outside the US, I am guessing. In mainland Europe, the NFL, NBA, MLBA, and NASCAR are incredibly popular. Incredibly.

But in all fairness, football (ie soccer) is the number one spectator sport in the world. There is not just "one" kind of football at all....thinking that there is is as blind as saying that people outside the states don't care for US sports.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
C O L T S, COLTS, COLTS, COLTS!!!!!

Here are your Super Bowl 40 Champions! They could go undefeated, but if someone beats them, they still gonna win it all!

Ohh yeah.

Super Bowl XL here we come! If you're shot for that, they better save a couple rounds for me. Warning- a non fatal wound will only make me mad.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The only reason that Nascar has become popular throughout the world is because of the P.R. blitz they did during the late 1990's. Exhibition races at the Suzuka Circuitland in Japan. Obtaining a worldwide audience viewing the Daytona 500. Yes, even some of the drivers have went over to Europe the past few years to compete in the Race Of Champions against the best drivers from Europe and around the World.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join