It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i'd like to see an AMERICAN football team play the REAL football without collapsing from exhaustion...

it's a physically demanding sport where you're in until you're subbed out. there are no breaks until the half, and there's no switching out once you're no longer on the offensive. when they say 90 min, they mean just a bit over 90 min (not 90 min of actual play with breaks interspersed)

also, violence doesn't = manliness

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I agree, 90+ minutes (with a 15 minute break) is physically demanding.

I was a goalkeeper back in the day and I remember playing during winter mornings... man, you should have seen my knees! The grass was frozen and the constant diving around didn't do to well for my precious knees; it was like sliding across razor blades.

[edit on 9-12-2005 by xeroxed88]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i'd like to see an AMERICAN football team play the REAL football without collapsing from exhaustion...

First off, American football players wouldn't lower themselves to playing a game where the only physicality involved was tripping. Second, if it's all about not collapsing from exhaustion then I guess you could round-up a whole bunch of Kenyan marathoners and cut them loose on a soccer field and it would be just as exciting.

The World Football League (American football) is taking off in Europe. You will all be assimilated in time.

Peace

[edit on 9-12-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

First off, American football players wouldn't lower themselves to playing a game where the only physicality involved was tripping. Second, if it's all about not collapsing from exhaustion then I guess you could round-up a whole bunch of Kenyan marathoners and cut them loose on a soccer field and it would be just as exciting.

No your right, they prefer the physicality of running full tilt & head first into another equally armoured nuckle head. Way to go Einsteins, as if the steroids haven't already caused enough damage. And you could play four hours of commercials, occasionaly breaking to show 5 minutes of action, followed by 10 minutes of dancing girls and it would be just as.........oh wait

The World Football League (American football) is taking off in Europe. You will all be assimilated in time.

Peace

[edit on 9-12-2005 by Dr Love]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......*GASP FOR AIR*...........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I take it you wont be watching the draw for the World Cup then? (3pm EST) You know, the World Cup, that only needs to be called THE World Cup for everyone to know what you mean? Not a 'world series' the USA plays against itself

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
world cup... Is that golf or something?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
world cup... Is that golf or something?

I know youre having a laugh but just in case...

There are several World Cups, the largest being Football (soccer), Rugby, and Cricket. But when somebody says "The World Cup" there talking about Football. It is the worlds largest sporting event and along with the Olympics the worlds largest unifier.

Who would of thunk it there is a whole world going on outside the cocoon that is the U.S. of A.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Er... are you forgetting something here? US football is a TOTALLY different game altogether! You cannot possibly ever ever try and compare both English/US football, it's like trying to compare figure skating with boxing. The only thing they both have in common is the fact that their both called "football".

You can say things about our players and them taking a little tackle and hurting them selfs compared to the big knocks of the NFL, because one is a contact sport and the other isn't. English football isn't designed to take tackles like US football is. In any case, if you've never had a two footed tackle that hits your ankle, you'll never know the pain you can get from it. If you get a torn cruciate ligament, achilles injury, dead leg, sprained ankle, any smaller injuries can totally kill your game for days to months, and when your getting paid £90,000+ per week you simply cannot afford to get injured other wise you risk getting dropped from the first team and/or national team, potentially loosing sponsorship etc etc.

[edit on 12/12/05 by Towards Omega]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
xeroxed88 and maddnessinmysoul once again aussie rules proves it is better.

the average game goes for at least 100 minutes.

and our players on average run at least 50 persent further then you do (rough guess)

i know for sure over 15 km is common in aussie rules, but over 10 is exceptional for a game of soccer.

so ha take that

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sorry but rugby is REAL football IMO, it's American football without all the sissified gear ... and is more exciting to watch and fun to play (especially with cute kiwi boy's woowoo). But it's those camera angles that wins this battle for me and for all females who like our men big

I would LOVE to see American footballers without the shoulderpads and ugly stuff on though

ooh la la

[edit on 13-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Can't believe I just came upon this thread. Rugby is much better than American Football, it's got a lot of things the popular sport lacks.

Here's why American Football sucks and why soccer is infinitely better:

1. Football players need mass and strength. Soccer players need agility, speed, strength, and skill.
2. Football players are (aside from the QB) unspecific. You've got 40 guys on the field for offense, then 40 guys on the field for defense. In soccer, you've got 9 guys playing the entire field.
3. Football is played like this: 5 seconds of play, 2 minutes of setup, 5 seconds of play, 2 minutes of play, etc. Soccer is played like this: 100 minutes of play.
4. The world cup is the most watched game on television.
5. The entire world is NOT wrong.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
also the world cup is played on the national level, the nfl plays on a franchise level. the super bowl is one national game played every year, the world cup is a multinational tournament pitting the best against the best that takes place every 4 years. why 4? because it's a momentous occassion, not another change to a roman numerialed logo!

also, pele could literally kick the head off of any of those ground beef heads you call athletes!

:bash:

also, soccer riots! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[edit on 13-12-2005 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

1. Football players need mass and strength. Soccer players need agility, speed, strength, and skill.
2. Football players are (aside from the QB) unspecific. You've got 40 guys on the field for offense, then 40 guys on the field for defense. In soccer, you've got 9 guys playing the entire field.
3. Football is played like this: 5 seconds of play, 2 minutes of setup, 5 seconds of play, 2 minutes of play, etc. Soccer is played like this: 100 minutes of play.

You don't know "anything" about American football do you? I don't claim either sport to be better then another... but this made me laugh a bit.

One thing about soccer.. yes on the world level it is the most popular sport. Mainly because it can be played in 3rd world countries where buying the equipment required to properly play sports like Football and Ice Hockey is not feasible. Basketball seems to be catching on pretty quickly in a lot of these countries as well.

[edit on 13-12-2005 by LostSailor]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
You don't know "anything" about American football do you? I don't claim either sport to be better then another... but this made me laugh a bit.

Why'd it make you laugh? It's all true, and the only thing funny is how sad American Football is.

One thing about soccer.. yes on the world level it is the most popular sport. Mainly because it can be played in 3rd world countries where buying the equipment required to properly play sports like Football and Ice Hockey is not feasible. Basketball seems to be catching on pretty quickly in a lot of these countries as well.

The only thing you need to play football is a ball and a field. Same as soccer, except your ball doesn't need to be round. And, while a pickup soccer game may be fun, a pickup football game will be much more rewarding than any professional football game.

College football owns, only because college students are drunk and have too much time on their hands, and therefore create huge spectacles.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Sorry to be annoying but in "Soccer", there are 11 people on a team, including 1 goalkeeper. One match lasts 90 minutes, but then extra time is added to account for the ball being out of play. (Throw-ins, corners, etc.)

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
lol
I cant believe people on here actually think american football is better than proper football(NOT SOCCER AS AMERICANS LIKE TO CALL IT ).
Why hasent american football caught on anywhere else in the world if is so good- answer because its crap!!!!!!
Also it must be the most boring thing to watch in the world as each
quarter takes about 150 million days to complete due to the constant stopping of play,flag on the pitch or whatever else you want to call it.
Its not a game of skill except propably the qb,its just a game americans teach the bullys and idiots in school to keep them out of trouble

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Explain to me again how running backs and wide receivers don't need agility, speed, and skill? We've got receivers with world class speed, you know, like sprinters in the Olympics!
Agility? How does a running back run into the mass of humanity that is the offensive and defensive line and come out the other side without agility? Does Barry Sanders ring any bells? I'll put American football players up against any soccer players in any of those categories and there wouldn't be a contest.

2. Football players are (aside from the QB) unspecific. You've got 40 guys on the field for offense, then 40 guys on the field for defense.

I don't understand what you're saying. You've got 11 players on offense and you've got 11 players on defense. The positions are very specific.

All I can say about this is look at the final scores of both sports. Scoring is exciting, not endless running. Even Forrest Gump got tired of that eventually. 100 minutes of play? More like a hundred minutes of nothing.

Can't argue with that. It's one of the great mysteries of the universe.

I didn't say they were wrong, I just said they didn't know any better.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Plus don't they add time for an injury to a player that has to be taken off the field? I most certainly think that they do. Then my question is if auto racing in general is an inferior sport, then why in the hell do more people attend auto races than what they do football games?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I love football. Good ol' American football. Maybe because I grew up with it and associate it with the fall, and Sundays with the family. And it is "our" sport. When I was a kid, I never missed a Chicago Bears game on TV, and for most of the '60s and '70s the Bears were um...not very good.

Now, the Colts are the hometown team, and having a year of historic proportions. And I'm into it, BIG TIME. So, for you soccer fans, hope you're enjoying "your" sport as much as I am mine.

ColtsColtsColts!

Ohh yeah, this is Indiana, so naturally I love basketball, too.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

But.. this isn't true at all man. I'm sorry...

1. You really think that "all" football players need are mass and strength? Even those 300 pound offensive linemen need to have skill, be fast, and quite agile to run block for the running back.
2. How are football players unspecific? You have 11 players on the field for defense and 11 on offense. With each player having a very specific job to do. Why do you think they call them wide-receivers, tight-ends, fullbacks, running backs, corners, safeties, defensive Ends, tackles, etc.?
3. Ok... a given play may only last 5-10 seconds I'll admit that... but there is only 30 (maybe 40) seconds on the play clock in between snaps. That time is needed to organize 11 people to their specific tasks on the next pay. If one person out of all 11 players makes a single mistake the play is over.

Soccer is popular in 3rd world countries because they can afford to play it competitively. Sure.. all you need is a ball and a field to play football. But if you were to compete on a global level you need the proper equipment. Something that poorer countries can't afford. Soccer will catch on in the US eventually... I think they did pretty well in the last World Cup and quite a few Americans tuned in.

Soccer is also a great sport as far as strategy goes... You can't play every team the same way and expect to win. Much the same with football. Everyone here is trying to compare the two... But pardon the ol' cliche... Its like comparing apples to oranges. You can't.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Plus don't they add time for an injury to a player that has to be taken off the field? I most certainly think that they do. Then my question is if auto racing in general is an inferior sport, then why in the hell do more people attend auto races than what they do football games?

Whats wrong with adding extra time due to injuries? Most games it'll be around 2 minutes per half. Odd exceptions maybe 5 to 9 minutes. And who said motor racing is inferior? NASCAR is without a doubt but other motor sports aren't. And are you talking football or the pointyball thing you play? If its pointyball then you know the answer. If its football then no sport even comes near in the amount of spectators.
If you take England as an example, there are 92 profesional teams in the leagues, with attendences ranging from around 5000 in the lower leagues upto around 55-60,000 in the Premiership.
So if you take that, and combine them with attendence figures from the 207 countries that make up FIFA, I doubt you'll find many spectator sports that compare. Probably only F1 counting its TV audience could do it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join