It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stem cell treatment reverses diabetes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

BUENOS AIRES : Millions of diabetics worldwide could put insulin injections behind them if a stem cell treatment that Argentine physicians have successfully used to reverse the disease confirms promising early results.

The treatment, in which stem cells are injected into the pancreas, does not involve risks of rejection, requires no prolonged inpatient treatment, and any physician trained in and skilled with catheterization could perform it, cardiologist Roberto Fernandez Vina told AFP.

Fernandez Vina leads the team that successfully carried out the first implant of its kind January 3 on an insulin-dependent diabetic patient at San Nicolas Hospital in the town of San Nicolas, north of Buenos Aires.

The 42-year-old man, who had been insulin dependent since the age of 25, so far has seen his glucose levels return to normal with no need for medication.

Found at: www.channelnewsasia.com...

It appears all the major diseases: cancer, heart disease, diabetes all relate to issues with the pancreas. If the problems with the pancreas can be fixed...the disease can be eradicated. In researching all these diseases, one common factor keeps popping up: the PANCREAS!!

People with diabetes have a shortage in the pancreas of so-called beta cells, which have the task of producing insulin, with which the body regulates glucose levels in the blood.

Introducing "copy-making" cells in the pancreas generates beta cell production, thereby increasing the production of insulin needed to balance the patient's glucose level.

Intersting stuff which I will research further!

[edit on 15-10-2005 by XanaX]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Adult Stem Cells for Diabetes Treatment. US scientists believe they could use brain stem cells to cure diabetes.

US scientists believe they have found a way to use brain stem cells to "cure" diabetes. Although the work is not yet ready to be tested on human patients, results in animals have been promising, say the Stanford University researchers.

The rest of the text found here: www.blogicus.com...

and more info here: news.bbc.co.uk...

Transplants could ultimately remove the need for daily insulin injections

What is interesting about this research is that the patient becomes the donor and no need for using embryos is necessary, which is certainly a contraversial topic.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Future Diabetes Treatment: Spleen Cells

It may soon be possible to halt -- or even cure -- type 1 diabetes. The unexpected key: Spleen cells.

The surprising findings come from Denise Faustman, MD, PhD, and her team at Massachusetts General Hospital's Immunobiology Laboratory. The researchers hit on a way to regenerate the insulin-making islets in the pancreas that function in response to blood sugars.

the rest of the article: my.webmd.com...

Again, the pancreas comes into play! Faustman's T-cell retraining technique may help other diseases besides type 1 diabetes. Misguided T cells also are at the heart of other autoimmune diseases such as lupus and Crohn's disease.

Kathryn Hentz is president of the Iacocca Foundation, which funds innovative approaches to a diabetes cure. "It may someday be possible to apply [Faustman's] technique in reversing rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and lupus," Hentz says in a news release.

edit to add: www.hon.ch...

"Massachusetts researchers say they have cured type 1 diabetes in mice."

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Why Did the JDRF Try to Discredit Cure Research?
Denise Faustman, MD, reversed type 1 in mice. When she approached the JDRF with a request to replicate the research in humans, the reviewers took a pass.

found here: www.diabeteshealth.com...

Merrill Goozner, director of the Integrity in Science Project for The Center for Science in the Public Interest, is disturbed by the JDRF going to these lengths to discredit Faustman.

“It is shocking to see that scientists, rather than evaluating something on its merits, would spend so much time attacking the messenger. You have to wonder, what is their real motivation? You would think that scientists connected with the JDRF would be pursuing every effective cure, not attacking approaches that rival their own.”

This just appears to be another attempt by the powers to be to suppress information on cures. Once again, there's much more money in maintaining disease than curing it!

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
And can anyone tell me WHY we don't allow stemcel research here in the good ol' USA?

Anyone?

it's worth 5 ernesto plucks!

We should be at the forefront of this, but NO (screams bloody murder)

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Transplant cures man of diabetes

A 61-year-old man has become the first person in the UK to be cured of type 1 diabetes thanks to a groundbreaking cell transplant technique. Richard Lane is now free of daily insulin injections.

more here: news.bbc.co.uk...

Professor Stephanie Amiel, who leads the diabetes team at King's College Hospital, said: "The implications for the future are enormous. "Eventually this could mean the end of insulin dependence for all type 1 diabetes sufferers."

Obviously there's a lot of good work going on with diabetes. Hopefully, the powers that be do not attempt in any way to squash it or make it take longer to come to fruition.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Pancreatic islet cell transplantation: a treatment strategy for type I diabetes mellitus.
A human beta-cell line for transplantation therapy to control type 1 diabetes.
How to make pancreatic beta cells - prospects for cell therapy in diabetes.
Islet transplantation in type 1 diabetes mellitus using cultured islets and steroid-free immunosuppression: Miami experience.
From stem cells to insulin-producing cells: towards a bioartificial endocrine pancreas.
Pancreatic islet cell transplantation: progress in the clinical setting.

This is just a small amount of the info from the National Library of Medicine regarding the work on curing diabetes. It looks promising but again, I hope the powers that be do not attempt to block it or stop it in any way!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by XanaX
Future Diabetes Treatment: Spleen Cells

It may soon be possible to halt -- or even cure -- type 1 diabetes. The unexpected key: Spleen cells.

The surprising findings come from Denise Faustman, MD, PhD, and her team at Massachusetts General Hospital's Immunobiology Laboratory. The researchers hit on a way to regenerate the insulin-making islets in the pancreas that function in response to blood sugars.

the rest of the article: my.webmd.com...

Again, the pancreas comes into play! Faustman's T-cell retraining technique may help other diseases besides type 1 diabetes. Misguided T cells also are at the heart of other autoimmune diseases such as lupus and Crohn's disease.

Kathryn Hentz is president of the Iacocca Foundation, which funds innovative approaches to a diabetes cure. "It may someday be possible to apply [Faustman's] technique in reversing rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and lupus," Hentz says in a news release.

edit to add: www.hon.ch...

"Massachusetts researchers say they have cured type 1 diabetes in mice."

There's an update to this story today. Please look at the link below:

Drug Reverses Diabetes: Phase II Clinical Trial Underway

______beforeitsnews/story/753/128/Drug_ Reverses_Diabetes:_Phase_II_Clinical_Trial_Underway.html

I'm surprised to have only found one document on ATS pertaining to her research. XanaX is the only member. I am glad that this is being done. Denise Faustman needs only $16.7 million to complete the clinical trials for this revolutionary cure. With over 350 million people diabetic (beforeitsnews.co... m/story/751/066/350_Million_Adults_Have_Diabetes:_Study_Reveals_The_Scale_Of_Global_Epidemic.html ) I think that this should be all over the media. This is the most practical procedure, and has very little risks of other problems. After having diabetes for 27 years, I am ready for some help.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by XanaX

This is some pretty awesome and frustrating news at the same time. The world should honestly have had this breakthrough around 2006. If research was never stopped and adequately funded who knows where stem-cells could have us right now.

I see this as nothing but good news though. It can only get better.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
And can anyone tell me WHY we don't allow stemcel research here in the good ol' USA?

Anyone?

We, MOST DEFINITELY, should be on the forefront as a country on this!

I've noticed that, along with not knowing all the facts or info on the subject matter, most people who have a strong issue with abortion also have an issue with Stem Cell research. It all boils down to what some people may call the "Value of life" or when life is finally life.

In my opinion, stem cell research is an untapped direction to new cures and/or treatments for any number of situations. I also believe that given enough effort, we can construct synthetic stem cells which would cancel out a lot of the huff & puff against this research.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Anyone?

it's worth 5 ernesto plucks!

We should be at the forefront of this, but NO (screams bloody murder)

Nobody....I repeat...NOBODY did not allow stem cell research in the USA.

It has been found that EMBRYONIC stem cells has never amounted to anything in the medical field. So no companies wanted to invest in failed science. So what happens when there are no private investors? You try to get government to invest in it. Government was smart and said "NO", then all heck breaks loose.

Some people still do not get this. Adult stem cells have been researched over and over, and have came through with many results without government money. Embryonic stem cell research is just failed science and should not be subsidized.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

If that were the case, there would be no need to create the ESCROC (Embryonic Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee). Implying of course, that the jury is still out and there is much more research that should be done.

I will definitely admit that you can use adult stem cells for whatever you would use embryonic stem cells for... but embryonic are a much better quality.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by joshter

www.geneforum.org...

Adult vs. embryonic stem cell success now quoted at 70 to 0
The group that brought you the 65 successes number we used to see all the time in stories about adult vs. embryonic stem cells has now increased their success number to 70.

Embyronic stem cells, on the other hand, have yet to prove themselves. While this is not surprising considering the limitations on this form of stem cell research, many use the "failure" factor to discredit embryonic stem cell research.

This is why funding for Embryonic Stem Cell research was banned. Because it didn't work.

But of course, if something doesn't work and the private sector doesn't want to sink money into it......get government to pay for it. Doesn't make sense.

top topics

join