It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Survive Katrina Now you go to Jail!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
I am surprised by how many people here equate illegal aliens with wanted criminals.

Zip

they are criminals as soon as they cross the border

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
How are sex offenders hard to track, but anyone with a petty theft warrant be so easy to track?

Give them any old name, i guess...wouldnt that work?

[edit on 22-9-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Zipdot,
You missed on that one:
definition of illegal alien:
A person who enters and lives in a country in violation of that country's laws.

Illegal Immigrant

Criminal:
1 : one who has committed a crime
2 : a person who has been convicted of a crime
www.m-w.com...

so by definition an illegal immigrant IS a criminal
Sorry

Edited to corredt link

[edit on 22-9-2005 by kenshiro2012]

[edit on 22-9-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   

However, I also agree with the immunity that is imposed upon illegal aliens. We cannot discourage illegal aliens from seeking safety by instilling fear of deportation into them - that is absolutely wrong and un-American.

I'm not equating illegal aliens with wanted criminals, but if you're an illegal alien, you shouldn't be here in the first place. I don't think illegal aliens should be immune to background checks. But then again criminality knows no boundries, or borders for that matter.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I suspect that many of the people here voicing their anti-alien sentiment have never met an illegal alien before.

I am well aware that the term "illegal" refers to a state of law violation, kenshiro, but thanks for the condescending definition link anyways. Really respectful.

Zip

[edit on 9/22/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Zipdot,
I was not attempting to be condescending. I was actually trying to joke about it.
Sorry you saw it differently

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My mistake, Kenshiro.

Anyways, the qualifier "wanted" should not be ignored. Illegal aliens are arguably in the same category as other victimless criminals such as marijuana smokers, and this contrasts criminals who are named in outstanding arrest warrants.

Illegal aliens are, of course, not immune from having arrest warrants themselves, and in this regard I believe they should be treated like anyone else. Withstanding that, I continue to hold my position - I support the government and believe they are doing the right thing with regard to the correct treatment of illegal aliens in this time of turmoil.

I will again remind everybody that illegal aliens include children, women, elderly, and hard working fathers, not just the MS13 members that I imagine you are picturing.

Zip

[edit on 9/22/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I actually own a little korean restaurant here in Dallas and I have 2 illegal immigrants working for me. They were hired on the proviso that they would seek to legalize their status. I am assisting them as well as sponsoring them. I fully support those who endevour to legalize their status.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
According to the article, illegal aliens are not being sent home at this time. They may well be identified during the process of a background check, but the govt. says they won't take action against them. I have absolutely no problem with conducting background checks on the evacuees and I don't give a hoot what the NAACP thinks about it. As I remember reading, the evacuees themselves have no problem with the checks either. Well..., I suppose the ones with outstanding warrants have a problem with them.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
I am surprised by how many people here equate illegal aliens with wanted criminals. You would rather that a father have his family duke it out with the storm and die than get on a bus to find relief? Now is not the time to frighten illegal aliens into taking chances that may kill them and their families just because they don't have a legal residency status. They will remain illegal aliens well after the hurricaines, and we can deal with them at that point.

Zip

One thing that I find interesting here is that no one has any trouble with a refugee from Katrina being arrested if there is found an open warrant for them. An illegal alien has the same status as there being an open misdemenor warrant for their arrest. If the illegal alien has been deported before there is the equivelant of an open felony warrent for them. I think that it sad that we only want to jail American criminals while we don't want to deprive an illegal with the same status of help.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Tax revenues generation, don't forget to pay them outstanding traffic fines before evacuating too.

You can run, but you can't hide....Uncle Sam wants your wallet.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Just remember: almost all americans came from immigrants who came here in one form or another.....remember?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by starr
Just remember: almost all americans came from immigrants who came here in one form or another.....remember?

And since the 1890's illegal aliens have been jailed and deported. It has only been in the last few years that this hasn't been true. I have no problem with someone petitioning for immigration and being given permission to live in the US. Part of the immigration petition is a criminal background check on the person. We have required reporting of sexual offenders for our own citizens. There is no such information on illegal immigrants. I don't like the fact that we are treating illegal aliens better than our own citizens.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
No offense to the Katrina survivors, but the vast majority with warrents probably deserved to be arrested.

hopefully they'll let the people with warrents for not paying traffic tickets and other lesser crimes slide...

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Let's not jump the gun here. Official federal American governmental directors have elected to withhold the naturalization refutation, an arguement which equates to deportation, of "illegal aliens" for a specific purpose - allowing these people the chance to find safety for themselves and their families without, for the time being, facing risks of naturalization refutation.

This does not equate to "immunity for illegal aliens."

I am concerned about this issue with complete disregard to politics. Regarding this issue, I care primarily about the safety of the children of "illegal immigrants," and eventually, down the line, my concern is focused on law-abiding "illegal immigrants" who work hard and abide by American laws.

Immigration is an incredibly complex issue for America, and I know that, while Americans treat the issue with adequate respect, I feel that "with adequacy" is below my expectations of how this issue should be regarded. Please consider the issues before you judge "illegal immigrants."

For the record, I wish it to be known that I do not subscribe to either of the partisaned American choices of political union. I don't believe that such a "false dichotomy" is a requisite of a truly demopublican mind.

Anyways, without delving too much into politics (I am a legal Green Card holder. I do not subscribe to the American "either/or" Democratic/Republican parties' ultimate blocks of position. You made me say it.) I will say this: little boys and little girls need help when big ass hurricaines hit their houses. Their hard working fathers could also use a hand in such times. Leniency can, should, and IS being allowed for minor criminals, such as traffic law violators and "illegal alliens." I support this.

Zip

top topics

<< 1   >>

join