It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Dead In New Orleans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
New Orleans Mayor Says `Thousands' Might Be Dead (Update1)
Aug. 31 (Bloomberg) -- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Hurricane Katrina probably killed hundreds and ``most likely, thousands'' of residents as officials sought to evacuate 23,000 refugees to Houston.

``We know there is a significant number of dead bodies in the water'' and others dead in attics, Nagin told the Associated Press. When asked how many, he said, ``Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands,'' the AP reported.

The refugees, mostly in the Superdome sports stadium, will be taken by 500 buses to the Astrodome in Houston 328 miles (508 kilometers) away, officials said. It may be weeks before people are allowed to return, they said.

``There is nothing in New Orleans that will sustain them,'' said Lieutenant Kevin Cowan, a spokesman for the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. ``There is no water, no electricity, no food, no sanitation. People cannot live in New Orleans.''

Katrina struck the Gulf Coast states of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida two days ago, causing what insurers estimate could be $25 billion in damage. That would make the storm the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history.

If Mayor Nagin's estimate of fatalities holds, the hurricane could be the deadliest U.S. storm since one that swept through Galveston, Texas, in 1900, killing an estimated 8,000 to 12,000. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire killed 5,000 to 6,000

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
At first they thought it was only about 50 to 60 dead

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
They have rescued hundreds of people who refused to evacute earlier. There are literally hundreds of bodies floating in the flooded streets of NOLA and the surrounding parishes. There are still hundreds of people stranded in their attics and rooftops. The final death toll will be horrible.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I didnt think so many people would stay behind in a city below sea level with a category 5 hurricane on its way. I guess you cant blame all the casualties. Two days warning is enough time to hike 20 miles on foot, nevermind finding a ride or using your own ride. Or finding a bicycle.

And the slow response from the National Guard, the police, and volunteers is extremely inadequate.

Oh well hope everything comes to acceptable sanity levels in the next few days and they get everyone out and under control and not running around in lawless waterworld.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by YaYo]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yes, there are stupid people in this world...should have gotten out of there 2 to 3 days before hurricane came. But some could not...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The possibility exists that many stayed thinking that once the storm passed they would be 'first in line' to get all the goods for their homes from damaged stores. Intentional forthought for looting would not be unheard of, though in this case it may have had fatal results for many.

Imagine the people that went into their attics thinking the water would never rise so high, and then lost their lives to that poor decision.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I hate to sound insensitive, but i find it very difficult to feel sympathy for these people. A hurricane is the only natural disaster that you KNOW is coming. WTF didn't they pack up and leave?!? Some will say that some people couldn't leave,...that's B.S. Every other year it's the same old thing. People on the news, "I'm not leaving my home. We're gonna ride the storm out." Two days later in the middle of wide spread destruction the same people are on t.v. again, "My two babies drown in the storm, waah, woe is me." Idiots.

When the Wrath of GOD comes knockin', you respect it.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Faust, I understand what you are saying. How would you evacuate if you had no vehicle, no money and 3 little kids? Yes they should have gone to the superdome. But we can all see how that worked out. This happened at the end of the month. Many were broke until the first. Many people in NOLA live from check to check. There is extreeme poverty in many areas.

When we moved to Louisianna I found a house in Slidell because I refused to live below sea level. The commute to work in Belle Chasse was 1 hour each way. But even Slidell suffered severe flooding from this one. I weather Ivan in my home last year. But had I still been in Slidell I would have evaced for this one. But then, I am better prepared than most folks.

The problem is too many people are living in the matrix of "nothing will happen to me." Americans have become fat, lazy and complacent. It's time to wake up. Smart folks have contingency plans for almost any disaster. They learn the facts and plan accordingly.

It has taken me six years to accumulate the supplies that I have today. I'm not saying that I'm smart, just well informed and prepared. Those who are not prepared to survive usually don't.

[edit on 9/1/2005 by darkelf]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I read that teachers are being told to get other jobs as there is no money to pay them.

People who have paid into unemployment won't be able to collect- as their jobs aren't there anymore! In fact, neither are unemployment agencies.

Homeland Security failed to let people know what they need before and after. Everyone should have a battery powered radio for example. When we had civil defense, there were people in every neighborhood who had first aid training, were armed, and talked to folks about keeping supplies around.

Boy do we need civil defense again.

This should be a wake up call to anyone and everyone. This is what happens when cities break down.

The government has to try and protect everyone.

We only have to protect our loved ones.

I disagree with those who are angry at the people trapped.

Look at it in a different way.

Now that you have seen government response time, isn't it time to demand a return to civil defense? That people have evacuation plans, plans for meeting family, codes on the cell so someone knows when they should get off public transportation?

Many thought our government could do anything. And expect it to do everything.

We have just seen it's limits.

joi

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faust
I hate to sound insensitive, but i find it very difficult to feel sympathy for these people. A hurricane is the only natural disaster that you KNOW is coming. WTF didn't they pack up and leave?!? Some will say that some people couldn't leave,...that's B.S. Every other year it's the same old thing. People on the news, "I'm not leaving my home. We're gonna ride the storm out." Two days later in the middle of wide spread destruction the same people are on t.v. again, "My two babies drown in the storm, waah, woe is me." Idiots.

When the Wrath of GOD comes knockin', you respect it.

So the residents of NOLA should have a plan when our own government didn't?
They still have their heads up their butts just trying to figure out how to rescue survivors, and are more concerned with the looters than solid rescue plans.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Here is my shallow moment for the night. Of course we are short on Guards. How can they provide safety to America when they are off trying to provide safety to someone else? I guess the term "National Guard" doesn't mean much these days. Or perhaps we should clarify what nation they are to guard.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Solution? Tell Bush Oil is in New Orleans, he will send thousands of troops there to find the WMDs, to spread democracy, so forth.

Proof of Bush taking money from New Orleans/Lousianna

www.pnionline.com...
www.alertnet.org...
www.editorandpublisher.com...
www.findarticles.com...
www.whatreallyhappened.com...
mydd.com...
www.bushwatch.com...
www.salon.com...
www.commondreams.org...
www.craigslist.org...
www.swingstateproject.com...