It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet 2...It's better, it's faster, and (Neener-neener!) YOU can't use it!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
LOL I found this article and HAD to pass it on to you folks. If you're a techno-geek like me, I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

"There's nothing obviously different or magical about Alan Crosswell's computer. The dirty, beige machine sits idle in a nondescript office at Columbia University, where Crosswell directs the school's computer network. Then he lets it loose. In just 2 minutes and 41 seconds, it pulls down more than 500 megabytes of Linux code from servers at Duke University, a task that would normally take hours. Next, Crosswell shows me a violin master class held via videoconference. The DVD-like resolution creates an immediacy that you don't get with choppy streaming video, and the better-than-CD audio allows both the teacher in Canada and the student in New York to hear every nuance.

How are these incredible feats of data transmission possible? Because Columbia has access to the other, better Internet—Internet2."

For the rest of the article, I inserted these links. Check it out!

slate.msn.com...

www.internet2.edu...

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Toelint]

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Sadly its no match for my internet 5. Yes I am that far ahead.

I can barely get dialup out here actually.

Good read.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Dulcimer]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I simply can't believe this article slams Fiber Modems...which are infinately faster than dial up and at least a dozen times faster than DSL!

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
very interesting,

BTW, Microsoft recently sold 'Slate' to Washington Post Company...

(make your own suppositions about this timely news)

-> I wonder if this 'I2' is also being hacked by the reported China Hackers
which are doing a job on sensitive sites & closed networks throughout
the USAs'... Military-Industrial-Academic/Research Complex (?MIRC?)

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm currently running at 10mbps download and 800kbps upload (network). I'm not a computer genius but I know that that's good for what I use it for, I can get files off the net very fast, I couldn't ever understand what I would do if I had internet that was indefinatly fast.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If it's a dozen times faster than dsl that makes it at least 4 times faster than my connection. But it's still in porgress so....

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What they aren't really telling you is that Internet2 is rolling out to campuses as a test but it will be government controlled whereas currently it isn't. Which means for folks like us that get our info and news through free sites will be shut down. Sites will have to pay a fee to report any news.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You realise of course that the minute we get to internet2012 we're all freaking doomed! Doomed I say!

Spiderj

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Beats my 2mb ADSL link

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
... it will be government controlled whereas currently it isn't. Which means for folks like us that get our info and news through free sites will be shut down. Sites will have to pay a fee to report any news.

Whaaaa..!!!?? I hadn't heard anything like that. Do you by any chance have a reference for that? I'm very interested in seeing it.

Thanks!!

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Dulcimer

Inet5 ... that's nuffin'. I have Inet5.1 which blazes along at 28.8kbs occasionally tearing of to 37.2kbs. Why I even get consistent downloads of 34kbs every second Wednesday in months without an 'r' in them.

What is annoying is that even with a Convergys call center less than 5 miles away with a T1 link, we are not able to get the regular telco broadband.

www.convergys.com...

Cornwallis is near here: www.bearriver.ca... and I am near Bear River.

Now, cable does provide broadband here but man'o'man it's $$$$$$$$ which I would purchase if it wasn't for the fact that for some reason my telco (Aliant) does not charge me for my Dial-up Inet5.1. and hasn't for almost 2 years now.

Anyway, I read about Internet 2 a while ago. I think that's where we have to get to for the next gen of computer usage when we can have true multi-media. I think one consequence of I2 would be a big improvement in distributed services ...

By which I mean you would not have to carry any RAM, just a good Wi-Fi or other hot spot, minimal chipset bussed superfast to a nice, light touch screen (any size with or without a remote with laser pointer/mouse).

All storage could be off-site (like the old days sorta) and with next gen quantum encryption all media could securely be handled/distributed virtually ... no need for CD/DVD, etc.

Oh yeah, speakers ... um ... how about augmented cochlear implants? Video in ... iris-implanted RF nanocam ... hehehehe

Sorry for going on with what is probably TMI but I guess I'm feeling a little chatty.

Cheers!

[edited for speakers and cam
]

[edit on 2005/8/31 by Zadeh Redux]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by DDay
... it will be government controlled whereas currently it isn't. Which means for folks like us that get our info and news through free sites will be shut down. Sites will have to pay a fee to report any news.

Whaaaa..!!!?? I hadn't heard anything like that. Do you by any chance have a reference for that? I'm very interested in seeing it.

Thanks!!

It's outright paranoia. Don't panic!

The future of the Internet is not this research tool, it's high speed wireless mesh networks, which will be even harder to control then Bittorrent
You think China is having problems with the internet of today just wait until WiMAX takes off.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

There won't ever be an internet 2 - There will always be one, the connection to get to the internet, will however, change in technology

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I found the www.internet2.org site a while ago an made a post here a while ago if anyone cares.

Link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The cool thing is that the connection is at 10gb/sec thats about 175,000 times faster then dial up(56k) and about 1,000-5,000 times faster then most cable and DSL. Hehe *drool*

P.S. Soon (next 5-10 years) everyone on the "normal" internet will upgrade to the internet 2. Although now the internet 2 is limited for only government and university use, the same way the internet was in the late 80s early 90s before going public around 1993.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

There was a thread about this about a year ago and it also provides some links for your viewing pleasure. I had also read an article concerning this some time ago and am an looking for that link now.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
*sigh* The Future is wireless people, not wired. Self-healing dynamic mesh-networks are the future, it will enable near anonymity on the Internet. Hell even in new york you can pretty much get free access from open wifi hotspots, the commodization of the net is coming fast and furious.

apc

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The future for end-user Joe Blow consumer may be wireless, but I assure you when it comes to commerce, industry, and high speed dependability, it's fiber all the way... with a dash of copper here and there.

You can't rely on an internet connection that can be disrupted by a few trees, or sniffed by the 16 year old punk next door, etc. The technology is improving, yes, but the higher the transmission rate, the higher the frequency. And the higher the frequency, the greater number of variables that come into play restricting the performance. Factors range from damage to organics to EM inductance... it's just not practical for anything but common 'surfing.'

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Well, obviously this is something I was waiting to read, and answer is yes.

Speed is not the only reason for this, but technology, and this internet really is made for slower connections and networks of the same features.
There are reasons in its core why it is not upgradable that way, and think about it.
Why they can have that speed and we can't?

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hey folks, I didn't think this warranted a whole new thread, but it is about internet2 and I thought it was interesting so figured I'd pass it along to my fellow nerdlings.

Spiderj

www.hollywoodreporter.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join