It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the top predator in the sea? Shark you say? Not so fast..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Want to see a shark get its butt kicked? You will never imagine what does it too, this poor shark gets spanked but good:

Suprising twist

I never would have imagined....

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
An octopus? Wow, I would never have thought....

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I remember being told when i was younger that a dolphin can have a good go at a shark if need be!

Not to kill but to protect itself, i think i was told they ram into the shark with its nose...

No idea if its true or not!

Mic

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thats so cool, isn't an Octopus among one of the smartests sea creature. They can camoflauge, and shape shift. So cool

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
I remember being told when i was younger that a dolphin can have a good go at a shark if need be!

Yeah, you get 2 angry parent Dolphins against a shark who was trying to eat their kid, those Dolphins will kick that sharks butt! *holds up triangular flag that says "Go Dolphins!"*

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The Killer Whale is the sea's top predator. They eat great white shark livers for snacks and leave the corpse to rot.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
So then it goes: Orca, OCTOPUSS, then shark?

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That was a cool video but that shark was a baby comparatively speaking. I'll go with orca being #1, but I'm not ready to move the octopus past the shark on the food chain. Let's see that octopus pick on a shark more it's own size. Game over!!!

Peace

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure humans are the top ocean predator, Shamu or not.

Octopi can get real ornery, squid too. Don't forget the classic Whale Giant Squid V Giant Squid fight!

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Define predator

If you want to go by what animal kills and eats the most marine creature flesh in a year you would ahve to go with sharks or a killer whale. Maybe even a Sperm Whale.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I havn't seen that clip, it really chugs.
I think the orca would be no.1 then shark then octapus, I dont think a dolphin could take out a shark, unless outnumbered.
The shark used to be no.1, millions of years ago. It was as big as a....
well the biggest wait

cya

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Though it's not strictly a predator...

This little fella would make me second guess the "Huh...who would I rather take my chances with....shark...box jelly fish...shark....box jelly fish...." debate.

"You have virtually no chance of surviving the venomous sting, unless treated immediately. The pain is so excruciating and overwhelming that you would most likely go into shock and drown before reaching the shore."

Nice.

And people ask me why I don't go swimming in ze ocean...

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Imagine a 70 foot long Collosal(sp?) Squid, with very large swiveling hooks on its tentacles. It'd eat a shark for breakfast. It might have a harder time with a full grown Orca but I think it'd eventually kill it. They are also supposed to be eaten right along with their brother, the Giant Squid, by the Sperm Whale. But something tells me that Sperm Whales don't quite injoy attacking a Collosal Squid.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I fail to see how a squid or an octopus, even of immense proportions is capable of taking out a white shark or a tiger shark or a few other sharks for that matter. The question was what is the top predator in the sea? It's not people. Amorymeltzer, there are some sharks of the Monterey Peninsula that would like to have a chat with you. It's not octopi. It's not squid. I'd say the Orca and the white shark are on any given day capable of feeding on each other. They win.

Peace

[edit on 11-8-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
So its really between the Orcas and the Sharks.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I fail to see how a squid or an octopus, even of immense proportions is capable of taking out a white shark or a tiger shark or a few other sharks for that matter. The question was what is the top predator in the sea? It's not people. Amorymeltzer, there are some sharks of the Monterey Peninsula that would like to have a chat with you. It's not octopi. It's not squid. I'd say the Orca and the white shark are on any given day capable of feeding on each other. They win.

Peace

Sharks and Orcas can drown. If you had a squid large enough, he would only need to last a long time to win, it’s not like an orca could shrug off a 40 foot squid once it latched on. As far a shark is concerned, the vast majority of sharks need to keep moving to keep oxygen flowing over their gills; again, an octopus or a squid would only need to latch on long enough to win.

I think the only hope a shark or an orca would have is to get their teeth on BEFORE the squid or octopus got a good hold. But after that I could say our tentacle friends could make short work of them.

Maybe this would make a great Discovery show, what’s that one called when they pit unlikely animals against each other?

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Skippy...I know we rarely agree on ...well, anything, really...
but please please please tell me you're kidding? Please?

Maybe this would make a great Discovery show, what’s that one called when they pit unlikely animals against each other?"

Otherwise I will cry. A lot.

And campaign for Discovery to run pay-per-view "Man with big scary lethal weapon Versus Other Man with big scary lethal weapon" shows.

Poor hanimals!

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Skippy

You're right. One's weakness is that it has to surface for air and the other needs to continuously move to keep it's gills oxygenated, but do you realize how powerful white sharks and orcas are? That's not even taking into account their bite. If an octopus dared to mess with either it would be shredded (at least in the Great white's case) in no time at all. The fact of the matter is that the octopus would flee the shark or orca and not vice versa.

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Octopus says: "OK then..............bye-bye now!"

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I don't know about you, but I am more afraid of this in the ocean.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join