It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu Awareness - Shopping List & Countermeasures Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

With all the warnings and news being released about the bird flu, I feel it is time for a reader contributed thread of ideas on how to protect against the deadly dangers of this disease.

I would like this thread just to be contributions and ideas on how to deal with a pandemic personally and not have it turned into a debate on whys and ifs. So far we have had some good ideas on "shopping lists" for protection against this disease but they are all over the board and an easily referenced thread would be much more handy for members to start gathering information and protection now.

Once the pandemic has started, medications will not readily be available for the masses, once again it will be a case of the wealthy first and the poor last...
If members start preparing now, by gathering items needed and by keeping up to date on current events surrounding the virus, then there is more of a chance of survival for the whole ATS community. This is not scaremongering, it is a reality and complacency will earn people burial im mass graves, or loss of loved ones.

I will start with my list so far, gathered from various sources.

1, Tamiflu prescriptions
2, Relenza prescriptions
3, Flu Vaccination shots
4, Eucalyptus Oil - to be rubbed on bottom of feet (relieves flu symptoms)
5, Herbal Remedies (see below)
6, Paracetomol and analgesics to reduce temperature
7, Breathing aids, including asthma nebulizers
8, Disinfectants
9, Proper organic gas masks
10, bulk bottled water
11, canned food and non perishable goods (shops will close)
12, fuel
13, candles, power generators, batteries
14, gas cookers (for when electricity gets cut)

Gman mentioned a few great home remedies in the ATSNN news thread linked above and I hope he will add them to this post himself with any other ideas he may have along with other members inputs into how they are preparing and other shopping list items not already mentioned.

Attached to this thread I have a word document written by a local Queensland biology teacher which gives plenty of good information and ideas on how to combat the illness. It is well worth the read.

Bird Flu By SG Jones Birdflu.doc

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Mayet]

Mod Edit: Please see the u2u i sent you

[edit on 8/5/05 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Excellent work Mayet.

Here is a link to download the report: Beat the Bird Flu Virus and Survive the Pandemic by Mike Adams

I haven't finished reading it so I am not sure that it is spectacularly informative, but a little bit is better than nothing.

This is his big draw for the article.

Here’s the recipe of the “Big Twelve” antiviral herbs identified through the research:
• Echinacea• Astragalus• Cat’s Claw• St. John’s Wort• Olive Leaves• Licorice• Ginger• Lemon Balm• Garlic• Shiitake Mushrooms• Onion• Green Tea
As you can see, this list is a combination of Amazon herbs, Chinese herbs, Japanese mushrooms and Western herbs.

It is a decent read and free for the download at the aforementioned site.

The author promotes free trade of his intellectual property so I am not violating his rights.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I would add Echinacea and Golden Seal to that tincture. And only take it when and if you are exposed or think you might be exposed. It's an immune booster and not to be taken all the time. (I haven't had a cold or flu in the 10 years I've been taking tinctures!)

And yeah, just take it straight! You'll live. Have water ready if the taste is just hideous. I do it every day with other mixtures for other conditions.

I'm not too worried about the bird flu and I have concerns that the hype might even be over-exaggerated. However... Nice post, Mayet.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Okie Dokie folks...here is what I posted before...

There are actually quite a few natural foods and extracts that are shown to inhibit viral replication in the cells...one is elderberry extract. See below.

Inhibition of several strains of influenza virus in vitro and reduction of symptoms by an elderberry extract (Sambucus nigra L.) during an outbreak of influenza B Panama.

Zakay-Rones Z, Varsano N, Zlotnik M, Manor O, Regev L, Schlesinger M, Mumcuoglu M.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Department of Virology, Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel.

A standardized elderberry extract, Sambucol (SAM), reduced hemagglutination and inhibited replication of human influenza viruses type A/Shangdong 9/93 (H3N2), A/Beijing 32/92 (H3N2), A/Texas 36/91 (H1N1), A/Singapore 6/86 (H1N1), type B/Panama 45/90, B/Yamagata 16/88, B/Ann Arbor 1/86, and of animal strains from Northern European swine and turkeys, A/Sw/Ger 2/81, A/Tur/Ger 3/91, and A/Sw/Ger 8533/91 in Madin-Darby canine kidney cells. A placebo-controlled, double blind study was carried out on a group of individuals living in an agricultural community (kibbutz) during an outbreak of influenza B/Panama in 1993. Fever, feeling of improvement, and complete cure were recorded during 6 days. Sera obtained in the acute and convalescent phases were tested for the presence of antibodies to influenza A, B, respiratory syncytial, and adenoviruses. Convalescent phase serologies showed higher mean and mean geometric hemagglutination inhibition (HI) titers to influenza B in the group treated with SAM than in the control group. A significant improvement of the symptoms, including fever, was seen in 93.3% of the cases in the SAM-treated group within 2 days, whereas in the control group 91.7% of the patients showed an improvement within 6 days (p < 0.001). A complete cure was achieved within 2 to 3 days in nearly 90% of the SAM-treated group and within at least 6 days in the placebo group (p < 0.001). No satisfactory medication to cure influenza type A and B is available. Considering the efficacy of the extract in vitro on all strains of influenza virus tested, the clinical results, its low cost, and absence of side-effects, this preparation could offer a possibility for safe treatment for influenza A and B.

Also...

*Quercetin, an anti-viral found in onions can reduce tissue damage caused by influenza infection.

*The active component in fresh crushed garlic cloves, Allicin, is virucidal against herpes, influenza, vaccinia and cold viruses. A fresh crushed garlic clove can yield up to 13,000 micrograms of Allicin. Only fresh garlic should be used during viral outbreaks and should be included in foods as a method of building up natural immunity.

*Three remarkable studies show that Elderberry syrup reduces the duration and severity of a flu bout by 3-4 days. A complete cure in 2 to 3 days was recorded in one of the studies by 9 out of 10 patients, compared to 6 days for untreated patients. Elderberry syrup appears to be a safe treatment for influenza Type A and B. Repeated dosing, 5 x per day, appears to be important. Elderberry appears to render viruses nonfunctional by staining and coating them.

*A study conducted in Italy shows that NAC (N-acetyl cysteine), a sulfur dietary suppement, quells the syumptoms of the flu and only 25% of virus infected individuals developed the symptomatic form of the virus versus 79% taking an inactive placebo tablet.

*Mega doses of Vitamin C, 1,000 mg. taken hourly for the first 6 hours and then 3 times daily thereafter has been shown to reduce cold and flu symptoms in 85% of infected adults. The addition of vitamin E with Vitamin C may be synergistic.

Glyconutrients - 8 monosaccharides shown to have very potent antiviral properties. Can find individual sugars or together as supplement. Fucose from Fucodian is particularly anti-viral. See testimony before Congressional Committe on Bioterroism regarding glyconutrients: "Evidence Supporting the Potential for Glyconutrients and Micronutrient Dietary Supplementation to Support Nautral Defense and Heal Mechanisms to Ameliorate Bacterial, Viral and Fungal Infections." www.glycoexpert.com...

A study on glyconutrients in this testimony did show an increase in cytokines. I've written to the researcher represented at the Hearing to ask his opinion about Cytokine storms.

Nanomasks, one of few masks with filter that will stop a virus, can be ordered at: 702-558-5164
$4.95 for the mask and $.50 for filters that last 24 hours.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Additional precautions to take:
"At some time you may face a heating emergency — when your home heating system is inoperative for hours or days. At that critical time you must decide how to meet the emergency, either with an alternative source of heat or by seeking shelter elsewhere."

Link to source article from University of Missouri
muextension.missouri.edu...

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It sounds stupid but, here is something we all take for granted...me too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.tbdhu.com...

Washing Your Hands - Proper Handwashing Technique

Children learn by example! Let them observe good hand washing technique from the adults who care for them.
Why is hand washing important?

Hand washing, when done correctly, is the single most effective way to prevent the spread of communicable diseases. Good hand washing technique is easy to learn and can significantly reduce the spread of infectious diseases among both children and adults in places such as schools, daycares and workplaces.
Follow these steps to wash your hands properly:
Wet your hands with warm running water.
Add soap, and rub hands vigorously with soap and water for 15 seconds (sing Happy Birthday to yourself twice!), making a soapy lather. Do this away from the running water for at least 15 seconds, being careful not to wash the lather away. Wash the front and back of your hands, as well as between your fingers and under your nails.
Rinse your hands well under warm running water. Let the water run back into the sink, not down to your elbows. Turn off the water with a paper towel and dispose in a proper receptacle.
Dry hands thoroughly with a clean towel.
Why use "good washing technique"?
By rubbing your hands vigorously with soapy water, you pull the dirt and the oily soils free from your skin. The soap lather suspends both the dirt and germs trapped inside and are then quickly washed away.
What type of soap should be used?
Any type of soap may be used. However, bar soap should be kept in a self draining holder that is cleaned thoroughly before new bars are put out and liquid soap containers (which must be used in day care centers) should be used until empty and cleaned before refilling.
To prevent chapping use a mild soap with warm water; pat rather than rub hands dry; and apply lotion liberally and frequently.
Hand disinfection
If the water is not safe for drinking because of germs (bacteria, viruses or parasites), good handwashing with soap and water should be followed up with hand disinfection for good hand hygiene.
Hand disinfection is when additional agents are used to kill germs living on your hands. This may be done using alcohol based rubs/gels/rinses.
What are alcohol rubs/gels/rinses ?
Alcohol rubs/gels/rinses are excellent hand disinfectants, containing more than 60% alcohol. They are widely used in the health care setting after washing hands, or in situations when water is not available.
The alcohol content of the disinfectant product completely evaporates in 15 seconds. You should use hand lotion after each use of the alcohol based hand disinfectant. This will balance the drying effect of alcohol on your skin.
How do I use alcohol-based hand disinfectants ?
Dirt should be removed from your hands. Alcohol based hand disinfectants work best on clean skin, so wash your hands with soap and warm water, even if the water is not fit to drink.
Carefully dry your hands, as water on wet hands will dilute the alcohol content of the disinfectant product, decreasing its effectiveness.
Apply enough disinfectant to make about the size of a dime onto your hands, enough when you rub your hands together to cover all areas of your hands, including under the your nails. Use a rubbing motion to evenly distribute the disinfectant product for about 15 seconds, or until your hands feel dry whichever is longest.
Is it safe to use alcohol-based disinfectant for the hands of children ?
Yes, it is safe. It should not be swallowed, therefore, young children should be supervised when using it. Store it safely. After application of the disinfectant to hands the alcohol content evaporates, and children can safely touch their mouth or eyes.
What are some mistakes I should avoid regarding hand washing?
DON'T use a single damp cloth to wash a group of children's hands.
DON'T use a standing basin of water to rinse hands.
DON'T use a common hand towel. Always use disposable towels in day care or food preparation settings.
DON'T use sponges or non-disposable cleaning cloths unless you launder them on a regular basis, adding chlorine bleach to the wash water. Remember that germs thrive on moist surfaces.
What are some ways to help children with good hand washing technique?
It is important to encourage and help children to wash hands before eating, after playing outdoors or playing with pets, after using the bathroom, and after blowing their noses.
Even though hands may appear to be clean, they may carry germs or microorganisms that are capable of causing disease. Don't assume that children know how to wash their hands properly. Supervision, especially in a day care setting, is an essential element in forming good hand washing habits in children.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by gman55]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but your family should have a supply of N95 or R95 masks. What we need to find out on these is how long they can be used before you replace one.

Good thread, Mayet.

p.s. Cranberry juice.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but your family should have a supply of N95 or R95 masks. What we need to find out on these is how long they can be used before you replace one.

Good thread, Mayet.

p.s. Cranberry juice.

Valhall...from my 1st post above...
Nanomasks, one of few masks with filter that will stop a virus, can be ordered at: 702-558-5164
$4.95 for the mask and $.50 for filters that last 24 hours

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Nanomasks are now available online.

Nanomasks

However, it isn't as reasonably priced as at the phone number gman provides.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Good thread Mayet!

Originally posted by Mayet
1, Tamiflu prescriptions
2, Relenza prescriptions
3, Flu Vaccination shots

Where can you get Tamiflu and Relenza prescriptions? and what about flu vaccination shots?
Are they available to the general public now before the bird flu has started to spread amongst humans? What about the price?

I live in Finland btw, so if any Finnish members would like to contact me and share some tips, please send a message in the u2u thingie!

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
SwearBear,

Physicians can write scripts for anti-virals. There is no vaccine as of yet because the vaccine makers don't know what form the virus will take. They need about 4-6 months to develop the vaccine, and in that time the virus could change enough that the vaccine would become useless for protection.

Best thing you can do is to stock up on natural anti-virals and follow the above posts for protection.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by gman55]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
With the likelihood of a pandemic increasing all the time, this information is as good as gold.

gman for your hard work trying to keep the rest of ATS safe and healthy I voted you WATS. My first ever.

You have voted gman55 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Thanks for giving a rats hinny and posting all your useful info.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Thanks....I never had that before. Still, my main concern is for ALL ATS members to be forwarned and prepared. I'm still hoping that H5N1 will somehow just fade away into the avian population from whence it came, but I fear for the worst.

For those of you that think this is silly, do me a favor, just stock up a little bit every time you go to the grocery store, if I'm wrong and H5N1 goes away, you can still use thoses extra supplies you bought.

I know it's trite but, better safe if the SHTF, than dead!

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
While I agree that this thread can be useful for those who want to prepare, I have to ask this question:

Who really wants to live in a world that requires these kind of measures just to exist? Would you be living or just surviving?

I personally would hope that my family and myself are among the first to go if it comes down to this scenario. I don't want to live in a world like this - after all, there are much worse things than death.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Tamiflu as well as other antivirals are easy enough to get without prescriptions. Do your studies and stock up. You will currently need about triple the dose for each person to be effective. I also recommend Colloidal Silver. If you would like more information about Silver please read the link below. It's a little long but numerous studies have been done and it is more effective than any antibiotic and kills all single cell organisms.

I have taken it for 3 yrs now and have nothing but thumbs up for it. I also give it to my 3 yr old son.

link
www.newfoundationspubl.org...

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I know I provided a link to the silver above but I wanted to take some of the footwork out for you guys. Here are some excerpts from the link.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Colloidal Silver is a powerful, natural antibiotic. It is the most usable form of the most effective disease, germ, virus and fungal killer known. It has been found to be both a remedy and a prevention for colds, flu, all infections and all fermentation due to any bacteria fungus or virus - especially staph and strep which are often found in disease conditions. It has been reported to rapidly subdue inflammation and promote faster healing. The body needs Colloidal Silver to fight disease causing organisms and to aid healing. Taken daily, Colloidal Silver provides a second immune system resulting in more energy, vitality, vigor, relaxation, faster healing and reduced bodily toxins. Artificial antibiotics kill, on average 6 different disease organisms but Colloidal Silver is known to kill over 650 diseases without any harmful side effects or toxicity.

HOW IT WORKS

The presence of Colloidal Silver near a virus, fungus, bacterium or any other single celled pathogen disables its oxygen metabolism enzyme, its chemical lung, so to say. Within a few minutes, the pathogen suffocates and dies and is cleared out of the body by the immune, lymphatic and elimination systems. Unlike pharmaceutical antibiotics which destroy beneficial enzymes, Colloidal Silver leaves these tissue-cell enzymes intact as they are radically different from the enzymes of primitive single-celled life.

These microscopic particles can more easily penetrate and travel throughout the body. Colloidal Silver works as a catalyst, disabling the enzyme that all one celled bacteria fungi and viruses use for their oxygen metabolism. In short, the bad guys suffocate

HAS IT BEEN CLINICALLY TESTED?

YES! Colloidal Silver has been successfully tested at the UCLA Medical Labs where it killed every virus on which it was tested.

WHAT DOES THE FDA SAY?

According to the United States Government Food and Drug Administration Colloidal Silver may continue to be marketed and used as it was originally intended. Colloidal Silver exceeds FDA recognized standards for safety. In a September 13, 1991 letter written by Harold Davies, U.S. Food and Drug Administration Consumer Safety Officer stated that FDA has no jurisdiction regarding a pure, mineral element.

And here is the best part in terms of H5N1

WHAT OTHER USES ARE THERE FOR COLLOIDAL SILVER?

Tests prove, due to the high absorption of silver in the small intestine, the friendly bacteria in the large intestine are not affected. All bacterial, viral and fungal organisms are killed within 6 minutes of contact. Higher silver content in the body causes faster and more frequent contact with these organisms. No disease causing organism can live in the presence of simple silver

WHAT DO HEALTH PROFESSIONALS SAY ABOUT COLLOIDAL SILVER?

"What we have actually done is rediscover the fact that silver kills bacteria which has been known for centuries. When antibiotics were discovered, clinical uses for silver as an antibiotic were discarded." concludes Dr. Robert O. Becker, M.D. Extensive research into the curative properties of sliver has been conducted for many years at the Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY under the direction of Dr. Becker.

These are excerpts from the article but this is in hopes you will be interested in learning more. If you want to know my personal experiences with silver please feel free to U2U me..

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Just wanted to say thanks to the contributors of this thread and a special thanks to Mayet for starting it and providing so much great info - along with gman. Your work is truly appreciated!

We are working on our preparations and this thread (among others here) has been invaluable! Thank you!

Originally posted by AmethystWolf
Who really wants to live in a world that requires these kind of measures just to exist? Would you be living or just surviving?

Apparently plenty want to live in that world. What a challenge it would be. I agree that there are worse things than death, but a lifestyle where I cook in the fireplace and use masks to defend myself isn't (to me) one of them.

It would be surviving and living through to see the other side, which I am very interested in doing. I understand not everyone would even want to do that, but there are plenty who do.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The author of this article lists her step-by-step prearations for avian flu:
www.node707.com...

On the other side of the coin, as you’ll see below, you can find three different sides on every issue regarding what to do or not do in preparation for H5N1 when it comes to meds and alternatives. You must consider the flu itself, then the “cytokine storm”, then secondary infections which could be as deadly as the flu itself, primarily bacterial pneumonia. All of us will be under enormous stress, which will weaken our immune systems in general. It is far, far too easy to lose hope, focus, or your sanity trying to figure out best options on this keystone of your preparations.

I cannot tell what the “best” options are regarding this topic. I can only tell you what I am going to do and provide you with links to make your own analysis from which to take what you consider proper precautions.

*I sincerely and strongly warn you to not fall into the trap of becoming obsessive in the process of seeking answers, because much of this will come down to what your common sense says is worthwhile once you’ve heard all sides. And when you’ve hit a reasonable level of preparation, step back and take a breath or three before you do anything else.

*emphasis mine

Here is another source for nanomasks, at a slightly better price. This site is also aligned with Yahoo!shoppijg.
www.gotpollution.com...

[edit on 9-10-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Golden seal and echinacea are the best natural remedies closes to antiboitics, but they have to be taken continously and in their liquid form mix with your favorite beverage like benevolentHeretci posted.

Cranberry Juice is a great cleanser of the body, and we also back home have a fruit call mahawa that is also as good as cranberry juice, also the noni juice is very beneficial, we call it guanabana in our indian language, just like mahawa even when we share the same tropical fruits with other islands around the world the names change.

Its many products that can be found in healt stores that are from tropical forest.

I will be heading to the only major naturalistic store in GA located in Athens and see what I may find and then I will post it here.

Great post mayet.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The "new" understanding of disease, aging, and the immune system is described as the "free radical theory of disease" - and is positioned to replace the old "germ theory of disease." The "free radical theory" says that disease and aging are caused by "free (oxygen) radicals" interfering with cell function - and that antioxidant supplements and other immune system "boosters" neutralize free radicals, and thus, lead to better health, and fight aging.

However, research released 2 years ago turned this "free radical theory of disease" upside down - and threatened the very foundations of the international drug industry.

"Their study, which challenges the theory behind drug development worth millions of dollars, would also call into question the use of antioxidants to counter the build-up of free radicals."
Doubt cast on free radical theory

Also see:
Nature Journal: The Original Study
Scientists challenge free radical theory of disease
Scientists overturn accepted theory of disease
Antioxidant Fallacy?
British Nursing News Online
more
and more

I have several chronic, incurable, and untreatable diseases - and was researching them when I tripped over this study. I immediately stopped taking antioxidants, and started treating my health problems as prion disease. The result? My health improved - substantially.

I researched the molecular biology to understand the science and process. Needless to say, it is complicated, and has to do with misfolded proteins, prions, and cascades of cellular processes. So I won't go there right now.

BUT - The bird flu crisis is a huge windfall for the drug industry - which now has taken over production of antioxidants and other immune boosters. Most drugs and supplements now are based on the free radical theory of disease - and the industry is worth billions and billions - more even than the oil industry.

The cover-up protects drug profits, and maintains deniability for charges of industry liability.

...This is just a part of something bigger that I'm working on - but it is VERY important. Please, please consider it, and follow up the links.

The point is - boosting your immune system when you have the flu can make it worse.

<<   2  3 >>

join