It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual Solar Activity Causing Earthquakes and More.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I know that most of you have noticed a lot of earthquakes, unusual storms, intensive heat, and maybe even unusual animal deaths, power outages, cell phone errors, and satellite TV disconnection's, and auroras.

Sun activity..
www.spaceweather.com...
www.dxlc.com...

Sun destroying satellites and causing power outages...
www.space.com...

It is common knowledge that the Moon and the Sun and Earth align twice a month. And gravitational pulls our at its greatest at those times.. that makes the oceans tides high and can put stress on body's of land, causing earthquakes.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

But what about MARS? Anyone look up lately? Mars is getting REALLY REALLY close, and people say it will be the closest ever, and wont happen again an anyone's life time. In California, probably around 1:30am look towards the East.. and find the reddest dot in the sky. Its really close!

They say it might appear to be as big as the moon at one point, some time in August. That can also change the gravitational pull to be even greater.

What does it have to do with storms? Well the weather all depends on atmospheric pressures, cold fronts, and warm fronts, and more. Well.. solar flares from the sun and these unexplainable huge explosions on the sun are probably heating up certain parts of the globe. That will change the pressure. And even cause tornados, and monsoons.

This web page is out dated but look:
www.handpen.com...

it says...Cosmic Dust Causes Intense Weather
The increase in sun activity is related to increases in cosmic dust. In 2000, cosmic dust into our solar system increased threefold. The following years saw exceptionally server weather such as the 2003 hurricane Isabel with wind speeds over 300 MPH (second highest ever recorded). Also in 2003 Arkansas was heavily damaged in one of the most intense outbreaks of tornadoes in 53 years of record-keeping, and a heat wave in Europe killed 12,000. From European Space Agency's online news story of 01 Aug 2003 "we can expect even more interstellar dust from 2005 onwards, once the changes become fully effective." But, that is only the first volley of dust, the second one is three times more intense.

So what was the point of NASA Mission Genesis? To collect Solar winds? Why? NASA gives us a blunt reason.. and not the full story.

So what's going on with our sun? They say between now and the middle of August we will be rotated towards a very active spot on the sun. Plus we are in the middle of summer that means we are really close to the sun.

So.. what do you all think?

(edited to fix typo in title, per request)

[edit on 30-7-2005 by Byrd]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Damnit.. i just noticed a typo in the subject title. SOLOR lmao. I meant SOLAR. Can an admin fix that? It wont let me.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I started reading the links you provided last night--but I got so absorbed I got lost and never posted my thoughts.

The link you said was outdated but good is very good! Lots of information has been gathered there.

I've had my attention on these type of things for the past year or two, and although I hadn't looked into the sun's role very much, I knew somehow (in my gut) that the sun was playing a big part. But I'm kind of amazed at some of the stuff I read and so I have to read some more.

Do you have any more links?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
In reviewing the article and the sites, I'm going to have to go along with Dr. Bellini on this one:

In a follow-up email to National Geographic News, Bellini questioned the scientific validity of Berkland's predictions. He said they appear to be "self-selected statistical analysis of historical seismicity rates and are so vague in time and location that they are certain to be correct."
news.nationalgeographic.com...

You can find almost any pattern if you ignore the outliers.

Let's look at full moons and earthquakes:

The first two full moons in 2002 were January 28 and February 27.
www.annexed.net...

There were two HUGE quakes in El Salvador... January 13 and Feburary 13. No hit there. You can do this for a lot of quakes.

Okay, but what about quakes in general -- not just the ones that hit inhabited lands? We could do a little direct research for ourselves.

Here's where you get the data on STRONG earthquakes by year. Remember that the instrument sensitivity improves as technology improves, so you see more of them as time goes on.
nsmp.wr.usgs.gov...

Open the files and check directly from the raw data. IF it's real, what you will see is an increasing number of quakes leading up to the full moon, a big quake or several in that 1-2 day period and then a decreasing number of big quakes for a month. It will go in cycles.

I haven't looked at all the data (I'll leave that to anyone interested) but I will hypothesize that if you look at 5 to 10 years worth of data, you will not see that pattern. Remember, to be true, the pattern MUST occur in 110 out of those 120 months. If it occurs in only 60 of those 120 months, that's not a true pattern.

(this has to do with how scientists prove things like whether or not pennicillin really does kill bacteria, and how we know the formulas to calculate what elevation and how much fuel is needed to launch a rocket, etc, etc.)

Still, I think you should crunch the numbers for yourself.

You can use other datasets, but to be accurate you need several years' worth of them. A pattern (false) can show up in 8 months of data that doesn't actually hold true in the long term.

Don't believe me? Just play the stock market or gamble for a bit. Patterns occur, but they don't mean anything for a very long term.

Originally posted by Deny0rder
But what about MARS? Anyone look up lately? Mars is getting REALLY REALLY close, and people say it will be the closest ever, and wont happen again an anyone's life time.

You're two years too late, here. It was at its closest ever two years ago. Now it's moving away.

Furthermore, the amount of influence its gravity has on the Earth is untraceable. Remember that it's a smaller planet than the Earth, has a lesser gravity -- AND the effects of the gravity are cut by the inverse square law.

In fact, if you stand yourself next to an active fault, the gravity generated by your body is stronger than that of the planet Mars. Or Jupiter. Or Venus. And it's stronger than the gravity well produced by the moon (for that local spot.)

They say it might appear to be as big as the moon at one point, some time in August. That can also change the gravitational pull to be even greater.

Uhm, no they didn't. And that was two years ago. And no it didn't.

What does it have to do with storms? Well the weather all depends on atmospheric pressures, cold fronts, and warm fronts, and more. Well.. solar flares from the sun and these unexplainable huge explosions on the sun are probably heating up certain parts of the globe. That will change the pressure. And even cause tornados, and monsoons.

All of which take place on the surface of the earth. Most of the quakes, including some huge ones, take place a mile or so beneath the crust. That's far beyond the reach of atmospheric pressure and so forth.

So what was the point of NASA Mission Genesis? To collect Solar winds? Why? NASA gives us a blunt reason.. and not the full story.

Why wouldn't it be?

So what's going on with our sun? They say between now and the middle of August we will be rotated towards a very active spot on the sun.

Okay, we need some basic astronomy here:

We rotate once every 24 hours (which is why we have day and night.) The sun rotates every 27 days.
science.nasa.gov...

So, once a month, every part of our planet has faced every part of the sun. On each day, every part of our Earth directly faces the sun for about 1 hour.

I think the website or resource that you're seeing is full of hot air and doesn't know anything about even junior high school science.

Remember, when you see a site with extraordinary claims, first check out the basics of what's known. A little work with finding out rotation would have caused you to dismiss the second part of the theory.

The first part certainly is worth looking at, but I think you'll find that the pattern doesn't actually hold. You can confirm by spot checking data as well as intensively checking data. I haven't done that, but I'd be willing to bet that there's no relationship at all.

(the reason I'd bet that is because someone would have noticed it about the time they were doing the "hospitals get crazy at the full moon" stories.)

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
effects of the december earthquake and the massive star explosion that reached our planet 2 days later blanketing our planet with space stuff may have cause a great amount of damage.unknown but they are studying it as i speak.im finding clouds in the higer atmosphere are forming.they look like white spray painted clouds.i never seen them before and i have a great concern about them....

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It wasn't anything but the light of the star exploding that reached us. As far away as the CLOSEST star is to us it would take a very long time for anything to get here There are plenty of natural phenomenon here on Earth that can cause clouds to look different than normal that are perfectly harmless.

E_T

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

But what about MARS? Anyone look up lately? Mars is getting REALLY REALLY close, and people say it will be the closest ever, and wont happen again an anyone's life time.

You're two years too late, here. It was at its closest ever two years ago. Now it's moving away.
Yeah, and five years ago there was "super conjunction" with all five naked eye viewable planets in same line inside 30 degree area with moon and sun but did world end?

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Dude you should do more reading before you make yourself look stupid...

MARS IS GETTING CLOSER!

I know it happened two years ago, if you knew some "basic astronomy" like you think you do, and posted like you do, you would know mars is on its way back.

I admit the things i heard on the radio a week ago was "it will be as big as the moon" and "closer than 2 years ago" ..but later it was proved to be false and i didnt edit my post yet, it was even false 2 years ago, but that is what "they say" not me. It is going to be VERY close, but not THAT close, around October 31.

Ive been watching mars get closer the last few nights, and see it getting brighter every day.. here is a few links to make you feel dumb.

space.about.com...

science.nasa.gov...

marswatch.amaonline.com...

Byrd you are one major conflict after another.

First you say

Furthermore, the amount of influence its gravity has on the Earth is untraceable.

Then right after you go and talk as if you knew the "amount of influence" Mars, Jupitor, AND Venus, has on the Earth, after you said it was untraceable.

In fact, if you stand yourself next to an active fault, the gravity generated by your body is stronger than that of the planet Mars. Or Jupiter. Or Venus. And it's stronger than the gravity well produced by the moon (for that local spot.)

Even if you think that it is "untraceable", it is not. Actually we have a tool that has been around before man even existed that can measure the gravitational effects. Its called water. The ocean, and lakes. Very good tool for measuring the gravitational effects from the moon, mars, and an other planets. Thats why we have "tides", because of the moon, and other planets. Its funny how our tides are a bit higher when mars is a bit closer.

By the way.. have you herd of the new way astronomers are looking for planets that they cant see? Ill tell you. They focus a camera on a star with a time lapse. And when they watch the footage later, they will look for a "wobble". If the star "wobbles" side to side that means its got a planet or other body rotating around it and the gravitational pull of the planet or body itself is actually pulling the sun, making it move. Intresting how a planet can move a sun. You think the sun can move the planet? you bet.

And what i was saying about the Sun, is that one side of it is having unusual solar flares and explosions outputting a lot more than normal electromagnetic radiation and charged particles. A side that hasnt rotated towards us yet. I already know "basic astronomy" and know how long it takes for the sun to rotate, and for earth to rotate. That makes it easyer for us and others to predict when (with an exact date) that the sun will face its newest stormy surface towards us. I think that is also why we have "GOES" (Geostationary Orbiting Environmental Satellite), that can monitor the Sun's surface for outbursts and therefore warn us. This early warning can give us on Earth a few hours to prepare for potentially harmful effects.

Here is another site about how the Sun cause major power outages. And how the sun effects machinery and other stuff on earth, and how we monitor the sun now because ti also effects satalites , gps, and flying aircraft, which can be very dangerous.

vathena.arc.nasa.gov...

All of which take place on the surface of the earth. Most of the quakes, including some huge ones, take place a mile or so beneath the crust. That's far beyond the reach of atmospheric pressure and so forth.

I wasnt saying weather has anything to do with earthquakes, im saying the sun is causeing earthquakes. And the suns solar flares are causeing weather weirdness because it is changing temperatures, and the chaning temperatures are cuasing changes in air pressure, and we all know how air pressure works.. air always moves towards the areas with LESS pressure, like if you popped a ballon.

Here is what I think happens.. the sun is the only reason we have an orbit, earth is riding a big circle of gravity that is made by the sun. Say the sun change's in some weird unimaginable way, causeing our big circle to get more powerfull or even less powerfull, and pull the earth in some direction or another. Our earth is a bunch of crust FLOATING on magma. So one slight tug from the sun, the moon, or whatever, will put some stress on our already stressed out fault lines. Following a "pattern" by watchin the full moons...will not work, you might see a slight pattern, but this is mother nature not a metronome, earthquakes can happen any time.. any day.... I think the sun, or the moon will push one major earthquake.. like the one that happend before the asian tsunami
then that earthquake will trigger others... Imagine a bunch of peices of sliced bread floating close together in a bath tub full of water..touch one peice.. the rest will move.

I haven't looked at all the data (I'll leave that to anyone interested) but I will hypothesize

Please dont hypothesize without looking at ALL the data.

Hypothesis is a tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that CAN be tested by further investigation.

[edit on 31-7-2005 by Deny0rder]

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
As far as Mars getting closer still, I searched on Google and every article I found on it was from 2003 when Mars was at its closest in 60,000 years.
Here's a little info from Space.com.

Tidal effects on Earth from the large bodies of the solar system, with the Sun's effect ranked as 1.
Moon 2.21
Sun 1.00
Venus 0.000113
Jupiter 0.0000131
Mars 0.0000023
Mercury 0.0000007
Saturn 0.0000005
Uranus 0.000000001
Neptune 0.000000002
Pluto 0.0000000000001

SOURCE: NASA

www.space.com...

[edit on 31-7-2005 by Zaphod58]

[edit on 31-7-2005 by Zaphod58]

E_T

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
It's clear your "basic astronomy" comes mostly from quacks whose only goal is selling truckloads of sh*t.

Tide maximums happen when moon and sun are in same line whit earth, effect of other solar system bodies is literally like you would try to change course of aircraft carrier by colliding it with rowing boat.

And no, they don't see any visual wobbling, they use very small changes in redshift and it works only if planet is big enough (Jupiter like gas giant) and/or its orbit is small and even then change which has to be detected is very hard to detect because movement is very small... it's like million kilometer sized object changing its position ten meters. (watched from such distance that this million km sized object shows as dot)

And do you even know what geostationary orbit is?
Because those satellites would be quite useless for giving "early" warning.

And nope, winds rotate around low pressure areas... hurricanes (which are very strong low pressures) are excellent examples of that.

Following a "pattern" by watchin the full moons...will not work, you might see a slight pattern, but this is mother nature not a metronome, earthquakes can happen any time.. any day....
So you now deny what you told in first post...
Way to go!

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
It's clear your "basic astronomy" comes mostly from quacks whose only goal is selling truckloads of sh*t.
Tide maximums happen when moon and sun are in same line whit earth, effect of other solar system bodies is literally like you would try to change course of aircraft carrier by colliding it with rowing boat.
And no, they don't see any visual wobbling, they use very small changes in redshift and it works only if planet is big enough (Jupiter like gas giant) and/or its orbit is small and even then change which has to be detected is very hard to detect because movement is very small... it's like million kilometer sized object changing its position ten meters. (watched from such distance that this million km sized object shows as dot)
And do you even know what geostationary orbit is?
Because those satellites would be quite useless for giving "early" warning.
And nope, winds rotate around low pressure areas... hurricanes (which are very strong low pressures) are excellent examples of that.

Following a "pattern" by watchin the full moons...will not work, you might see a slight pattern, but this is mother nature not a metronome, earthquakes can happen any time.. any day....
So you now deny what you told in first post...
Way to go!

The reason there wont be a "pattern" is because more than one thing can cause an earthquake. I never said anything in my first post saying there would be a pattern from lunar effects alone...

And here is a site i found about "wobble watching". This is NOT what i read to find this information.. i was taught about this method on Descovery Channel and other military sources. Im sorry i should have not use lamens terms.. the method of watching stars move is called Astrometry. To watch positions, AND motions of stars, with many methods.

ad.usno.navy.mil...

www.astrometry.org...

Obviously the maker of this site knows about it to... Astronomy and Earth Science: Wobble Watching revisited.

And another... scroll down to the paragraph called "watching the wobbles".
www.rps.psu.edu...

Maybe E_T , you should learn what Red Shift is exactly.... And its not just called Red Shift it is called "Doppler Shift". When the star's light spectra moves into the reds it means it is moving away from us. When it moves into the blue spectra it is moving towards us.

www.astro.ucla.edu...

And it DOESNT ALWAYS ONLY shift with big planets..IT DOES shift with smaller planets, but it is a small change.. but.. still, its a change in color, and if you graduated kindergarden you would know what colors to add to change it to another. And if you had some common sense you would know what colors to subtract to get another color.

And about winds rotating in low pressure areas... come on man.. really.

Q: What causes the wind to rotate in low pressure areas?

A: High pressure areas around it.

Q: Why do you think hurricanes mainly only form in tropical regions?

A: Because it is warmer near the equator, in the tropical regions.

Q: Why is it warmer?

A: How about you answer that one E_T. Let me give you a hint, starts with S ends with N.

Then read this: science.howstuffworks.com...

Q: Why is temperature important?

A: Because hot air is less dense than cold air, and when hot and cold air collide, the hot air is forced to rise over the colder air. Cold air typically is dryer than warm air and originates from our planet's poles. Warm air comes from the tropics/equator. Whenever cold dry air moves away from the poles, it eventually encounters warm wet air moving away from the equator. The warm wet air is forced up and over the cold air. When the warm air is forced up, it causes surface air pressure to drop, sort of like having a small vacuum develop at the earth's surface at the boundary between the two air masses. Cold air rushes in to fill the area of lower air pressure, which causes more warm air to be displaced upward, and more cold air moves in, forcing more warm air upward, and a cycle starts to develop. Also, factor-in that the earth rotates from west to east, dragging the atmosphere with it. The low-pressure area (also known as a low pressure center or system) starts to rotate, and all this moving air creates wind, and lots of it. In the north hemisphere, wind rotates counter-clockwise around a storm center, and clockwise in the south hemisphere (this driven by the Coriolis effect).

www.stormsurf.com...

Geostationary :

Of, relating to, or being a satellite that travels above Earth's equator from west to east at an altitude of approximately 35,900 kilometers (22,300 miles) and at a speed matching that of Earth's rotation, thus remaining stationary in relation to Earth.

So what if we had more than one geostationary satellite on the equator parallel to each country? Well when one countrys satellite detects a change in the sun, the county next to it would be ready for it right?

To easy.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Deny0rder]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Plus we are in the middle of summer that means we are really close to the sun.

The N. Hemisphere is in the middle of summer, which means that the S. Hemisphere is in the middle of winter. Seasons don't dictate our proximity to the Sun, though the tilt of the Earth does.

And for the record, during the summer/winter of the N/S (respectively) Hemispheres we are actually farther away from the Sun than we are in the winter/summer of the N/S Hemispheres.

So.. what do you all think?

I think that there is a difference between having knowledge and posting a bunch of links and quotes and claiming it as knowledge.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I have a question on this. Last I heard on this subject we were not coming out of the solar maximum as expected. Has the data on this changed, and we have, or are we still above the curve. I have been unable to find the data on the web in the limited time I have available as of late.

Edit to add:

I mean like reliable data. Space weather used to show the charts, but I cannot find it on their site. I can find predictions, but no hard over time data. The last time I even looked at this subject was back during the whole AB, space dust affecting the sun thing that went down last summer.

[edit on 8/1/2005 by defcon5]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The increase in sun activity is related to increases in cosmic dust. In 2000, cosmic dust into our solar system increased threefold. The following years saw exceptionally server weather such as the 2003 hurricane Isabel with wind speeds over 300 MPH (second highest ever recorded). Also in 2003 Arkansas was heavily damaged in one of the most intense outbreaks of tornadoes in 53 years of record-keeping, and a heat wave in Europe killed 12,000. From European Space Agency's online news story of 01 Aug 2003 "we can expect even more interstellar dust from 2005 onwards, once the changes become fully effective." But, that is only the first volley of dust, the second one is three times more intense.

www.space.com...

edit to include url

I pulled this off the space.com website which gives a bit more info on the dust cloud we're into now. There was a more detailed look at it a few weeks ago, but it has disappeared, for some reason.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think you forgot the period in www.space.com But either way that link or article is dead now.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Oh man...I'm such a clutz...should work fine now.
Sorry about the stumbling addition but, there was a really good page with streaming vidio which did exist a few weeks ago...I wish I had saved it.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Cool, link works now…

The fresh influx is related to a periodic weakening of the Sun's magnetic field.
The discovery was made using data from ESA's Ulysses spacecraft, which orbits the Sun on a noncircular path between Earth and Jupiter and his been monitoring the situation since 1992. The probe detects small particles and, based on direction, mass and speed, figures out which ones came from outside the solar system.

Threefold increase
The number of interstellar dust grains increased from four per day, per meter in 1997 to 12 per day in 2000, Landgraf said. The results were announced earlier this month. He expects the rate to stay constant until 2005, and then increase by another factor of 3 prior to 2013….

The solar system is always plowing through interstellar material. The Sun's giant magnetic field thwarts much of the dust from entering the solar system. But the magnetic field weakens periodically, on a cycle that lasts roughly 22-years. The cycle is related to an 11-year cycle of sunspot activity.

A few interesting facts in this article: The way it reads, the dust is not the cause, but rather a symptom of a change in the sun. Also the prophecy folks should find it somewhat interesting that it is going to continue to be an increasing issue until 2013, a month after the big 12/12/12…

Any astronomy buffs out there want to explain what the G-Cloud we are entering is and what effect it is having on the current situation?

[edit on 8/1/2005 by defcon5]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

This web page is out dated but look:
www.handpen.com...

The following years saw exceptionally server weather such as the 2003 hurricane Isabel with wind speeds over 300 MPH (second highest ever recorded).

I'd like to know how Isabel's max winds jumped from an unsustained gust measured at 233MPH to 300MPH.

Source

The Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters made 39 center fixes during Isabel. The NOAA Hurricane Hunters made two formal center fixes and flew seven research missions into the storm. The highest winds measured by the aircraft were 158 kt (Air Force at 700 mb) and 157 kt (NOAA at 8400 ft) between 1700-1730 UTC 13 September. A 156-kt flight-level wind (700 mb) was also observed at 1719 UTC 12 September. Stronger winds were observed on eyewall dropsondes, with a maximum of 203 kt reported at 806 mb (4500 ft) at 1753 UTC 13 September. This is the strongest wind ever observed in an Atlantic hurricane, although it likely does not represent a 1-min average.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Plus we are in the middle of summer that means we are really close to the sun.

The N. Hemisphere is in the middle of summer, which means that the S. Hemisphere is in the middle of winter. Seasons don't dictate our proximity to the Sun, though the tilt of the Earth does.

And for the record, during the summer/winter of the N/S (respectively) Hemispheres we are actually farther away from the Sun than we are in the winter/summer of the N/S Hemispheres.

You are right.. In fact, the Earth is furthest away from the Sun in June when it is summer in the northern hemisphere.

The problem is.. I speak as if everyone lived in the Northern Hemisphere because i live in the U.S and sometimes forget this is the WORLD WIDE WEB..

And instead of me saying we are "realy close to the sun" i should have said we are "facing the sun more". And because we are "facing the sun more" that makes us more vualnerable to the sun flares and solar dust that is GOING TO GET WORSE as our ellipse shaped orbit around the sun gets LITERALLY closer to the sun by september.

Well I guess I have to watch how I use my words in these posts.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

And because we are "facing the sun more" that makes us more vualnerable to the sun flares and solar dust that is GOING TO GET WORSE as our ellipse shaped orbit around the sun gets LITERALLY closer to the sun by september.

And you got this information from? Or is this something else you're taking out of context or exaggerating?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join