It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyer: Saddam Trial Should Be Relocated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
A lawyer for Saddam Hussein said that insurgency in Irag has made Baghdad too dangerous a place to hold the trial. He believes it should be moved to another country. Saddam's defense team has asked the Swedish government about the possibility of holding the trial there.

abcnews.go.com
LONDON Jul 18, 2005 — A lawyer for Saddam Hussein said Monday that Iraq's insurgency has made Baghdad far too dangerous a venue for the former leader's trial, and that the proceedings should be moved to another country.

Giovanni di Stefano said Saddam's defense team has contacted the Swedish government about the possibility of holding a trial there. But Swedish Justice Ministry spokesman Alexander Valentin said Monday that he was not aware of any official request.

"Do you fancy spending a year or more in Baghdad, going to court five days a week? Would you feel safe there?" di Stefano said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't think that Saddam's trial should be moved from the country of where his crimes were done. He should face up like a man to what he did in front of his own people. I will be seriously surprised if the Swedish Government allows the trial to take place within their country.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Why would the insurgency want to kill him? they know hes going to die anyway and besides wouldn't the insurgency be on his side?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
What a joke. There is only one reason they want the trial moved to Sweden; they outlawed the death penalty in 1921

www.infoplease.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Well that would make perfect sense on why they want it there. What a chicken.
I don't think the government will allow it though. If they want to move it, move it to Afghanistan, or somewhere like that not some country that doesn't have a full extent of law.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
He should move to North Korea, that way he won't get the death Penalty because they like dictorship who kill a lot of people in that country.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
No North Korea would kill Saddam cause they would be afraid of getting the crap kicked out of them by a country they ticked off.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
You do your trial where you do the crime imo. Peers that's the key. How many peers does he have in Sweden? If they really have to move it, I'd say move it to Texas.

top topics

join