It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London Terror (PC) Virus Released

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
NOW THIS IS REALLY SICK, BUT HAVE TO SAY WAS PROBABLY EXPECTED BY SOMEONE OR ANOTHER GETTING THEIR KICKS OUT OF OUR HEART-ACHE

MessageLabs, a provider of email security and management services, has found a Trojan pretending to be an email posing as a video news clip of the recent London bombings.

The attachment instead contains a Trojan designed to compromise the recipient's computer. The email containing this Trojan has been made to appear as a CNN Newsletter that asks recipients to 'See attachments for unique amateur video shots'.

When executed, the attachment copies itself to %Windir%\winlog.exe and modifies the Windows registry key 'HKLM/Software/microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run' so that it runs automatically on system start-up.

The Trojan then attempts to obtain a list of the SMTP servers that the victims machine is configured to use and starts to use these servers to send large volumes of unsolicited mail.

The mail looks something like this:

Subject: TERROR HITS LONDON

Filename: 'London Terror Moovie.avi

MessageLabs noted a steep raise in 'legitimate' email volumes as they rose sharply yesterday morning due to the terrorist attacks in London.

TechTree.com

*(PC) added to title

[edit on 7-14-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Glad to see a post of this. But, is there not a more suitable genre forum for it, rather than "Website-Related"? Perhaps a U2U to a mod of this question would bring a proper direction for it. Personally, I consider this would be in the Terrorism forum, as this virus is directly related to such.

Ya know, releasing a virus under this pretense, to me, is akin to Necrophilism. Sick friggen people. All of them.

I went thru the posts and also tacked on a short post of this instance to all the London bombing threads, with a link to an artical about it.

Misfit

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
As cited on the link given by blackwidow666, here is the link to the BBC article on this matter:
Virus exploits London Tube bombs

Virus writers are using the London bombings to spread malicious programs.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I hate to say this but it could be part of the "terrorists" plan.

First the bombings then cyberattacks.

I remember watching a documentary "CyberTerror" where terrorists use two different ways to damage the infrastructure. Virtually and physically.

Just a thought.

peace

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
TrendMicro is calling it TROJ_DONBOMB.A
Here is a link TrendMicro

They are not considering it as being too much of a threat. There is no information on other other antivirus vendor sites such as McAfee of Norton.

A check of the SecurityWizardry site indicates no major issues around the world as yet SecurityWizardry.com

It is deplorable of the virus writers to use this tradegy, but they did the same thing back on 9/11.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012

They are not considering it as being too much of a threat.

I see turning ones machine into a mail relay (propegation of spam, possible diconnect from ISP as result) and the ablility to download other executable files as a serious threat.

But yes, I do see that AV co's see it as a low threat. Guess I consider ANY breach of a machine as serious.

Misfit

[edit on 11-7-2005 by Misfit]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Misfit,
Going on the characteristics that this trojan is displaying, then if you have up-to-date av and a decent firewall program, you should have not problems what so ever. I say this as most av software monitor suspicious activity and writing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Run would be considered suspicious.
(Edited to Add)
Also make sure that your OS is fully patched.

[edit on 11-7-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
lets make this little issue simple...
shall we...

I propose a new law (international)
If a virus writer is found guilty of writing a code that takes advantage of a national tragedy to disseminate a virus...
then they try him/her as if they were also involved in the national tragedy...

I.E. only suspect confirmed is UK citizen joe stupid for writing a virus that was disseminated via fake new reports on the tragedy...

He is being held without bond and will be tried for the murder of over 50 people... he is expected to serve life in prison without paroll...

that might prevent a few idiots from pulling this kind of crap...

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
As cited on the link given by blackwidow666, here is the link to the BBC article on this matter:
Virus exploits London Tube bombs

Virus writers are using the London bombings to spread malicious programs.

Thanks for moving this Seekerof

seekerof

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
if first the us, then london. who is next.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowstriker
if first the us, then london. who is next.

Probobly the US again, which I hope not.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
please edit the title of the thread its extremely misleading

i thought you were saying terrorists released a BIOLOGICAL WEAPON in London
and i find out ur talking about a pointless trojan virus bah

please edit the title to be more specific

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
If a virus writer is found guilty of writing a code that takes advantage of a national tragedy to disseminate a virus...

Ok, I'll back your new law if it also applies to politicians using said national tragedies to similar effect.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango

Ok, I'll back your new law if it also applies to politicians using said national tragedies to similar effect.

im 100% with u on that quango
good thinking

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Seriously? No, I don't think so. The public would never, ever support such a notion.

Are you also going to try to convict foodsellers who increase their prices in such an aftermath? Hoteliers who do the same? How about folk who take photos and either sell or donate them to "gore" sites?

After any tragedy - terrorist, natural, whatever - certain people will go out of their way to cash in on it in some way, or cause further disruption.

It's abhorrent, absolutely - but it's a huge leap to try them for the same crimes as the terrorists.

Now having said all that...virus creation is covered under various national and international laws, is it not? There are already laws in place relating to this.

top topics

join