It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I have grown up loving God and always believing in Him and I've found it quite pleasing but I've always wondered, whie having a slight clue, why don't people believe in God or become Athiests? What does it promise you? What is so appealing about it?

P.S. This isn't an attack on anyone I just really want to know

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9890
I have grown up loving God and always believing in Him and I've found it quite pleasing but I've always wondered, whie having a slight clue, why don't people believe in God or become Athiests? What does it promise you? What is so appealing about it?

P.S. This isn't an attack on anyone I just really want to know

Your thought process is clear in your post. Why not believe in god, you say. You think like this.

If everyone was to believe in god, and he did not exist, so what, no consequence. However, if he does exist, you will be rewarded.

So, just believe in something, even though there is no evidence of its existence. Even though it causes you to disregard fact. Nice thinking buddy. Nice typical thinking.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
ok so ya thanks for your attack on me and my religion and my way of thinking when in no way answering my question. nice answer buddy. nice typical athiest answer. oh BTW in no way am I disregarding fact I aint no 2 year old school girl that just popped out of my moms womb. Also BTW I know that doesnt make sense but remember I disregard all facts. It easy for you to say that when yo uhave no idea who I am or what I think:shk: So you can go worship some horse or a golden coin you found on the ground and I will go worship something with purpose

I'm out

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

How're those crabs?
j/k

Anyway,

People come to not believe in God or become athiests for many different reasons. Perhaps there were at one time believers, but things in their lives drove them down a different path. Maybe they saw no evidence of God in their lives and chose to abandon the belief.

Not all people are brought up with a belief in God, either.

As for athiests, it's likely because there is no positive proof of the existence of God through logical means. A belief in God, for many, is a belief in something that isn't logical, which isn't to say that it's necessarily irrational, either. What I mean is, some people want logical understanding and evidence and God doesn't fit in there for many, but for some, God does.

It depends on how people chose to see the world, how they've experienced religion, and how they choose to explain the world around them.

What does it promise? Nothing. And maybe that's what makes sense about it. The nothingness for some is more realistic then a heaven or a hell. Perhaps it's nothing but perhaps a ticket to enjoy this life without expecting something else to come.

I don't think you could describe the Athiest of Agnostic positions as appealing one way or another. They appeal to you if your line of thought is already leaning that way, not drawing once belivers over to non-believers, if you see what I mean. The questions about the existence of God lead people down different paths. Some see it as illogical to believe in God and can't take that leap of faith that many take.

I hope you'll respect non-believers as you expect believers to be respected.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm a catholic, but i have had days when i have my doubts about God, religion, Jesus and all the heavenly bodies. I can see where some people refuse to beleive in God. They dont eat babies, they are honest citizens and they have a heart too.
I beleive and those moments i dont are fleeting moments. But thats me.
I'm not sure if i'm answering anything here that will benefit you or answer your question- Just my 2 cents

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Ya those crabs are doing good having a good time
I noticed how you mentioned "I hope you'll respect non-believers as you expect believers to be respected". I have a feeling that is because it is on account of my second post but I do respect non-believers and I used to have friends that were non-believers until I moved. I'm ot saying their bad people maybe some of them are I guess so as not to stereotype but the above post i made was because I took seapeople's post not as an attack on my religion or the fact I'm a believer but I took it as a personal attack on myself(which it was) and I was just standing up for myself. If seapeople would like to come back and counter what I said I'd be happy to accomodate him. You can only insult someone personally so much until they break and believe me I have a very low breaking point.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Ya those crabs are doing good having a good time
I noticed how you mentioned "I hope you'll respect non-believers as you expect believers to be respected". I have a feeling that is because it is on account of my second post but I do respect non-believers and I used to have friends that were non-believers until I moved.

Yes, it was in reference to that

You had non believers as friends until you moved - what changed?

I'm ot saying their bad people maybe some of them are I guess so as not to stereotype

Sure, just so long as you remember that all Christians or belivers in God aren't good people, as well. Believing in God or a God doesn't not mean a person is good. Nor does disbelief mean a person is bad. It goes either way.

But, you didn't address anything I said other than the part about respect.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Why do you need to believe in something? Are you "lost" without it? Are you like the other billions of sheeple just flovking to the bs? Sorry, but Pebble People will beat any other all mighty powerful invisable people that live in the clouds you can come up with, cause I have proof of the Pebble People.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
well I don't know if I am lost without because I have never been without it. I think to me and maybe other people its just the idea that something bigger than us is out there and maybe it's a way to relieve the stress of death and the evilness of the world. And Yes I know that not all christians or believers in God are good people but maybe its the idea that we think theres a better place so as to get away from it all. Sorry for not mentioning about not all christians being good people. Parrhesia one person was like my best friend for the longest time until I moved way out of state and then he moved and things must've gotten busy because we never talk to eachother. It has nothing to do with him being an Athiest. AS for your other post I understand that there probably is no logical evidence of His existence and I think maybe thats the point of Him. But I'm not the pope so I don't know(I don't like the pope either). I can also see what you mean when something in their life drove them to not believe. Someone I know remember once asked me what he did for him lately and somethings I did agree on. I guess I can see how seapeople comes from when he says If everyone was to believe in god, and he did not exist, so what, no consequence. However, if he does exist, you will be rewarded. But he also says I disregard fact and if you would truly know me I don't disregard facts. I try to understand all of them. If I disregarded facts and only cared about what I think and what I know than why would I be writing this topic and using my time on this? So understand I try never to disregard fact.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
One of the reasons people stop believing in a "God" in my opinion is because they have learn to believe in themselves and the ones in charge of what goes around in their lives.

The concept of God has many definitions depending of your level of beliefs.

God was needed by ancient times since the beginning of the human species to separate themselves from other species in earth.

Humans can not be only “animals” we have to be special, with a common link to a higher being of divinity.

Some may need God and somebody like the Church to tell them how to live their lives.

Other need a God to justify what bad things are happening.

Other find comfort and purpose.

Some need a God to justify when they feel righteous and explain why they need to control others.

In my case I do not believe in Religion but I believe in a Creator of things, not male or female, we make a mistake to think in human standards or having a body, but to me we are pure beings of light outside our human shell and that is how I see our creator.

But rather of making it with human emotions like religion tend to do, my creator rather leave us to make our own decisions.

Its called free will.

This is my two cents.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Whats in it for them?
Its a quest for the truth(whatever it is) or just simply dismissing it and moving on to better things. Does god exist? Its irrelevant.

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Sorry, but Pebble People will beat any other all mighty powerful invisable people that live in the clouds you can come up with, cause I have proof of the Pebble People.

The wise and strong cobblestone people can totally whoop your pebble people's behinds. Fear the cobblestone people! They're watching you!!!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

In my case I do not believe in Religion but I believe in a Creator of things, not male or female, we make a mistake to think in human standards or having a body, but to me we are pure beings of light outside our human shell and that is how I see our creator.

I will just say that we do not believe God has a gender or a human body. Its just easier to call Him He or Him. Calling God it would be very disrespectful. If you want you can call God she. That is all.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I once thought the same way...and I'm still not sure...I try to remain religious but when there is so little evidence of Him, and so much evidence against Him, it makes you wonder...

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
I once thought the same way...and I'm still not sure...I try to remain religious but when there is so little evidence of Him, and so much evidence against Him, it makes you wonder...

There really isnt any evidence against Him. The big bang actually supports Him when you think about it. They never do explain where those atoms came from...

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I don't believe in God, but I do believe that the Christian ethics/morality has shaped my way of thinking. My mum was a christian, but my father was not although some of his side of the family are devout.

They took the choice to allow us to choose when we grew up and didn't christen us or anything. I chose not too, but haven't disregarded what is taught in the bible.

Just some food for thought, it is capable to live a good life and incorpaorate the same ethics as believers without necessarily believing in a God yourself.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
prolly cause, well... all aitheist I no when I ask them why they like to belive theirs no God, its cause they dont like the idea theres one dictator of all, they want to make their own choices and be their own God, they dont want to answer to someone for their wrong doings

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by yermom
prolly cause, well... all aitheist I no when I ask them why they like to belive theirs no God, its cause they dont like the idea theres one dictator of all, they want to make their own choices and be their own God, they dont want to answer to someone for their wrong doings

I've never thought of it that way but that seems very interesting and maybe what a lot of them think. And stumasons point is interesting too as the bible tells us to respect people and to treat them kindly which in a way is common courtesy but it is in the bible. Its not a bad idea to adopt the ethics not to be believing in anything but to be kind and treat people with respect

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

ok so ya thanks for your attack on me and my religion and my way of thinking when in no way answering my question. nice answer buddy. nice typical athiest answer. oh BTW in no way am I disregarding fact I aint no 2 year old school girl that just popped out of my moms womb. Also BTW I know that doesnt make sense but remember I disregard all facts. It easy for you to say that when yo uhave no idea who I am or what I think:shk: So you can go worship some horse or a golden coin you found on the ground and I will go worship something with purpose

I'm out

What is wrong with you? Was I wrong in pointing out what you were thinking? We both know the answer to that is no. You figure, believe in god, and you are "covered". If he doesn't exist, then oh well, no loss. If he does however, you will be rewarded.

How about this Mr. "I DISREGARD ALL FACTS", go pick up one of those "secular" science books. In it you will find a whole lot of very important information. 99% of it is not in the bible that you love so dearly. To the contrary, it is CONTRADICTORY to whats in your bible.

And I did answer your question, by scoffing at it. "What does it promise you", is what you said. You see, whats wrong with people like you, is that you don't realize that what you say is every bit as insulting as anything I say. Constant babble about going to hell, the most horrible thing thinkable correct? Christians constantly tell us non-christians that we are going there. Thats insulting.

Also, you mentioned that you were not upset at my attack on religion, but rather the personal attack. Don't flatter yourself. I am attacking your thought process. Don't take it personally, because I do it to everyone.

I honestly see something in your post 9890, that I don't see elsewhere. Sincerety. Being that I see this quality, I challenge you to take some time to talk with me, to see how sincere I am as well. To see that I am not an evil satan worshipper. See that I live a decent life, and I help others. More so than most christians could say for themselves. Take my challenge and see my side of the story. Thats what you wanted according to your post.

[edit on 6/1/2005 by Seapeople]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Again,

Typical christian rhetoric.

Yermon, I assure you that you are wrong. I also assure you that you are precisely the christian hypocrit that I always attack on this forum. You represent the thought process of millions of people who refuse to even consider factual information. You are what is wrong with this country.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by yermom

Actually.. I have met NO atheists that are atheists for this reason.. I am one because I desire discovering fact over 'truth'.. avoiding punnishment has nothing to do with it.. in fact it makes me accountable straight away. If I do something wrong I won't wait till just before I die to atone for it.. and when I do the 'right' thing [which is just in my nature
] ..I don't do it just so I can get some supernatural reward.

[edit on 1-6-2005 by riley]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join