It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Fear of Civil War Spreads Across Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
According to Iraqis, the collective effervescence of the January elections has faded. Now the political concern has shifted from organized government to a possible chaotic civil war. Interviews with Iraqis from all over the country reveal that suggest that the nation fears an imminent conflict between the Sunni and Shiite Muslims resulting in a civil war that would overwhelm the newly created Iraqi government as well as the 14,000 US troops that are stationed in the area.

fairuse.1accesshost.com
Explosions rip through marketplaces, scattering blood and vegetables and leaving women wailing in the alleys. Bodies bob in rivers and are dug up from garbage dumps and parks. Kidnappers troll the streets, sirens howl through morning prayers and mortar rounds whistle against skylines of minarets.

Iraqis awake each day to the sounds of violence. With little respite, many wonder whether strange, terrible forces are arrayed against them. They fear that weeks of sectarian and clan violence, claiming the lives of all types from imams to barefoot fishermen, are a prelude to civil war.

"I'm worried 24 hours a day," said Zainab Hassan, a university student majoring in computer science. "Whenever I hear bomb or shooting, I call my mother and husband to check if they're OK. I can see a civil war coming, it's obvious. Everybody is talking about it. We have to be more careful."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iraqis claim that the former Saddam regime have created a deep disdain between the Sunni and Shiite population, that it has carried despite the topple of Saddam Hussein.

Nearly 700 people have been killed by bombings, shootings, and beheadings just last month. US officials accuse Abu Musab Zarqawi of trying to instigate the war between the Sunni and the Shiites.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Target: Applecart

US officials accuse Abu Musab Zarqawi of trying to instigate the war between the Sunni and the Shiites.

That has been the plan all along, and killing people is much easier than organizing them.

Zarqawi and Al Qaeda obviously don't give a tinker's damn about Iraq or its people.

Al Qaeda's openly and repeatedly stated goal has always been to divide Muslims and non-Muslims in a world war.

Their actions prove beyond all doubt that they don't mind killing as many Muslims as it takes to do that.

Those who think Al Qaeda has no chance of winning would do well to consider what is really going on here.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I find it humorous that the latest and greatest reason for ousting Saddamn, to liberate and democratize Iraq, is now being threatened by civil instability. Quite convenient..........wouldn't want oil interests actually being controlled by the people who inhabit the region......

I think at this point, speculation and skepticism should be employed when dealing with anything media release regarding Iraq and its ongoing soap opera.............

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Iraq is just an extremly violatile area simply due to the fact that its an extremly holy area. The same goes for the entire Middle East. When Theocracy and religion institutions have such an iron grip over it's people, violence is the only result.

[edit on 5/30/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Social unrest can be the result of religious conflict but the coinciding of it with our most unceremonious intervention should not be overlooked. I did a piece awhile back telling of how the Army was planning to incorporate comic books into a social engineering for the Middle East population that would help to instill nationalism, cultural pride, etc. via consumerism......the consumerism being the kicker. All in all the piece is unrelated except for the indication of our militaries involvement with not only the political structure over there, but the psychological mindset of the overall population. The Iraq situation is incredibly volatile, but not just because of the religious aspects. You have competing sides for political, economic, and even social aspects in their brand new society......not surprising the conflict, but it does help demonstrate that Bush is talking out of his butt when he declares how all about the Iraqi citizenry our involvement is........they are fighting amongst themselves and have even shown that a large number of them decidedly want us(U.S.) out.

Moral of the story......religious conflict always carries with it other motives and only the poor saps who actually go through the physical motions believe the religious reasonings......

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Civil war will always be part of any regime change, the fact that US is caught in it is something we have to deal with.

The animosity between tribes has always been present in that volatile area of the middle east, is hierarchy among the religious leaders to control the masses and is a reason why.

The biggest mistake of us the westerners are to think that others can turn just like us, but you have to understand that tampering with hundreds of years of believes and way of thinking is something that cannot be done with only a few years of occupation.

Too bad that our soldiers have been force to try and control what eventually is going to happen.

To me they are becoming now the victims of this war, alone with the innocent that have died.

So far the efforts of our administration to control Iraq has not been successful.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
la times , eh ?

well...it very well may be true....oil has been shooting up against growing inventories . concerns about the health of someone too.

I'm going with another well contrived/fabricated problem to be solved...whose objective is yet unknown...

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
85 views, 6 replies and still no upgrade or bin!!!!!

Im getting sick of hearing myself moan about voting so im gonna stop!

See how many days this submission floats around the board before enough people vote yes or no!!!!!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
the Sunnis and the Shiites will go at it like they have for centuries. Meanwhile, the Kurds will mop up whatever's left, if they want.

top topics

join