It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Al Qaeda Number Three Captured in Pakistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Abu Faraj al-Libbi has been captured in Pakistan. The arrest took place earlier this week and has been confirmed. No other details were available.

news.bbc.co.uk
Senior Libyan al-Qaeda suspect Abu Faraj al-Libbi has been arrested in Pakistan, the government says.
Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said the suspect had been caught earlier in the week.

He would give no details of the arrest. Other reports said two suspects were captured in the Waziristan region of North West Frontier Province on Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is great news. I just hope that a lot of 'hard' information such as hard-drives and CD's were found at the time of the arrest, as i don't think it will be easy to get true information from al-Libbi himself.

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

[edit on 4-5-2005 by sanctum]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Who is this guy?

I've never heard this name before, though I do acknowledge some difficulty with the multi-syllabic muslim names that seem to permeate the airwaves. Perhaps its the Meccan equivalent of "John Doe".

No matter, hook him up to the jumper cables and politely question him.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by periwinkle blue
Who is this guy?

I've never heard this name before, though I do acknowledge some difficulty with the multi-syllabic muslim names that seem to permeate the airwaves. Perhaps its the Meccan equivalent of "John Doe".

No matter, hook him up to the jumper cables and politely question him.

According to the body of the story he has not always been number three he must have gotten promoted when they captured another.

Libbi is said to have become third in the al-Qaeda hierarchy after Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was caught in 2003.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by periwinkle blue
Who is this guy?

In Washington, a U.S. intelligence official had no details of the arrest but said al-Libbi's capture is "very significant."

Ahmad said there had not yet been any requests from the United States to interview al-Libbi.

In another raid, this one early Wednesday in Bajore on the northwestern frontier near the Afghan border, intelligence officials and local police told CNN seven al Qaeda members were arrested.

CNN

Al-Libbi -- a Libyan who had a $1 million bounty on his head -- and three other al Qaeda suspects were arrested Monday in Mardan, a city in a Pakistani province on the border of Afghanistan.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Bush welcomes latest al-Qaeda capture.

US President George W. Bush has said that the capture of al-Qaeda's number three, Abu Faraj al-Libbi, in Pakistan, had removed "a direct threat" to the United States.

"Today's report of the capture of a top Al-Qaeda operative, Abu Faraj al-Libbi, represents a critical victory in the war on terror," declared after Osama bin Laden's network carried out the September 11 attacks, said Mr Bush.
"Al-Libbi was a top general for bin laden, he was a major facilitator and chief planner for the Al-Qaeda network. His arrest removes a dangerous enemy who is a direct threat to America and to those who love freedom," he added.

Source

Sanc'.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I bet he's got a good alibi. Baddoom tish

Sorry couldnt resist

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

U.S. President George W. Bush on Wednesday immediately hailed the arrest of Abu Faraj al-Libbi, and that of 10 other suspected al Qaeda members, as a "critical victory in the war on terror."

CNN

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
He has been crying dirty tears.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
First Time I hear about this Guy too.

And whats this on his Face anyway?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'll take a guess and say he/it was 'mega maced'.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Wonderful news! I to hope this animal can be of some use in the removal of the rest of them.

Roper

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Informed investigators working for the Pakistani military say Libbi, who suffers from the skin disorder, luecoderma, and used the alias Dr Tawfiq, had not initially been considered a major player in al-Qaeda by Pakistani authorities.

It was only through the interrogation of a number of suspects - arrested between January and August last year - that the Pakistani authorities started taking note of his presence in the hierarchy, investigators say.

One security official said: "Every time we interrogate a militant linked to al-Qaeda, al-Libbi's name pops up."

BBC

Maybe he wasn't maced after all.
Anyway, i think that would be the least of his problems at the moment.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
That clears it up.

Looks really like he was crying Dirty Tears.

And exactly around his Eyes - Strange Indeed, like he is Marked or something....

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
wouldn't it behoove these jihadists to blow themselves and a few infidels up before being captured? fat cats are the same, no matter the stripe or tribe, the world over, i reckon.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
...AND A FACE ONLY A "MULLAH" COULD LOVE....................

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The War On Terror is far from Over it's over 4yrs is it and terror no# 1 hasn't been captured? I doubt we will see this in our lifetime.. This whole war on terror is just a sham, one question the 700 terror suspects that the u.s and Pakistan has calim to capture, whena rae we going to see some military tribunal trials?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Nothing is ever good enough for you liberals is it? When the U.S. catches Bin Laden, you people will totally ignore it and bitch about the fact that there are still terrorists in the world.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hush lil Conservatitive....... I am not a liberal, it seems you all have a problem of all those who lambast the Bush administration foolishness, are branded LIBERALS, ! Stop this Politicking name calling..

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by crusader
The War On Terror is far from Over it's over 4yrs is it and terror no# 1 hasn't been captured? I doubt we will see this in our lifetime.. This whole war on terror is just a sham, one question the 700 terror suspects that the u.s and Pakistan has calim to capture, whena rae we going to see some military tribunal trials?

Very difficult to have military tribunals when the terror suspects keep getting shot while trying to escape.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Phew...another evil Muslim, hell-bent on totally destroying my way of life and implementing his vile interpretation of religious doctrine has been taken out of the loop.

I, for one, will sleep a lot easier in my bed this evening.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join