It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The $35,000 Taxi ride down the 'Road of Death'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
When was the last time a Six Mile Taxi ride cost $35,000? If you are in the heart of central Baghdad get ready to shell out some serious paper chase in order to make a speedy 'get away' to the Baghdad International Airport.

Last November, a security consultant told David Corn that a six-mile cab ride from Central Baghdad to Baghdad International Airport cost $6,000. Now it's up to $35,000. Read what New York Times Iraq correspondent Dexter Filkins recently told NBC Meet the Press host Tim Russert:

"RUSSERT: There is a road, a highway from the airport to downtown Baghdad that's called the Road of Death by many. I understand there's a taxi service on that road to take someone from downtown to the airport.

FILKINS: Yeah. There's actually a company in Baghdad that does nothing except offer rides to the airport and back. They've got armored cars and some guards. And they charge $35,000 for...

RUSSERT: Thirty-five thousand dollars?

FILKINS: For a ride to the airport. And I think you know, if you miss your plane and you have to come back, it's another $35,000. But...

RUSSERT: How long--is it six miles?

FILKINS: I think it's about six miles, yeah. It's not a happy six miles. So, you know, they earn their money.

RUSSERT: Why have we been unable--or the Iraqis unable to protect that road, that stretch?

FILKINS: That's a real mystery. It's a really bad neighborhood that it goes through, and you know, people come in from both sides...I think in the dead of night, people come out and plant bombs and they stage attacks."
www.thenation.com...

This just illustrates how our efforts in Iraq are far from complete or manifested in the image we perceive for the nation. Insurgency has been on the rise since the recent elections. If we can't secure a 6 mile stretch of highway from terrorist attacks, then what gives us the impression that we can change the paradigm of the entire country?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I watched a video of that street and I wouldn't drive down there for $6,000 or $35,000.

hackjaponaise.cosm.co.jp...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I watched a video of that street and I wouldn't drive down there for $6,000 or $35,000.

Damn thats a lot of the enemy in one spot, one would think that much activity would draw the militaries attention.... maybe it did... but watching it i cant help but think that is a marine snipers dream....

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

What the hell is wrong with Iraq? These people are thugs. This isn't a battle between nations, it's an urban gang warfare. Therefore we should withdraw out U.S. troops from Iraq and replace them with equally thuggish scum from the gangs across the country. Let's at least make the odds fair.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

What the hell is wrong with Iraq? These people are thugs. This isn't a battle between nations, it's an urban gang warfare. Therefore we should withdraw out U.S. troops from Iraq and replace them with equally thuggish scum from the gangs across the country. Let's at least make the odds fair.

I was thinking the same thing waching that video. Bunch of coward (masked) hooligans. Nothing more.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Is that in Iraqi Dinar or US dollars?

If it's dinar it's only like $25.00 US

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom
Is that in Iraqi Dinar or US dollars?

If it's dinar it's only like $25.00 US

That's US dollars.
Big money.

EDIT: Just a note about the video I posted, I downloaded it in November 2004.

I think the video was shot on day 29 of Ramadan, which I believe was November 12 2004.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Its because the US is showing more politcal restraint then it should. If I was the commander there in Iraq I would have leveled everything within 100 yards of that road. Screw who ever is getting displaced. You need to be able to get to the airport and back with ease. So all the run down buildings and ambush points need to be cleared. But the international out cry that would happen if you demo'd all those buildings would be huge, regardless of whether or not the end result would make the area safer for everyone.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Could it be possible that the taxi service offering the ride is actually working with this group? Could be a scam run by these terrorists? I say we gather our marines together like in Fallujah and get ready for a road trip

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Simulacra why the change of heart concerning your opinion on the efficacy of the coalition occupation against the insurgency?

The media is purposefully hiding the reality of just how bad the security problem is in Iraq. It will play down this reality even moreso during times when its requested to be a political booster for the U.S. administration.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
Simulacra why the change of heart concerning your opinion on the efficacy of the coalition occupation against the insurgency?

It's hard to stick with one belief regarding this war. Beliefs are like...addictions. People align to one side and they start to become addicted to their side. When their belief is taken away from them they, When their 'addiction' is removed, they act like addicts.

Better to just look at the world how you see it, not how you believe in it.

new topics

top topics

join