It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hitler's Nurse Confides Her Account Of The Führer's Final Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
After 60 years of silence, Erna Flegel (93) has shared her account of an event in history that's been shrouded with controversy. As Hitler's nurse in the bunker where he was to end his life, she has chosen to share her personal account of what transpired shortly before his death. She describes a very frail and paranoid Hitler who, "didn't trust anyone any more - not even the cyanide capsule he swallowed."

news.bbc.co.uk
She also recalled trying to save the lives of the six children of Josef Goebbels, Hitler's propaganda chief, but said his wife Magda, who poisoned them, was "merciless".

Mrs Flegel said that after Hitler's suicide, Goebbels took over as leader, but no-one paid any attention to him.

"His last subordinates shot themselves in succession," she said. "And those who didn't shoot themselves tried to flee."

She said she remained, however. "I had to look after the wounded."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is quite fascinating. Even though her personal account does not really provide any fresh details, it's that much the better as it coincides with past statements from others who shared that bunker space. It's a living link to history that takes 60 years of mustering up the courage to relate.

Please check out that second link to the Guardian's interview with Frau Flegel - It adds a bit more meat to the bones...The answer to his final question is quite intriguing...

Guardian: Do you regret your role in the Third Reich? Or was this an exciting period for you?

Flegel: It's difficult when you have a society (the Nazis) and it's discussed afterwards by the left or the right. Often it's seen wrongly. Everyone has their own opinion.

I think she kind of skirted the question here....But regardless - Her death is imminent, and there can be solace taken in the fact that she's shared her viewpoint for the sake of historical accuracy.

Related News Links:
www.kron4.com
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Interesting. I remember reading just the other day the account of Hitler's bodyguard who was also in the bunker till the end. He's still a Nazi:

www.sundayherald.com...

...Misch was Hitler’s telephone operator and bodyguard, and today is the last surviving eyewitness to one of the most dramatic moments in history.

These days the former SS soldier lives just a few miles from his wartime bunker workplace, in a cosy wooden house with a well-kept lawn in the quiet neighbourhood of Rudow.

At the ripe old age of 88, Misch is still an imposing figure, with a steady handshake and good health.

Misch has lived in his little white house for the last 63 years, ever since he married his beloved Gerda in 1942 when the second world war was ravaging Europe and Nazi military power was at its peak. As a wedding gift from Hitler, he received a chest of fine champagne.

He's obviously not the last living witness then...

[edit on 2-5-2005 by kegs]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Yeah - I noticed that as I was submitting the story and searching for related links.

Apparently there is a document that was recently declassified....I believe....that contained several key-informant names which they then perused for questioning....I want to say it was performed by the CIA....I looked around for that article I saw earlier and can't seem to find it...

That link doesn't seem to work by the way

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hmm. Looks like something wrong with their server. Hopefully be back up later.

It does look like they've dug the old codgers up for the occasion. Pardon the pun

[edit on 2-5-2005 by kegs]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I suppose it's an indicator of how much the world has advanced and how much intervening history has taken place.... I really don't care what this nurse now has to say.
And I've been a lifelong military/history buff. This latest tid-bit just now seems petty and irrelevant.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I agree it seems like she side steped the question. But I am glad she has given her accaunt of the last days of Hitler. It is something more that can be addend to the knolege of that period. It will be interesting to read.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
you could probably have drank hitlers blood and got a good buzz

Hitlers personal doctor kept him so doped up no wonder he got all crazy towards the end... well pretty much from the start haha..

codiene injections into his spine... the guy like to mix bull testicals in the injections, he'd wake the furher up with an injection...

never reffered to hitler by name in his little journal only "the patient"

top topics

join