It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasons and the Anglican Church

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
"[ACNS source: Anglican Media Sydney and the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn]

Sydney Anglicans have sent a clear message to Freemasons across the state: your beliefs are “contrary to biblical Christianity.”

The strongly worded statement is part of a motion passed by Synod that describes the belief system as ‘fundamentally and irreconcilably incompatible’ with the Christian faith.

The motion calls on Christians who belong to a Masonic Lodge to resign their membership, as a demonstration of their commitment to Jesus Christ.

The Revd Bill Winthrop, rector of Lithgow Anglican Church, introduced the motion, cautioning that the problem of Freemasonry in Sydney congregations would not simply be solved with the passage of time.

He referred to plans by NSW Masonic Lodges to recruit younger members.

“We have an obligation to our church members to emphasise that Freemasonry holds and teaches beliefs that lead people away from Jesus Christ,” Mr Winthrop said."

www.anglicancommunion.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Let me ask you a question friend - how many ways are there to Interpret the Teachings & Doctrines & Theology of Judaism, Christianity & Islam - or any other Religion for that matter? Do you try to Interpret things for your self or do you go to your "Officially Authorized & Organized Religion Agent" - to tell you how to Think & What to Believe?!

Is being in a Fraternity or a Club Illegal in itself? Now do you get the Point?

Stop telling EVERYONE in the world how to Think & what to Believe & let them come up with their own conclusions & decisions in their own life!

GOD gave us all BRAINS & a FREE WILL you know!

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Let me ask you a question friend - how many ways are there to Interpret the Teachings & Doctrines & Theology of Judaism, Christianity & Islam - or any other Religion for that matter? Do you try to Interpret things for your self or do you go to your "Officially Authorized & Organized Religion Agent" - to tell you how to Think & What to Believe?!

Is being in a Fraternity or a Club Illegal in itself? Now do you get the Point?

Stop telling EVERYONE in the world how to Think & what to Believe & let them come up with their own conclusions & decisions in their own life!

GOD gave us all BRAINS & a FREE WILL you know!

I agree with you 110%

The scriptures and old written works are basically what all religions base thier dogma on. And as many written works their are, their are also that many interpritations. But even these works have been shown to have been misunderstood from translation to translation. Sometimes by a very honest mistake, and sometimes by a person or group with subversive intentions. Now saying that, you have every right to make your own mind up as to what a particular passage may mean, unless you belong to a religion that dosnt allow you the virtue of a free will to decide for yourself. Many religions demand that you believe all of it, or non of it, theirby ending your association with said religion.

Im not telling anyone what to believe. I just feel everyone, including masons, need to see these subjects. It is everyones right to decide for themselves, but unfair if only one side is presented for consideration. We all can see the apples skin, but you cant see the seeds unless you open the apple up.

The point? It appears that freemasonry's "Apple" has been compromized by a very rotten and ugly worm.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Quote: "It appears that freemasonry's "Apple" has been compromized by a very rotten and ugly worm."

And may I ask just how you came to this Conclusion?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Quote: "It appears that freemasonry's "Apple" has been compromized by a very rotten and ugly worm."

And may I ask just how you came to this Conclusion?

I wouldn't hold your breath, SS...

And just why do you suppose this is being said? It sounds to me like the battle cry of narrow-minded peole (aka fundamentalists) that believe if you don't condemn everyone else's beliefs you are a heretic or something. Good grief, man.

Most Masons are Christian (Though it may be by a small margin these days) and every Mason I know says that Masonry has STRENGTHENED their faith in God (or Jesus, where applicable). On top of thet, the Anglican church probably has more Freemason members than any church (That is total speculation on my part, however.) I know at least two on this very board that are Episcopalians, not to mention that the ever-so-popular Albert Pike was a devout Episcopalian (Anglican).

People really need to get a grip on the fact that it's just a fratenity for crying out loud...

[edit on 4/25/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It's very sad that some people in the Church (and this is not just limited to the Anglicans in Australia I can assure you) have taken an inaccurate view of freemasonry as truth and acted accordingly, causing great distress and upset to the many thousands of church members who are also freemasons.

The Archbishop of Canterbury made some ill-advised comments just after he took office which he subsequently has to 'clarify' because he was badly misinformed.

I can understand the Southern Baptists or some other fundamental christian organisation taking a dislike to freemasonry as we associate with non-christians; but mainstream churches really ought to know better.

I think they have some ignorance of their own which needs denying.

Now let me just have a look and see who started this thread... oh wow - it's All Seeing Eye. Good job she doesn't have an agenda or anything...

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye
"[ACNS source: Anglican Media Sydney and the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn]
www.anglicancommunion.org...

An interesting point to make here is that this happened in November 2003 and hasn't been brought up since.

(I follow such things...being a devout Anglican...and an active Mason) This was an isolated situation regarding one Bishop who spoke for HIS diocese only and NOT for the Anglican Church in Australia, nor for the World-wide Anglican Communion..of which my church, the Episcopal Church USA, is a part.

It's my personal believe that much of the hub-bub died down when it became apparent how many of his parishoners were Masons...denying them the sacrament and the right to attend Mass would mean denying the coffers of the church mucho $$$$.

Fortunately nothing that I know of has been said here in the U.S.A. regarding the Masons and the Episcopal (Anglican) Church by any Bishop I know of or by the Presiding Bishop and Primate of the E.C., USA.

In the end, it's my personal belief that Jesus meant it when he said "In my Father's house there are many dwelling places..."

Room enough for Masons and perhaps even a few crotchety old Bishops.

[edit on 25-4-2005 by senrak]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

In the end, it's my personal belief that Jesus meant it when he said "In my Father's house there are many dwelling places..."

You can have your personal belief, but below I quoted Jesus. Your saved by grace, but that is not a license to do whatever you want.

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

1Jo 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandment

Jesus also knew that there would be churches and people who gave lip service to Him, but not be followers of him.
The world paints the word "Christian" with a wide brush. The bible says that christians are those who actuall 'follow' Christ, and not those who SAY they do.

Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

So the Episipal church with its 'gay is ok' doctrine and all the rest of those that want "Unity at any price" are in for a surprise.
Dont get me wrong, there are christians within those churches who know the truth. Im speaking of the doctrine and those who support it.
But that is the truth of the matter.
You think that because someone feels good about what they are doing, its ok... but thats not what God teaches.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997

[much nonsensical fundamentalist Bible-thumping snipped]

You think that because someone feels good about what they are doing, its ok... but thats not what God teaches.

Well thank you preacher. Now why don't you take your Bible-thumping fundamentalism elsewhere...this topic is about the Anglican Church's opinion of Freemasonry. Your blatant attack on the Episcopal Church is pathetic. If you're really a Christian, you should be ashamed. Perhaps one day Jesus will say he never knew YOU! Think about that!

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Anglicans and Freemasons have fewer spats than Catholics and Freemasons. Of late I have met an increasing number of Anglican clergy who are Freemasons.

But I'm interested in the poor showing in Lithgow, a 'delightful' little historical coal mining town west of the Blue Mountains, beyond the hinterland of Sydney. Are they losing so many men in their congregation to alternative pastimes that it's time to pick a scapegoat?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
My entire family are Anglicans, and very proud of that fact. I am not what one would consider ultra religious but I am a christian who does her best each day to be kind and loving towards others, as God asks.

My father, as some will be aware from previous posts, was a Mason,
and proud of it too
. I did a little digging over the weekend and found his "suitcase" which he guarded and protected always. Inside.....guess what I found!........SHOCK HORROR.....A BIBLE! Gee, thats satanic, isn't it! (PLEASE note the sarcasm there).

His 'membership' card notes the following:

"As a Freemason you are to study the sacred law, to consider it as the unerring standard of Truth and Justice, and to regulate your life and actions by its Divine precepts.
Herein you are taught the Duty you owe to God, to your neighbour, and to yourself."

GOLLY gosh, that sounds SO evil........NOT!

Still, I have come to learn that ignorance is easier for some to deal with.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanse_nz
His 'membership' card notes the following:

"As a Freemason you are to study the sacred law, to consider it as the unerring standard of Truth and Justice, and to regulate your life and actions by its Divine precepts.
Herein you are taught the Duty you owe to God, to your neighbour, and to yourself."

GOLLY gosh, that sounds SO evil........NOT!

Still, I have come to learn that ignorance is easier for some to deal with.

What is on your father's card is part of the charge a mason receives during his initiation. Like we always tell people, masons live their lives according to God, family and country. There's really nothing more to it. But, like you said, sometimes ignorance is easier.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by senrak

Much hate snipped

I thought I heard things mentioned like Christian and scripture.

I now understand that neither of those are wanted here. Sorry for going off topic.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Quote: "Most Masons are Christians."

WOW what a Shocker! I know right - Sheesh!

So I guess this leads us to the Question: What is the Definition of "Christianity"?

This also leads us to a Conspiracy: "Have the Numerous Religions/Churches currently calling themselves Christian actually Assimilated True Christianity & are they in Reality Driven by Ideological Agendas & Greed for Secular, Temporal Wealth & Political Power = Absolute Control of the Mind & Actions of their Congregation".

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
Much hate snipped

There was no "hate" to BE snipped. What there was however is a strong dislike for Bible-thumping fundamentalists who are certain that THEY are adamantly RIGHT and everyone else is undenyably WRONG.

Your insinuation that Episcopalians and perhaps members of other faith communities are Hell-bound because of some scriptures you quote out of context is sickening and does NOT reflect the love that Christ (note the capital "C" unlike the slanderous lower-case "c" in your signature line) taught. ("Judge not..." ya' know???) ....and it has NOTHING to do with the topic.

If you want to thump Bibles start a thread about it. The topic of fundamentalisim should fit well in a conspiracy site since fundamentalists continually conspire to prey on the weak-minded (successfully I might add)

I thought I heard things mentioned like Christian and scripture.
I now understand that neither of those are wanted here. Sorry for going off topic.

Apology accepted. Now if you'd like get back ON TOPIC and add to the discussion about the fact that a single Anglican Bishop in a solitary Anglican Province spoke out against Freemasonry and it hasn't happened again (publicly at least) then please tell us what you know about the subject.

Regards,

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

You can have your personal belief, but below I quoted Jesus.

actually what you quoted was Matt.. which many biblical scholars believe to be
if not written by Paul , at the least based on Pauline thought.

hey Axeman and Senrak maybe we need some

top topics

join